Sunderers drive way too poorly around hills & they turn too slow

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AuricStarSand, Sep 14, 2022.

1. AuricStarSand

Sunderers are on my last nerve. Maybe because I've been playing low lvl alts & I've had hundreds of my busses killed by the enemy faction this week. While I have deploy shield & that's it. Basi guns suck & don't help fend off anything, so there goes any noob trying to defend their own sunderers.

Tho besides my sunderers dying left & right, as my alts are BR 20 or something. The most annoying thing about sunderers isn't how easy it is to kill them while driving. It's how SLOW they drive.

I've had to buy Racer speed 2 spec for sunderers with my lowbie alt & even I had the 3 tier max rank, sunderers still drive aweful. I'm so over how aweful they drive. It's probably on the top 3 list of the most annoying things I've experienced in this game. Is driving a sunder around hills my god. Love the game & not a fan of driving on hills. Even hills that are suppose to be fine for vehicles, the sunderer slides all around all slowly, I want to punch the gears of the bus.

Right now I'm trying to ninja a sunder from Ascent, over the fence, with every noob shooting at me, way too easily for any noob LA to stick c4 on my bus. Than I fall off the hill & slide alllllll the way down, from C point area of Ascent, to the road below A >.> (if I don't get stuck at a boulder half the time) while some LA jumps me from the high ground with rokket rifle.

Or take the hill that's near Rockslide, all those hills east of Rockslide. The Rockslide hills to hide your sunder near A, aren't even tall. Yet the sunder slides all around, barely able to get up the hills, some baby hills. Or the other day we fought at ARX, my sunderer barely got up any of those hill for the north side of ARX. Sliding all around, falling off, not even inverted hills, just regular barely slanted hills.

Or taking turning, trying to get a sunderer to turn is SOOOOO LAME, just turn you heavy freaking whale of a vehicle. Turn at top speed BETTER already. Why is it turning 1 inch per veer, turn 4 feet better.

Without some new spec people have to gear for, how about make sunderers turn x2 better & make reverse faster too. & able to scale hills x4 better. Without some " hill climbing spec ". A hill climbing spec is something somebody is gonna forget to equip b4 they scale a hill, so I'd rather just the default sunder scale hills better & turn better.

Sorry for the non positive post, tho I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds sunderers lack of turning & lack of hill climbing to be one of the most waste of time experiences of the game. One of the few features where I'll yell at the screen, is a sunder sliding down a hill over & over.

That is all for fix, ty.

- Tired of backing up super slowly while getting shot from the rear.
    - Tired of sliding down a hill that doesn't even seem steep at all.
    - Tired of barely able to turn the steering wheel while driving at max speed.
    - Tired of low lvl alt sunderers having no weapon certs to defend themself from lightnings.

The only time a sunderer is fine is when they are parked, with allies helping repair. Tho for all the driving stuff they are way too weak. Like I said blockade armour isn't good enough, I'd rather have 40% more hp & rid the c4 defense.

P.s. I don't even shoot enemies who drive basi sunderers half the time, I spare them. As low lvl people have their busses killed too often.
    • Up x 2
  2. DorinFoehammer

We've begged the Devs for years to fix the traction of vehicles to go from frustrating to fun...it's not hard. Sunderer's are the worst when it comes to driving followed by the Vanguard. Anytime vehicles get on a slant the physics start to get weird. Wrel once posted a video of increasing the performance on a Vanguard...he should just pull the trigger and do it for all the vehicles.
    • Up x 6
  3. Liewec123

I remember that video, it was a turn of the knife in our wound..."see how easily I could fix things for you?! But I wont."
    He put in the time to fix the problem, make a video of it and then he didn't fix the problem, that is some next level spite right there.

I would just be happy with my sunderer driving the direction that I choose on a slope...

And while we're fixing sunderer can we remove the giant vision-obscuring bubble from cloak?!
    Its so ironic that you can't defend the cloak bus from a c4fairy because you cant see him...
    And also the giant bubble makes cloak busses easier to find than stock ones in most situations...
    The most expensive thing in the game, a 'stealth' upgrade that let's enemies know where you are,
    Even through the damn walls...
    Get rid of it, it's completely counterproductive.
  4. TrojonKing 1st

I just love the the fact that my big *** sunder get's rolled by a bloody little flash driving alone side me.
  5. Your Secret Admirer

Not sure why the hired Wrel just to have him slap his name a roster and then put him in the broom closet.
  6. Amador

It's funny you mention this, as I was just thinking about this the other day. Reminding myself how much I hate driving Sunderers as they just... slide everywhere. They're also nose-heavy, so if you're going up a hill and you start sliding then they want to spin back around and go downhill. It's been like this for YEARS!

... They should literally replace the Sunderer's current vehicle handling with the ANT after some minor tweaks.

