I'm so bored I'm downloading Everquest 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OSruinedPS1, Jun 16, 2022.

1. OSruinedPS1

Redeployside got old during Beta, it's very old in 2022.

How about this? You can only respawn in the hex you died in, and the hexes leading directly back to warpgate like "falling back". And getting cut off means something more tangible like you can only respawn in same hex or the warpgate.

This spawn whenever you want crap is turning what's supposed to be one large shared game world into something more akin to a 64/32 player shooters pretending to be a MMO like Mechwarrior Online or Heroes and Generals. Where are your standards? But instead of connecting to a different server you redeploy. How is this functionally different than Mechwarrior Online or Heroes and Generals.
    • Up x 1
  2. VV4LL3

I always like the idea that if two factions are warpgated, the third automatically wins the alert/ continent, even if there isn't an alert going on. Basically like saying "mulligan."
  3. Somentine

Go RP your mil-sim somewhere else. The game is about fights, and while there is balance to be considered regarding spawning, your idea was bad in the past and still is bad today; it promotes nothing but zergfights and ghostcaps, evidenced just a while ago when Oshur was released, and that wasn't even full restrictions.
  4. OneShadowWarrior

He is right though. Ever since they re-enabled the old spawn system. The fights have gone stale. I myself who played PS for all these years going over to other games like Rust should be a wakeup call.

They failed to address performance and now the zerg battles are even worst. It’s still sniper central with the infiltrator at the top of all the classes.
  5. OSruinedPS1

And there are no fights with redeployside.

My milsim? It takes what, 90 seconds in an ESF to fly from one side of map to the other.
  6. OSruinedPS1

Imagine if the Bastion could teleport to any base on the continent every 30 second. Yeah, pretty lame, huh.
  7. Somentine

Of course there are fights with re-deploy; but that actually ties into the whole point of the game - having fights.

And it is 30 seconds to re-deploy to 4-5 -lattice- hexes away; what's your problem then? If an ESF can do that in ~30 (90s * ~1/3), and re-deploy is ~30 (20 with the 10 second re-deploy if alive). So, you only get a situation where people are re-deploying very close to where they are, or the lane they are on, where it is -slightly- faster than pulling an ESF.

Sounds like milsim OR brainless time/effort wasting to me.
  8. JibbaJabba

We can argue about what the right solution is but I think we agree the current one is ****. The fights during an alert are just full platoons doing coordinated redeployside.

You either sleep at a 70/30 or get massacred at a 30/70 (or if you have skill, hold your own at a 30/70 until it gets ruined into a 70/30 by redeploying friendlies.) Finding a quality fight or one at least 60/40 balanced is becoming a challenge.

If you completely outmaneuver an enemy on the battlefield (via your armor zerg, or galaxies dropping behind) it does not matter.

The enemy will redeploy there as if they had logistics and thought of it 10 minutes earlier. And they'll not pay a single nanite (like you did) to do it.

It favors the defenders. It particularly favors the oblivious no skill / no strategy defenders.

What I want:
    The redeploy lattice should not be faster than flying to a distant location.
    Redeploy should not be available to distant lattice that are already overpopped.
    • Up x 2
  9. TR5L4Y3R

MWO and MMO? .... sry what? ... MWO is 12v12 for 15 minutes on random gamemode ... what the heck is MASSIVELY multiplayer about that?

also screw you the mech on mech combat is a thousand times better to what PS2´s vehiclecombat offers were it may as well take a big slice from it ...
    as well as how more willing it is to offer easier rewards and more events
  10. TR5L4Y3R

this is actualy something i can agree with .. to the point i´m wondering why RPG hasn´t managed to implement this ..
    now this may lead to less huge fights (as if there are many to begin with) but on the other side it may lead to a more ballanced distribution of pop across the continent .. it already happens (correct me if i´m wrong) that unless you are in a squad or outfit that you may not be able to spawn in a overpoped hex in a sunderer (or ANT, Galaxy, other mobile/deployable spawnpoint) that isn´t your own or belongs to a squad and in that case if a hex is overpopped and the player still wants to get there he may indeed have to travel to the location from a base in proximity ..
    or use PMB routingspires (which honestly even as a PMB builder myself i am not realy a fan off, kinda takes the point of the PMB as forward base away)
  11. Somentine

Oshur release reverted to the spawn rules before this current iteration (which was then reverted back to said rules); one of the problems was that after 3/4 hexes, you literally couldn't spawn. This made players who weren't aware of the spawn hopping trick simply not show up to fights they couldn't spawn at, and created massive zerg fights and ghostcaps with no in-between.

Perhaps if they left it as an option to spawn but increased the time to ~40 or 45 seconds it might work, but let us also remember that base caps are typically ~4 mins and that this game is literally about fights; idk if losing nearly 1/4 of the cap time just waiting to spawn for a fight (or even flying there) is good gameplay.

Maybe change the spawn rules when an Alert is triggered, but have them normal for regular gameplay.
  12. JibbaJabba

we keep getting hints from Wrel about the choice of spawn system having performance implementations or not.

It just sounds like there is some inefficient task being looped through too many iterations or something.

How often does it need evaluated? If the whole populace is out there averaging say 0.25 KPM on a continent of 1000 that's 250 spawns a minute or 4 per second. If there are gnarly fights this might be hitting close to 16 per second max I would think. If the spawn timer is 10 seconds it will have queued at least 40-160 requests at any given time.

If the calculations are light, that's nothing.

If they are heavy, inefficient, have some bad iterations I could see it getting bad.

Lot of inputs: Every spawn location on the map. The population at those locations which is changing. The lattice connections, which may change during the spawn wait. The type of spawn as well.

Of those inputs the ones that require monitoring (iteration, loops) are the ones that change. Lattice changes super slowly. Population is one that will require cycles perhaps.

Come up with a scheme that is independent of population... say time or distance based, and you may be able to get creative without having performance problems.

The current solutionof "just let everyone spanw everywhere" I'm sure is computationally cheap, but FFS Wrel this is bad man.
  13. OSruinedPS1

No there are no fights with redeploy, there are only zergfits exploiting the redeploy system destroying fights as soon as they start.
  14. OSruinedPS1

And that's exactly what this game feels like as you redeployside your way from one base to another. It feels like Mechwarrior online pretending to be a MMOFPS. With redeployside this is no longer a MMOFPS.
  15. OSruinedPS1

There shouldn't be any redeploying to advance anywhere at all, period. You should only be able to redeploy to fallback closer to your warpgate.
  16. JibbaJabba

Getting exact consensus on the new solution would be tough. Impeding folks from using the spawn system to get to somewhere they didn't work for or don't control is desirable for sure.
  17. Somentine

Straight up factually incorrect, even taken without the hyperbole.

And to be absolutely clear, zergs and zergfits rarely mass redeploy into fights like that; they redeploy into air that drops them at fights or at spawns in lanes they are already zerging down.

Despite what you think, there are still restrictions on spawning.