I log off when Oshur is the only map.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by A-T-L, Feb 23, 2022.

1. A-T-L

I don't use reddit or these forums so idk the meta opinion on Oshur but I want to be honest with the Dev team.

When login and Oshur is the only available map, I just log off. It's a terrible map, terrible design, terrible bases, terrible flow, cluster fudged, and imo zero fun. The water mechanics would never pass QA in any gaming company other than this one and the map, honestly reeks of inexperience. You guys need to install UT2004 and a handful of their community's most popular created maps and try to get an understanding of how to create a good map. There's nothing you can do to fix Oshur. It just needs to be scrapped.

When you guys implemented Koltyr as a smaller population after hours map, it was actually really fun. It definitely lacked essential things like cortium, access to all vehicle types, rewards for winning an alert, and bases were almost impossible to cap but Koltyr had potential. Most importantly though, Koltyr was really fun. Oshur is so terrible, it has zero potential. I know you guys are using it as a marketing tool but idc how good the box looks, if I open the product and there's a bag of poo in the box then I'll just throw it away. In my opinion it's bad for new players and I don't know a single veteran that likes it.

At the very least, whenever Oshur opens up, make sure another map is available too. I know that you guys exist off of reddit feedback and/or maybe these forums too but regarding in game /yell comments, nobody likes Oshur and I can't tell you how many platoons I've been in where 1/2 of the platoon logs off when Oshur is the only available option.

Seriously, swallow your pride and just remove it. Or maybe ask the community in a poll to vote on it, and use that poll as a feedback tool to determine whether or not you should keep it.

I have small windows of playtime so when I log in and Oshur is the only map it's disheartening. & it's not because I don't like Oshur, literally nobody likes Oshur.
    • Up x 6
  2. Zen_Master

People have been saying this about Hossin for years.

I personally dislike Koltyr.

The roadmap states Oshur will continue to be updated.

You cannot pretend to speak for everyone.
    • Up x 4
  3. Mocheezy

Same here, I was having a BLAST playing today. I was settling in preparing to play for another few hours, then Oshur unlocked as the only continent and I immediatly alt+f4'd.

I've only been playing Planetside for a few months, but it has been one of my favorite games to play ever. I find myself constantly just saying "okay I'll play one more alert", then it's 6 hours later and I'll I've done that night is play planetside.

Now when Oshur is the only option I know that any other game will be a better use of my time and I log off to wait for the next continent. Then most of the time I end up not logging back onto planetside because I get into the other game I'm playing.

I'm sure that there are some people who like the map, but for me, even when I am having so much fun with planetside that I lose track of time, it is a bad map. Also important to emphasize again that I don't just mean it is worse than the other maps when I say it's bad, I mean that playing it is a net negative. If the choice was play an alert on Oshur, or sit quietly in a chair staring at a wall for an hour and half, I would choose the chair, because playing Oshur is worse than doing nothing, and FAR worse than other entertainment options available.
    • Up x 1
  4. RabidIBM

Oshur needs a lot of work and some of it's bases need to be completely redone, but it's still better than Hossin.
  5. TR5L4Y3R

i still take hossin over amerish
  6. Caesar86

Oshur is bad because of the huge zergs and people running away from the zerg. If you want to fly but veterans are destroying you, Oshur's water is an option to survive.
    Otherwise, claiming Koltyr was better is laughable. It was more fun because most of the people want to play CoD-like games and PS2 is far from it, yes, but Koltyr is bare-bones against the design of Oshur.
    I also avoid Oshur like the plague, but it's because of the flow of battle.
    • Up x 1
  7. Liewec123

i seriously dislike Hossin because of how dark it is and also how much it channels you through canyons,
    its a very linear overly cluttered dark mess, BUT atleast its planetside 2, the gameplay is still the core gameplay.
    sporadic vehicle gameplay but with infantry at its core.

World of Tanks however (AHEM* sorry i mean "Oshur") is NOT planetside 2,
    it is a map primarily designed for vehicles in a game designed primarily for infantry.
    this isn't the same as people disliking hossin for all of hossins problems,
    this is wrel trying to make a map that is completely 180 opposite of what planetside 2 is.
    you can't make a successful vehicle map in a game where vehicles have 9 minute cooldowns...

i'm 100% with the OP, if Oshur is the only map then i won't find any fun in planetside 2, because oshur IS NOT planetside 2.
    if i wanted to play World of Tanks, i'd go play World of Tanks...
    as i said at the start, i seriously dislike Hossin, but the last time i played, me and half of the population chose to get zerged, spawncamped and warpgated by VS on Hossin rather than endure the abomination that is Oshur.
    that is how bad the map is.

its pretty, its beautiful, and the gameplay is f%%king awful.
    • Up x 1
  8. Avrien

I've been grabbing sundies and trying to do vehicle repair for the hordes on the ground. It's the same as the other lattice maps at that point. If oshur is bad so are all the other nerfed conts. Technically it's the same thing with water. Literally.