If any DEV is currently reading this, for the love of everyone's sanity, just give the Sunderer the same handling as an ANT. And then just tweak that template by reducing uphill traction slightly (so it doesn't act like a magnet) and adjust the turning radius for the Sunderer appropriately (because it has a longer wheelbase) and we should be golden.

That's it. That's all you have to do. Years of torture brought to an end.

I don't care if the Sunderer "wont flip back over" if it lands on its side. If someone flips the vehicle, then it's their fault. If a Sunderer was designed correctly and drove consistently in the first place then you wouldn't need to worry about it flipping over!

If you can't do it for the players, then do it to save a broken keyboard.
  7. JibbaJabba

Runs Racer chassis instead of Rival Combat chassis.

Comes on forum to complain it won't turn.

LOL. This post is hilarious :D :D :D
  8. AuricStarSand

Heh true.

I didn't really ponder combat chassis till after posting.

Tho after pondering. I don't really value combat chassis for harasser or sunderer. Some guy tried to show me a video of harasser combat chassis having some pro use. They said max speed is maxed, no matter the chassis. Which is true. Yet still find racer better for outrunning other harassers & daredevil for everything else.

As for sunderers, I honestly don't want to go slower than racer 2 or racer 3 spec, ever. Often times I take my sunder to siege the Crown. From the Crown's garage, when you hack their term. You pull a sunderer & try to throw it over the wall leading to C. Theirs a fence there in between Crown garage & c point. So you need racer 2 at least, to get your bus to prop above the crate or box, that gets you over the fence. If you have racer spec 1 (not 2 or 3) or a turning spec, often times you'll not be able to prompt on top of the box that gets you over the fence. While enemies shoot your sunder from the tower with launchers or turrets, you have to speed over that fenze fast. Tech. there's another route to C from the A point bridge area, yet may need racer for scaling the hill there anyways.

Then lets take even ground (not hills) & does turning chassis help you dodge enemy tank shells? Not really. So it just helps dodge enemy HA launchers? Tho I'm able to dodge enemy HA launchers with racer spec. So what IS a combat or turning spec used for?

For harasser the only reason to not use daredevil, is to escape other enemy harassers with racer spec. So where does turning spec see use? It either doesn't or is too niche.

For sunderer, does combat chassis help you dodge tank shells, the main reason for turning? Not really.

Solution. Combat chassis would require a drift effect, for me to drift 20 yards on the grass for harassers & sunderers. If it doesn't drift distances, then it's less useful than racer usually. Also drifting isn't turning, it's more like a side skip for yards upon yards. To dodge tank shells. Turning just has the tank still hitting you, while you averagely turn slightly better.

& yes I wouldn't want a hill climbing spec for sunderers once again, it's not really something I want to have to equip b4 randomly scaling a hill. As I don't always plan for mountains or want to. Would prefer default better hill climbings & turn speed for racer.

Also a bus without racer, is essentially moving at slug or snail lvls of speed. Super slow, too slow. The point of " turning spec " is if it allowed you to blitz into 2 or 4 enemy tank lines & somehow run through them all & drive past them, juke their tank shells & somehow manage to survive, while your 2 gunners kills 1 of the tanks, as you jolt past their barricade. Then the turning would be some drift effect that dodges tank shells.

Yet instead of that, we get neither best of the 2, only 1 of the 2. Which is A) Use racer spec speed to run past them, barely, as the bus never moves fast enough to dodge anything with speed alone, so you're already at half hp or less, trying to drive past their barricade or tank fireing line. Or B) Try to dodge their tank shells with a turning spec, yet you're moving so slow, that turning on its own isn't enough to dodge anything.

Overall the game has really bad optimization of what a BATTLE BUS is. BATTLE means MOVING bus. So far all the specs are for parking busses. Blockade armour is the nearest to a driving battle spec bus & even that spec has c4 defense meant for parking your bus or driving slow neary infantry. Tho what spec is for drive by shooting? None of them. Which is why I often ask devs, to get rid of c4 defense from blockade armour & give blockade armour 20% more hp. So it gives the bus 40%+ more hp, without c4 defense.

Lastly, Racer specs turning isn't just bad, it's near non existent at times. Like a brick on wheels. Not allowed to turn even a inch. You know how many times, I've shuttled people, only for my bus to go downhill & not be able to turn even slightly, to just hit a tree & all my squad members, have to wait for me to back up, reposition, & slowly start trying to gain speed again. Meh.

Short version: A battle bus needs to be able to drive fast AND turn fast to juke tank shells, while driving through a enemy tank formation, to reach the other side. Without losing 60% hp or dying. Plus hill climbing with a hill spec. All 3 values per 1 spec. Or else driving the bus is trash & the bus isn't fun to drive, it's just a chore to park. Since parking is all it's good for.