[Suggestion] Water suggestions?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mechwolf, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Mechwolf

When it was announced that water mechanics will be added to other continents, I wondered if these would be added with this update...

The original basilisk and drakes being able to have some kind of underwater functionality would add more value to the old guns after the new ES weapons come out.

Underwater chassis would be great, to increase speed underwater or on the water.

Gate shield diffuser to make wheeled vehicles dive? I noticed when wheeled vehicles start floating, they can be sitting ducks, and have no real defences, so if a GSD could temporarily make these vehicles dive, it would add more functionality to the GSD, and could make for some really cool water/beach battles.

Underwater control points/submerged bases? The camp tunnel for the campaign was a pretty cool idea, but it would be better if instead of a camp tunnel, there was a more open capture point in the water, OR bases that had parts of them flooded.
  2. Demigan

My suggestions:

Dont waste more resources on it.
    • Up x 1
  3. krozerg

delete water from oshur, make it a dried seabed, will greatly improve the map. forget the water combat meme ever happened
  4. Mechwolf

You have a point, but maybe something more of a "high tide, low tide" situation would be better suited, for all maps... they'd technically double the map capacity, and keep players who are set in old ways happy.
  5. Mechwolf

The water mechanics add another layer to this game, as somebody who has been playing for 8 years, I'm happy that there's something outside of the "adad/strafe warrior" scope when it comes to infantry combat.

I do want most abilities to work underwater though, I think the devs were terrified of heavy mains complaining about infiltrators again, but they disabled a lot of gameplay...

Personally, i think a select fire mode for weapons to shoot underwater would be better than the current "underwater guns" model, and those weapons having very low damage at mid-far range. NC could have a jackhammer that could deal OHK knife damage at OHK knife range, and then have a quick dropoff at 5 meters. TR could have an underwater chaingun type, with the same effects.
    VS could have some weapon that deals less damage, but steady damage throughout at the same distance as the chaingun, with higher velocity.

NSO's should be able to move faster through the water, and probably have something like the underwater pistol, but again, with much higher dropoff.

For long range, they could put in a sniper and rockets that shoot "harpoon and torpedo like" shots, and they'd have very low projectile speed, enough speed to even see the shot, and have a chance to duck/get out of the way. Rockets should pierce soft targets but move slow, and if they're shot upwards, deal 1/3 damage to targets above water.
  6. Mechwolf

Hey, just a thank you to the dev who put GSD submerging in.

Hopefully there will be some partially flooded bases (similar to the camp tunnel of the campaign, but more entrances obviously) in the future.
    • Up x 1
  7. AuricStarSand

Everything is solved with a 2nd tactical slot. :)

Tho really, how about 8 variants of underwater movement options for all classes & every class gets to equip 2 variants. Meaning 1 underwater pack makes you dash forward & another skims & another skips & another drifts sideways, idk, tho would be neat to have people hitting different angles with 2 different tactical water jetpacks out of 8 movement option jetpacks available.

Or swimming fins or something scuba gear I don't know.

Or How about a land base where the only way to enter is from underwater? Similar to " The Rock ".

Most of what I want for underwater fights has to do with kelp forests & underground flooded tunnels. Not just some open area with a few coral & 10 kelp that barely hides anyone enough. I don't know if addding more trees tanks the server, tho seeing how Esamir shattered warpgate had a lot of trees & didn't tank the server. They have been really going too easy on how to HIDE infantry with TREES.

I mean Hossin has a freak ton of trees, it all just has nothing to do with hiding infantry for infantry fights. lol.

WHERES THE BUSHES essentially. Wheres the darn dang nabit bush fight, literally. There isn't one anywhere for all planets. Not one bush fight for infantry. All of it is either door room holds or open fields with little to no trees or bushes. Barely enough boulders where we want them *cough* rock bridge *cough*. Zero trenches. No Vietnam. Not enough glowing purple trees. & so on.

Where's the Jungle? Where's the 4th faction? A 4th faction that doesn't hold bases or try to win alerts, tho just gets to travel the map freely & use Gorilla Warfare tactics, like a band of rebels.

How about mini torpedoes for infantry, until they add tougher to implement boat sized torpedoes.

Ultimately ye, kelp, tunnels, sunken bases, networks of caves, a 2nd tactical slot for more swimming gear, & other random underwater infantry battlefield features.

SIEGES everything for Oshur should have the theme reworked to be a map for SIEGES & not for back & forth tug of war ninja'ing for the alert. No alert winners, just siege environments.

Also not able to go invis underwater as Infil, I'm not sure about that, why use infil underwater then? you don't. Some of these " not able to use underwater " stuff may be too limiting for good infantry fights.

