Kill it with Hardware: a lack of difficulty.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Your Secret Admirer, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Your Secret Admirer

So I had worked very hard to obtain a 1.6 KDR over the last 3 months in PlanetSide, the experience was rough but rewarding.

I bought a new mouse, a razer Deathadder V2, a 2x3 ft mouse pad, set my mouse to 20,000 DPI, and then sensitivity scaled it down to 1/4 of my horizontal resolution: 480, change my vertical FOV to 59 to provide me with a 90° horizontal fov.

All of these provided small but significant improvements in my gameplay experience, I was still running on a 48-in television with a 60 hertz refresh rate, running black frame insertion to reduce blur.

And then I made a critical mistake which is now ruined the game for me but in an unexpected way.

I purchased a 32-in, 1080p, 240 HZ monitor, which my 1660 is more than capable of driving at 240 FPS.

My kdr skyrocketed, certain sessions awarding a massive 6 kdr.

But it has completely eliminated the challenge for the game, having four times the number of frames per second to predict motion has made me a master sniper.

Do all FPS games have this effect from additional hardware? Is this somehow unique to planetside? Could this explain PS2's relative obscurity compared to it's expansive features?

60hz to 240hz is just game breaking, but it feels euphoric.
  2. OneShadowWarrior

Frames wins games. That being said a gaming mouse with a a top notch sensor are also big game changers.

I don’t run a high DPI 800 and use a Razer Basilisk V3 because I am a palm gripper. The thing I love about the Basilisk is the tactile scroll wheel and lots of buttons.

Yes, going to a 240 hz gives you peakers advantage, it’s been proven. You’ll see your opponents before they see you and your chances of hitting go way up.

I’ve gone full ergonomic on my setup with a standing desk and monitor arm, even the chair. The more comfortable you can get with your peripherals the greater your odds go up on any game.
  3. melioa

it does not matter what hardware i use, as any advantage on my part goes right out of the window as soon as i hit up on a nice FAT joint :D
  4. AuricStarSand

I run a 60 to 80 fps laptop (sometimes less), so it's nice to hear that fps helps that much. As I often know which vet has good fps, due to how fast they respond.

When I watch Camikazee78's stream, I'm often amazed how easy & smooth it is for him to line a headshot or how stable it is to shoot a HA gun. For streams. & that's from someone with australian ping too, yet more stable shooting.

FPS probably has to do with people finding me, since I main stalker.
    The only thing fps doesn't seem to matter for, is vehicle driving, & LA c4 stuff.

I mean theirs other elements that fps doesn't matter for, sneaking, map strategy, troop motivation, flanking, ect.

However your example of using a sniper is probably the worst gun type to use as an example. Sniper is the easiest gun to get killstreaks with so is scout rifle, so main'ing either of those 2 may not be a good example.

I've mentioned how I wish they'd nerf sniper & scout rifle dmg at near to medium ranges & only allow scout or sniper rifles to have good dps at far range. That way even if you have amazing fps, you're only able to 1 or 2 hit with those guns from range, yet not able to run around killing people as easily at medium range or shorter.

Tho ye fps still really matters for other guns too, like Assault rifles. TBH tho I don't know of any far range sniper, that doesn't eventually get countered, its the medium range ones that require nerfing. As for the other gun types, yes fps helps a lot, tho more so for small battles. For big battles it's somewhat fair game, I mean I do kill people who have twice the fps I have, quite often. All the vets die.

If a vet who has twice my fps kills me a few times, well I usually figure out his playstyle, use a few tricks, & eventually tie the score.
  5. Mechwolf

I play Playstation... our only hardware advantage is a $300 mouse and keyboard setup