I think they should make it more dynamic.

1. Make it so all conts start as open with no lattice.
    2. Make lattice an installable module outfits use to make it easier to defend.
    3. Make all the current and past methods and make them part of the game similarly in a more dynamic modifiable way.

Every existing and past game idea, including ps1 caverns and conts/orb planets, is a viable idea. Make them all exist.

Another Auraxian tech could be found and controlled to allow a faction/outfit to change conts to orbs vs continents. Make this all stuff for players to fight over. This could be a future patch(assuming there are any) where you can go over water between conts. Changing to orb planets could force you to take future space ships and different content etc. The ideas are endless. This game could have all outfit's past stuff re-added.

Imagine this with the old base ownership thing from PS1 and outfits owning and upgrading bases to a much higher level of defense with auto defenses and way more powerful stuff for bigger fights. but outfits could need to gain resources to maintain it etc.

Basically Oshur is the preexisting lane combat without the option of having midway bases. It's that simple.
  9. Eberron101

I go to Oshur when I need to make my dinner/eat or do other stuff. Since its pointless playing infantry there I just get a rep or ammo sundy and just sit in the middle of 500 tanks raking in the repair xp. Most of the alert is a row of tanks facing each other on two islands firing at each other for an hour and 30 mins.
    • Up x 1
  10. Kapyong

Different strokes for different folks :)

I only login for Oshur - it's new and different - we don't all know every rock and twig.
    Some issues, but I just treat them as a challenge and take a different approach.
    I see huge battles, smaller ones, and ghost caps - each can be fun at times. Plenty to do or try.

It's the TIMING that annoys me - in the last two weeks I've seen Oshur open 3 times during my waking hours. The last six days in a row I woke up to Indar, and almost saw it to Oshur by bedtime. Got up real early today and Oshur is open ! :) 12 mins left :(

The daily cycle seems to be about 22-23 hours, and I also have a daily cycle of about 22-23 hours (yes, I'm a little odd.)
  11. Yug0sRouge

I fully agree with you and feel the same way.
    Worst map by far, the fact that the map is split into these "lanes" makes all battles just a gigantic frontal charge MOSHPIT where you have no room to try maneuver or flank, cuz you just have these lanes and 300 players in a small area. Not to mention the AWFUL frame rates on it. For some reason it's the only map that makes my game stutter.
    The water "mechanics" are basically non-existent, you can't swim, you just drop down on the bottom and walk like those skeletons from Pirates of the Caribbean LOL. I would understand if this was the active mechanic for the Max and Heavy but all other classes should be able to swim, at least a little bit. When I see Oshur, I basically treat it as if it said "The server is down, please try again later", I just exit the game.

Next one I hate is Hosin (those weird tree formations that channel you into places in ways which I find confusing, also not rly much to look at in the map, it's just a dark forest) but I at least consider it playable, though much less enjoyable then others.
  12. JibbaJabba

Yet another opinion:

Hossin is my fav, hands down. Hardmode. Very challenging.
    Amerish/Indar tied for 2nd
    Oshur is next. It's Easymode.
    Esamir is last.
  13. AuricStarSand

Oshur needs a event of some sort. Tho so does Hossin. Just those 2 maps. Something to give these maps purpose.

Yes Oshur with its lanes. If Oshur had more seaport fights or some type of interesting fight than ok. Some Oshur bases don't even have a Vehicle term, so once you cap them your only allowed to pull air, so it leads to redeployers leaving after the cap. When Oshur starts it just seems too objectiveless. At least the other maps aren't only lanes. So def Oshur needs objectives. I'd say give sunderers +20 mph move speed, from 24 as of now, to 44+ mph sunder swim speed. Than turn Oshur into a capture the flag map.

Yeh turning Oshur into a CAPTURE THE FLAG map is the only way to save it. Goodluck trying other ways, they won't work, without a huge overhaul or a huge event. Capture the flag is the only way to make Oshur interesting & capture the flag would have to be a far journey, not just 1 base to the base next door. Would have to travel at least 3 regions over to be worth it.