Def don't want to fight around coral only, unless they add a ton of kelp, if it they don't add kelp, then yes would have to be a downed sub with 4 hallways to explore. Tho really the best bet is waterfall tunnel systems that lead to underwater bases beyond the waterfall tunnel.
  8. Mechwolf

I don't know if this could be implemented... but engineers having a once per deploy "air bubble" tactical, that sets 5-15m bubble on the sea floor for 1 minute that makes the area dry space.

Advantages:

1. Teams having quick pathways underwater for infantry/vehicles.
    2. Vehicles having a small bubble to shoot in.
    3. GSD vehicles being able to "dock" for a brief period of time underwater without deploying.
    4. Infiltrators and Heavies could use tacticals in a limited area, but only with the help of an Engi.
    5. C4, mines, and other deployables could be deployed while in the bubble, as well as functioning turrets.
    6. Obviously a small area for surface-level movement speed.
    7. Players who are behind cover in a fight could use it to gain movement speed advantage in their cover spots, but also makes it apparent there's players taking cover there.
    8. Engineers could repair vehicles underwater.
    9. Medics could revive underwater, but only with the help of an Engi.
    10. Surface weapons could be used in a limited area.

Disadvantages:

1. Bubble could have a texture that makes it harder (but not impossible) to see underwater targets past the bubble.
    2. Bubble is pretty visible to underwater players, and still transparent enough see enemies in.
    3. Given the size/visibility of the bubbles, players may be able to predict pathways before they're made.
    4. Engineer is technically the weakest class in dry combat, other than the shield recharge delay.
    5. Any turrets deployed underwater would work for a very limited time in a very limited space.
    6. Sweeper Hud would be able to detect mines fairy easy with ample time to slow down.
    7. Speed of bubbles being made would technically be limited to infantry sprint speed, or pre-determined positioning, and would take 10 organized players to give 1 minute of 50-150 meters worth of pathway.
    8. Tactical deploy items typically take roughly 2-3 seconds to actually deploy, so it couldn't be used for 1v1 quick-drop.

Maybe Seraph Shield could also give this benefit for underwater use.

I suggest for sake of vehicles not flying around, you use the 2/3 rule for vehicles, where if 2/3 or more of the vehicle is inside, it's considered dry, OR just have it considered dry when it's touching the bubble because "nanites" but it would have an extremely limited distance working cannons (like 5-25 meters for shells, and 15-40 for bullets) because "water physics."

Honestly idk enough to know if you can have the cannons shooting down these bubble pathways like it's dry land, but I do know that curves in the bubbles would make it increasingly difficult for players to pull off if it was possible.
  9. OneShadowWarrior

The water physics are actually a great design. The problem is figuring out how to create battleflow in I guess Aquaman stylized fights, since the vast majority of physics were designed for air or ground battles. I would rather they get rid of construction capture points period and go back to basic bases, which is really what I was hoping for, just bio domes or things to take you below the water to see the visuals in an aquarium type fighting setting. I never expected to see full blown James Bond Thunderball fights, still don’t see them even in the present state.

So many elements are just not there that you see in ground fights. They should just continue refining the map till they find the sweet spot and continue presenting more maps.
  10. Mechwolf

I think adding "flooded" and "melted" variants of Indar and Esamir, as well as a "low-tide" variant of Oshur, and "autumn" Amerish, would add a lot to the game, however I believe they should credit these variants to "seasons" and not "major world changing events" so as to have these maps in a fluctuating rotation without deleting the previous maps. It would please the players who like change as well as the players who are dry-hards (ha).

And this would technically add 4 more maps to the game... I just don't see Amerish having the ability to have a water variant due to how the map is topographically or logically, given it's supposed to be a high-altitude area anyway, and has no history (or really business) of big bodies water.

I DO however see an autumn variant of Amerish being viable, so having deleted foliage and leaf-less trees and snow making it easier to see vehicles on the ground, it would mostly just be texture change, but it would still be change.

Esamir could have it's gigantic river turned into the underwater variant as well as a few "pool areas" of melted ice, turning existing bases into underwater bases, or at least surrounded with water.

And as far as I know, "flooded Indar" was already on PTS, it's just getting the water levels right that could prove a challenge, given the northern WG would have the majority of water.
  11. RabidIBM

Yeah, definitely don't spread the water beyond Oshur.
  12. AuricStarSand

Esamir requires those purple trees everywhere, shattered jungles mid of map. Surrounding watersons or somewhere else better.

Indar requires sand storms with trucks to drive. mad max style. & lots of rock bridges.

Amerish requires field trench fights with rivers for infantry to run around. Splashing river infantry region. Grass, leaves, waterfalls.

So the only map water would work, that players wouldn't mind having edits. Is Hossin. However a swamp lake at night, sounds okay. Isn't Gourney Dam partly water? Just surround Gourney dam with a fog swamp the size of 4 regions & wa la. Nasons is bordering a lake Bayou.