Latency spikes on Emerald every 30 minutes or so, unplayable.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Miss Atley <3, May 21, 2022.

1. Miss Atley <3

Every 30 minutes or so I now get this latency spike that practically disconnects me, I can be in the middle of a base fight and i cannot do anything since my connection is completely flooded with packets and stalls everything immediately, players and vehicles floating through the air and discord to max latency, I check my internet usage every time and it's planetside taking up 100% of it, I and other people who play on DSL/1mbps internet are incredibly affected by this, I'm not sure what change you made, is this the log in servers restarting automatically or something and then flooding us with packet info?

~ Thanks!
  2. Grandizer

I would suggest you test your connection for packet loss first. I'm not saying there isn't/hasn't been issues with Emerald, as my and other posts have stated, but it rules out that in part, it's also not on your end.

Speed test would not give this info as you would need to find one that also tests packet loss. DSL Reports has such a test and you can also try using command prompt to send packets to a website or IP address and see if any are dropped.

Open command prompt as ADMIN
    Choose a website like Google or Yahoo or an actual IP address
    Type it like this "ping www.google.com -n 100" ( no quotation marks)
    You can change the value of 100 to any number but this lets it ping a bit and see if any packets are dropped with large amounts

I will say though, I noticed the same issue a week or so ago where, the game was also sucking my entire bandwidth at times. Would notice at log in when server latency was in the orange and certain info in the TAB wasn't showing. When I checked a speed test while game was on in Sanctuary, I had zero upload speed, none and my usual uplaod is a solid 12mbs with Comcast. As soon as I exited the game, it returned to normal.

As of this weekend and yesterday, it hasn't happened again.
  3. Akashar

I have the same kind of problems, on cobalt, though it's much more frequent, at some points it's more than 50% of the time
  4. Mithril Community Manager

Noted, we'll keep an eye on this. Thanks all!
  5. Grandizer

Hossin right now 50, then 71ms then up to 199-246 then down and back up. Really bad
  6. OneShadowWarrior

I saw that this week on Emerald, the exact same spikes. Usually I noticed it during East Coast prime time. It’s funny now, because I play with Emerald till it goes wonky at 6 pm, only to head to Connery to see it there at 8 pm. It is fairly obvious that it happens on the servers when population exceeds 600+.

Server performance has been an issue for several years, it only became more accelerated and noticeable by the majority since the Arsenal update.
  7. Grandizer

I'm posting this to update and keep this thread active, so it helps to get attention

Indar on Emerald as of now 253+ms server ping, anywhere from 73ms and up, back and forth.
    Trying to figure out why I can't cloak and get the "nope" noise, reload twice before I reload, then see the server.
    AS of 11:43 game sounds are dropping out no and I've only been on one alert on Oshur before this one that has an hour left.

Oshur seems to accelerate the sound bug faster as I've already mentioned b4.
  8. Grandizer

12:09pm server jumping from 253ms - 498. Everyone in chat asking why DBG not feeding the hamsters