So ye if they are gonna test any new capture the base modes. Oshur would be the place. Until then middle of the maps needs some vortex event. The underground mining base is good, Oshur needs more underground bases. Caves. Waterfalls & so on. Oshur requires more purple jungle trees (like the top right of Esamir has) for infantry to hide for gorilla warefare. Than yes more use of naval fighting, use of underwater fights, way more use of the seaports. A more interesting version of a seaport put in a more useful area (like a seaport in the middle of the map tbh).

I'm not a fan of the Tridents. The map is already some lane map & then the most important base is a base you have to fly galaxies over to reach? I guess that's kinda unique, a base only cappable for air, tho Its just so out of the way and not connected to the main land, it seems like not even apart of the main land regions. Meaning the synergy of the tridents, doesn't seem like it adds anything to the land regions. It's just a floating prop in the middle of the sea. It doesn't bridge good enough to the land, not that it should have a literaly bridge, idk. Tho for a map that already has lanes, I don't know if some disconnected region like a trident, was the best way to go. I mean what to people do after a Trident cap? they either redeploy or fly some esf's & get shot down. The synergy or objective after a trident cap, usually doesn't equate to much or anything.

Maybe they should give Oshur some extra bonus sideline regions, the same way they added new regions or edited Esamirs zones. Some of the outskirt water areas, are now 4 new land regions with " mountains " for pilots to find cover with, as the pilots complained about no Oshur mountains to fly near or hide.

Tho ye Oshur is essentially a warpgate mobber or mid mirror bay / pommel gardens fighter / then a trident farm. Tho those are the main 3 themes, due to lanes & tridents or mid being the obvious alternative to a tank line. & those 3 themes don't make people excited to start off on a Oshur alert at the beginning warpgate. It's more of a " Oh Oshur.. lanes, tridents, & mid.. ok ". Somewhat enjoyable if you want to build with your ant. Tho not that exciting for vehicle or infantry play. Yet.
  14. Baneblade

Just give us Cyssor so we can never play another map again.
  15. Yaesu

For me it's Hossin. Depending on my mood I'll either play for a little bit or log off. Oshur is a healer's or engineer's kinda place. TONS of XP running around healing, repairing and dropping ammo packs all in one spot. Playing an Infiltrator is pretty sweet too. No having to find a high spot. Just sneak your way behind the enemy line can make for many kills. Guess it really depends on how well one adapts.
  16. Botji

For me the problem with 'Oh-Sure' is how super funnelled it feels to play on it, no matter what happens its guaranteed that zergs will form because thats kinda how all the lanes are laid out, they might spread out at some points but they still join up again later on which means you can usually simply just push down a single lane and that will eventually cut off the branches you did not bother with.

Imo 'Oh-Sure' could have been much better if the map was actually huge, with much larger islands, so you would have room to manoeuvrer on them and build PMBs on them. The loading screen image is a good example of how it should be playing on it, large attacks to get ON the enemy island and secure beachheads. Then Ants setting up bases there to push further inland.

With the Shattered WG on Esamir I was really excited with the big NW experimental area that was a big free for all and I was hoping 'Oh-Sure' would have incorporated that into its design with large open terrain for the players to use and instead only have a few Dev-Bases with much fewer lattice connections making the game more about territory control than "Push a Zerg down the lane"-ftw.

I still dislike Hossin more than 'Oh-Sure' simply because Hossin is even worse with giving players terrain to use, at least the water can be navigated unlike the areas outside the planned out roads on Hossin... and it can be kinda fun to roleplay a boat with the Chimera since it has quite good G2A and can putter about on the water not being bothered with some of its weaknesses(like stuff getting too close) and use its great guns at range.
  17. Tr34

Oshur feels like an empty map because there are less bases for interior fights, most fights are open-field sniper/tank fights.
    I dislike Hossin as well because of people who camp on trees and try Nason for whole alert. Another boring fight spot is Esamir/Containment Sites. They keep fights "contained" in that spot for the whole alert, also they have a boring walking distance as a labyrinth. If you like fast-action, you will hate it. I would prefer biolabs over them any day.
  18. Yug0sRouge

It would be very useful if there was some online page we can visit to see which continent(s) is currently in rotation on which server so I know not to start up PS2 if Oshur is the only option. It kind of wastes my time to have to start up the game, go and find a Warpgate terminal just to see everything beside Oshur is locked, thus the game is unplayable.
    • Up x 1
  19. TripSin

I like Oshur because it's the only continent where the flail can actually sometimes be relevant.

They should lower the restriction areas for the flail on the other continents.
  20. RRRIV

Oshur was fun for the first, like, 2 weeks when PMBs were everywhere and players were still figuring out the map.

Now? its an unfun open mess where you have 3 options for "fun":
    Flail
    Infil
    Tank