[Suggestion] Galaxy Carpet Bomber Concept

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tycoh, May 30, 2022.

1. Tycoh

[IMG]

For those wondering: "Why restrict the ability to bombard the enemy with an 'above 50 kph speed' threshold and 'above 80 meters in altitude' threshold?" It's to prevent concentrated bomb drops on top of important points/ spawn rooms by simply hovering over them. This will force the galaxy to do carpet bombing passes than concentrated dumps with impunity.

And for those questioning how the Scorpion Airburst bombs would work, I personally would just set the bomb to explode at 80 meters/altitude as from personal experimentation, it has a pretty healthy spread at that height it wouldn't be too concentrated to the point of being OP against infantry clustered around sunderers, but fairly distracting for vehicle zergs camping outside of bases, stuck at a traffic jam stalemate, or en route on a tight road and it'll be 5 consecutive bombs across a long bombing lane.
    • Up x 1
  2. BlackFox

Does it come with AA that is actually able to kill a Galaxy? Because what we have now is quite a joke against regular Galaxies bombing a battlefield
    • Up x 1
  3. Twin Suns

Pfft…. We don’t need to optimize the current AA weapon systems (fixed AA turrets, AA vehicle guns or AA rockets). Don’t worry the AMR “gimmick weapon” will save the day. \o/.
    • Up x 1
  4. AuricStarSand

Ye & let Valks drop bombs too. Tho def galaxy's as they are B-52's.
    I'm not a pilot main & have been wanting dropped bombs for a while now.
    As someone mentioned, this game mostly only has missiles & not bombs.

Just need a bomb underbelly camera to know where you're dropping & to be able to see the kills you got.
    I'd also like handheld mini dropable bombs for people who have seats on a valk to drop. Tho def a air gun type that is a bomb loader is better.
  5. AuricStarSand

While were at it; " new drop able items ". I hope my harasser 3rd seat would get new AV mines, that don't explode, tho make other vehicles bounce & nearly flip. Yet only allowed to be used during 3rd seat harasser, supplied by the vehicle for that seat. That the owner of the vehicle isn't able to switch to to use, nor 2nd gunner, has to be 3rd seat other person.
  6. Tycoh

I know that feeling. The AA in this game needs a pretty sizable buff before anything like bombers should be added.
    • Up x 2
  7. OneShadowWarrior

8. JibbaJabba

Whenever "it would be cool if you could kill enemies by doing X" comes up, you have to also consider what it would be like to get killed by X.

It's trading fun for fun. What is fun for the user of X may not be fun for the recipient of X.

The idea is to get this to not be a zero sum game. Find some way to make the engagement fun even if you ultimately lose.

Skill is a big part of this. If you die in a way that your skill has no influence on the outcome it will be frustrating and NOT fun. If you die in a way that your skill could have changed the outcome (but didn't) it can still be fun and if not, at least it won't be frustrating.

For this suggestion we have to be instantly wary because of a couple factors: 1. It's a one to many weapon. One will have fun, many will have... not fun. 2. It's a low skill weapon to use. 3. The outcome is not really influenced by the skills of those it would impact.

In it's favor though some of the suggested weapons do effects rather than outright kill. That's a safer approach to something this wide reaching.
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

I would start with introducing bombs to ESF instead.

As Jabba mentions there needs to be a way for the one getting shot at to have fun too. ESF's would be more likely to accomplish this as their bombs would be smaller and require accuracy. A tank could attempt to make the ESF miss if it passes over to drop its bomb by maneuvering. It would also reduce cheap attacks like we see with Hornets and Rocketpods where an ESF pops up behind some local cover, drops a high amount of damage on a vehicle or area and just skips back before anyone can properly retaliate.

To make sure bombs arent just much weaker than the standoff-capable Hornets and Rocketpods we nerf these weapons or give them another role. The current Rocketpods and Hornets would be better suited for a combat-helicopter variant of the Valkyrie, but outright removal from ESF would go too far. Maybe they can lay down smoke screens, nerf vehicles on hit or even be repurposed for AA duty but deal less damage in smaller AOE's to ground units.

(And ofcourse actually adding some skillful G2A that can murder aircraft rather than tell them to kindly move over).
    • Up x 1
  10. Tycoh

Dang you're right, we should be following examples like the Orbital Strike. It takes a load of skill to right click on the map and certainly doesn't disrupt the game for both teams and gives outfit officers loads of kills for free. A Galaxy with ammo/repair drops or EMP bombs would definitely be detrimental to everyones fun.
  11. Baneblade

The Galaxy is annoying enough when properly used. And we still don't have a real good way to kill it from the ground... other than when it flies right in the firing zones of MBTs anyway.
  12. Demigan

Thats exactly the reason they should be removed from the Outfit Arsenal.
  13. JibbaJabba

The orbital strike is not my favorite mechanic and I wouldn't mind if it was gone, but yes, you should be following examples like that.

The orbital strike passes test #3 that I mentioned. They added a delay and methods to avoid or mitigate it. Those hit with it have an influence on the outcome. I'm killed by orbitals a small percentage of times that I'm hit by one. Therefor it's not frustrating. It's not a win+win when it comes to fun, but it's certainly not guaranteed win+lose.
  14. AuricStarSand

WW2 is able to drop bombs. Tho apparently the future isn't?
    Game performance? Just add some bombs to drop already sheesh.

Bout time : )
  15. lemurwrangler

16. Amador

I suggested this instead, awhile back. Being more appropriate as a Liberator weapon platform.
  17. Tycoh

"3. The outcome is not really influenced by the skills of those it would impact."

Explain how a few ammo drops or low damage support explosives (Other than the scorpion cluster bombs but honestly I was hesitant about even adding that into the pic) would influence the outcome the skills of those it impacted be worse than an outfit orbital strike on demand?
  18. JibbaJabba

Hesitant or not, you did add it. That's a one-to-many weapon so take care that it's actually fun. Having a bomb drop on your head that you can do nothing about is not going to be fun. Dropped resupply certainly doesn't have this issue though.

Look, I gave you a suggestion about how to view your own ideas. How to be sure they are a fun addition to the game and not a source of frustration. Even though you were trying to be snarky about the orbital strike I still elaborated. Now I'm done. Take the suggestion or leave it.