[Suggestion] Esamir - "Shattered Warpgate Time Flux" Concept.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Amador, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Amador

So, in the midst of reading the forums I was struck by an idea or an epiphany of sorts... So, picture this...

Esamir is one of Auraxis' most recently "unstable" continents to date. When the Shattered Warpgate exploded, you can also see that the central core of it has expelled debris which appear "frozen in time" or in a state of "stasis".

Because the Shattered Warpgate appears "Frozen in Time" it creates a visibly plausible basis for the continent to act abnormally, or perhaps even to have the Storm try to break free from the Containment Sites...

As in... The possibility of going back in (altered) time...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    PROPOSAL:
    What if Esamir has a "Shattered Warpgate Time Flux" event, where upon Esamir being unlocked after a previous continent closure (post Alert) that there is a 50/50 chance of switching between "Old Esamir" and "New Esamir".

As in... Esamir as a continent is in a state of "flux" and it randomly (or predictably) switches between the "past" and the "present". Allowing players to "go back in time" occasionally and play Esamir before the catastrophic Shattered Warpgate event which altered the continent in the aftermath.

Perhaps even giving "Old Esamir" a minor makeover with a bizarre skybox or strange visual phenomenon to give the player an eerie feeling that they're in a place that's no longer the present...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    https://ibb.co/nkM4w3y
    [IMG]

What do you think about that? The ability to switch back and forth, between "before" and "after" Esamir.
    • Up x 2
  2. Liewec123

I would LOVE to play on old esamir again, so I approve!
    Some people complained about the northern warpgates, but I loved the north fights!
    Old esamir was multitudes more enjoyable than new 'Less-amir'

To keep the north eastern warpgate haters happy I propose that we simply swap position of the NE warpgate and the amp station to the south.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  3. Johannes Kaiser

Proposed something similar for the anniversary, that every continent has a chance (though less than 50%) to open up in a previous iteration.
    • Up x 1
  4. Amador

I don't see how people complained about the North East Warpgate, as it is nearly identical to the South West Warpgate.

To say that one is "broken" while the other is "fine" leaves me scratching my head. Probably yet another bout of complaints from a loud and out-of-touch minority that ruined it for everyone else - as usual.

I personally miss the ground fighting that took place across the frozen ice rivers. Flooring it with racer chassis with guns blazing while crossing open terrain was a hoot. One of the few places where ground vehicles had a huge place to "play".

But on another note...

... You might be surprised, but this comment of yours in another thread is what gave me this idea. Hopefully we'll see something like this arrive one day.
    • Up x 1
  5. MonnyMoony

I wish they would just revert Esamir.

The shattered warpage area is wasted since the campaign ended - and the containments sites aren't good IMO.
  6. RabidIBM

It was an issue of base count. If either side fully secures the nothern bio lab then they are adjacent to a warp gate base. Pubs invariably attack the warp gate base forcing a strong response. Then, "while we're here" they attack the bio lab, then want to secure it, and the pubs attack the warp gate.

The west lane had Jaeger's crossing and Snowshear Watchtower as large 3 point bases to repel the pubs before the warp gate was threatened.
  7. Johannes Kaiser

It used to be super fun to play there. But since noone's there any more, this isn't going to happen again. What might help is events that only count stuff happening in the SWG zone.
  8. RabidIBM

This inspired me to go digging through old files and pull out my own attempt from months ago to try my own hand at "wtf to do with Esamir?". IMO any good continent design will start with designing the lattice layout, then making terrain around the lattice. If you make the terrain first, then try to figure out where the bases and lattices go you will get an incoherent mess. The following is my craptacular MS Paint skills based attempt to draw the lattice layout of what an Esamir designed by myself would look like.

Disclaimers and caveats etc:
    -I have no skills in graphics design
    -The picture is not to scale. Imagine it squished so that all warp gates are the same distance from each other.
    -Don't worry about some lines being black and others being green, this is the result of me going through a few iterations of this.
    -I was going for a "wheel with spokes" concept, but added some more hubs to make it not quite so MOBAish. Any obvious gaps in the lattices could be justified with mountains and valleys.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  9. MonnyMoony

Yep - there were some great battles - and some unique mechanics too (like being able to salvage enemy vehicles).

I don't understand why they didn't keep it up. Now it's just a complete dead area of Esamir that nobody goes to. Why can't there be alerts that take place there - kinda like the aerial anomalies used to be - that resurrects these mechanics, even if only temporarily.

It seems a waste to have programmed all of that stuff - for it to only be for a short campaign.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pikachu

Revert Esamir you say... like this?
    [IMG]
  11. RabidIBM

Doesn't have containment sites? I'd take it over the current build.
  12. Pikachu

It's the first version.