Turn off Text Chat

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ArrowRL201, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ArrowRL201

As much as I like the game itself, the community at large is utter garbage. How do I turn off the chat so I can just do my job in peace?
    • Up x 2
  2. LodeTria

Settings > Inactive chat opactiy > 0

Dunno if it still pops up when something is said around you though.
  3. JonboyX

Click on the squad / outfit tab? If you don't have an outfit, create an outfit of one.
    • Up x 1
  4. Prudentia

ctrl + tab till you hit the items tab
  5. Ianneman

Seems like you just can't handle the banter.
    • Up x 1
  6. ElastaPlast

Less reading, more shooting. ;)
  7. Crowne

The simplest and ideal solution would be for developers to give us what just about every other game has: options to customize the chat box.
    Just simple checkmark boxes allowing us to disable /yell, but keep /region would be helpful.
    Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I use the /ignore add playername function a lot.
    It can seem like a hassle to add so many names to it, but do a few at a time, here and there. It adds up, and just 3 or 4 seconds of your typing renders their entire lifetime of typing completely irrelevant.
    • Up x 1
  8. BlueSkies

wow.. you should never play any other game if you think this community is bad
    • Up x 2
  9. HappyStuffin

Wow, you must be really fun at parties. Ironic you are asking the community for help. Perhaps you should consider asking other conceited people like yourself that live up to your privileged and entitled standards.
  10. FateJH

They probably already have him /ignored.
  11. JudgeNu

Community at large?
    /YELL is like the Media today.
    All filled with lies and empty rhetoric that only represents the minority.
    They just happen to use /YELL to spew their nonsense.
  12. Tommyp2006

Set your chat to the items/drop tab. That's what I always do. You can click and drag the bottom right corner of the chat windows to change it's size, set it to as small as you can. I wish you could just turn the thing off entirely, but unfortunately you can't. IIRC that was one of the things they were going to do in one of the QOL patches back in August, but obviously it was thrown on the list of things that never got done.
  13. JKomm

I often use the chat, specifically /yell just to engage in casual conversation with friendlies and foes, not many players like talking though which honestly it ruins the fun of the game... you'll enjoy being killed by people you can hold a conversation with more than a stranger.

Sometimes it goes south, for instance I got in an argument with a fellow NC over the range of the Mini Chaingun compared to the Jackhammer(Back me up, the Chaingun has much more range, right?)... anyways he got annoyed and ended up team killing me several times, including blowing up my MAX with AT mines.
  14. Hatesphere

I try to talk to people to, but the chat during prime time ends up being filled with people who arent exactly fun to talk with. Like people who think fun trash talking is calling everyone VS gay, or some other such uninspired BS.

And yes the chain gun has better effective range, but its pretty slow TTK at that range, usually leaving you open to the guy you are trying to kill getting headshots on you. its pretty consistent if underwhelming damage due to the COF out to like 50m though.
  15. JKomm

There are very rare times when I'll actually get angry in the chat... such as the time I mentioned earlier, after that guy began teamkilling me over such a small thing I got frustrated with him in the chat. Most times though I'll tell little jokes(Tasteful ones, not anything that may offend anyone) and just have conversations with people, including the opposing team.
  16. Redshift97

so as you can see their not even half good at failing to prove you correct but if you would like to turn of simply yell chat but leave the other channels open incase a squad or friend wants to talk to you

Simply open the ini file UserOptions.ini that can be located from the directory below and once open you can scroll down and find the catigory [DisableChatChannelOptions] and under the channels you don't want to see simply turn the 0 to a 1 :) i hope that helps
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2
    [IMG]
  17. Guazy

You can use in-game commands for this.

COMMANDS TO LEAVE CHANNEL
    > /leavechannel yell
    > /leavechannel proximity
    > /leavechannel mentor
    > /leavechannel social
    > /leavechannel region
    > /leavechannel outfit
    > /leavechannel leader
    > /leavechannel platoon
    > /leavechannel fireteam
    > /leavechannel squad

COMMANDS TO JOIN CHANNEL
    > /joinchannel yell
    > /joinchannel proximity
    > /joinchannel mentor
    > /joinchannel social
    > /joinchannel region
    > /joinchannel outfit
    > /joinchannel leader
    > /joinchannel platoon
    > /joinchannel fireteam
    > /joinchannel squad

OR you can edit lines in UserOptions.ini as Redshift97 said. Both are doing the same thing.

MY UserOption.ini
    [DisableChatChannelOptions]
    Yell=1
    Region=1
    Proximity=1
    Mentor=1
    Social=1
    Outfit=0
    Leader=0
    Platoon=0
    Fireteam=0
    Squad=0
  18. AuricStarSand

/yell or /region chat is a major part of the PS2 experience. gl trying to inspire anyone, ever. It's a map game. Most of voice chat, isn't throwing out battle advice.

Mute a person if you have to. Most vets are respectful. I'd talk less if I had a 80 to 120 fps rigg (someday). Instead of 40 to 60. Map hq either way.
  19. Exileant

o_O A little banter is fine and quite easy to ignore, it is when people start sending you hate mail that things become a problem for some, because the message chimes and appear over the center of your screen for a second. :D Personally, I love it, because it is the PERFECT color of implied tears, a cool ocean Cyan, and if you are mad enough to take the time to make a channel and type at me, you are not out there making any trouble for me. However I can see how it can be distracting for players who are bugged by little things. I ran over someone just yesterday and they threw a tantrum about it!:p

:D Hilariously it was not until 2 years ago that I learned the little chime meant someone sent a message, I look through the T.V. so I rarely catch the message because it does not register to me. If it is not a vehicle, turret, mines or a person, it cannot hurt me, so I ignore everything until I find something that can.

I used to be like: :confused: Is that a new battle status update? :eek: What is that NOISE!? Is it my PHONE!? Hahahaha! So I feel for him.
  20. OneShadowWarrior

I often wish there was a thing you can check off in general settings to turn text chat off.

The unwarranted spam from other players takes up my screen space.