Why cloak+SMG=OP? Because lag

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Badname3073, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ironeddie

Yes you make a good point. But this is also a situation where not all players can get a perfect experience all the time. The extreme ends of the spectrum will always suffer. Certainly the game shouldn't be altered to accommodate me a European playing on US servers when I have my own local servers to play on. Where I get a better connection.

Don't you think it's down to the player to create the best possible gaming experience for themselves with choices that they can have control over as much as it is down to the devs & soe?
  2. Theodwulf

as much as I hate when this happens to me...what do you want to happen? they got there without getting killed, and more likely than not they will get killed soon after they smoke you... I personally think the combo is fine and I whine alot about alot of things
  3. Badname3073

All that needs to be done is there should be a delay between decloaking and shooting which is somewhat greater than the lag.

Besides, I fail to see why infiltrators are supposed to be able to get a 100% guaranteed kill on anyone they want at will. They are not assassins, they are infiltrators.
    • Up x 1
  4. WaiZen

Jumping-out of a vehicle and shooting at someone is an example of that.
    The guy you're shooting at, can't see you for about a second while you give him damage.
    • Up x 1
  5. McChimperson

The medium range snipers are way more powerful with a cloak if you get a jump on them. Instagib in the head and instagib with a bodyshot+stab.

They are seriously underrated and quite cheap.
  6. lncabin

This was the whole arugment when everyone *****ed about the ZOE
  7. Eyeklops

The extreme ends shouldn't exist. The server should have a limit that removes players with game breaking latency. It currently doesn't. Bad design.
  8. Backonos

peeker advantage is one thing but lag decloak is still BS, disable for people with high ping or decloak should have ping added to it.
  9. TR5L4Y3R

i take cloak + smg over cloak + BAS ... the latter is more frustrating with lag
  10. Somentine

As much as this is still a very real and relevant issue, this is a thread from 2013. Been seeing a lot of necro posts recently; ya'll need to look at the dates before replying.
    • Up x 3
  11. SilvAries

I'm always amazed at how people flip it when talking about the Infiltrator cloak but are totally fine with the HA overshield...
  12. AuricStarSand

SMG is the least played Infil gun type spec. For a reason. It's not easy to killstreak with.

SMG doesn't really use deep op as your cloak only lasts 12 sec. So why bother with extra invis. May use it, may not. So if you don't use deep op, enemies will always see you. Without deep op you get shot at medium range, while running around invis.

Even if you use deep op for smg infil, you're still more likely to die to any other type of infil than smg. Scout infil for example score more kills. I play pistol / knife, tho barely anyone pistol ally knives near me, so theirs barely any stalkers as well. Most are far range Infils or not Infil at all. Some other class. If the issue is lag, sounds niche. Like what? 1 laggy smg infil, then you made a post? :p

Maybe server lag gets better 1 month from now. Tho sounds like your dealing with just 1 pro smg infil who blindsides you. For niche stuff use flashlight, lay mines down, or be near allies. However ye out of all guns Infil may use, usually smg is only so so. Not to mention you're able to commissioner 1 shot a front line infil in the face. May be tough to do against a sneaky stalker. Tho a smg infil isn't sneaky, they're only invis when engaging & not ultimately sneaky before or after that.

Edit: Woops. Ok. Stop bumping old threads.
  13. JibbaJabba

It's been the king of unmitigated festering game imbalances for nearly a decade. New customers/players quit in droves over the experience.

You'll never get the cloak fixed.

Every discussion goes the same way. All the people crutching on it have been doing it for so long they begin to mistake their success as their skill or you just needing to L2P. Watch. They'll start explaining to you how to beat it...LOL

Some of the discussions eventually settle into reality. Then things shift to the "ok, what do we do about this broken ****". It can get interesting. Many begin to realize it's not impossible to fix. And then...

Nothing.

After about a few dozen noobs ragequit forever a new thread starts up...
  14. Huggyos

I cant tell how many times infils kill me in a gaming session in that way where I have no chance to react anything, I get insta die.
    It doesn't matter if its because the horrible server lag. This game has full of incorrect game play mechanics that ruins the gaming experience. If that playstyle doesn't reward an insta kill, it wouldn't be so popular. The server lag and desync is horrible in this game in every situation. Thats why lot of times I die after like 1sec after I got behind to a cover, and needs to aim before every vehicle and enemy hugely to hit them and predict its possible movement... Worst gaming experience ever. PS2 has only 1 advantage, its unique world.
    There even often times players on server who unkillable in every situation... when I just see them, its insta die, or die without see anything just after I died...
    And DBG do nothing to compensate these issues just begging for real money.... for this...

Im playing on Cobalt with fiber connection.
    Network ping used to be like 40-50, server latency between 60-80.
  15. Baneblade

PlanetSide 2 did infiltrators wrong. Should just call them Assassins since thats all any of them do. PS1 Infiltrators were infiltrators and used their smarts to get kills. PS2 infiltrators are just irritating.
    • Up x 1
  16. Sumowning

Also that's kind of what they were designed to do, they are the stealth class. With more focus on Infantry killing as they have 0 anti-vehicle capabilities.

They did it right, just oddly named.
  17. Sumowning

You do have a chance to react, more often than not you have already made active choices to ignore the infil and thus got punished. Don't blame the game mechanics for that.

Also Clientside affects EVERYONE.
  18. Sumowning

Could it just be.. I dunno, that you are just salty and are blaming anything to justify your lack of awareness?

This "Woe is me, cloak is OP" BS has and always will be just salty ranting of players getting caught with their pants down and getting upset. Also the whole NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE argument is so overused, can we get something original?
  19. Demigan

I have played Infil as my second character and the thing is that a player with a cloak tends to try and make use of the advantages it gives. For a player to truly make an effort to find and spot an enemy infil in time you have to also increase the chance an enemy non-infil will engage you while you are looking at the likely spots an infil may hide (assuming the infil doesnt just jump out when you are looking in one spot and ambush you!). Auraxing the Infil was the fastest I've done when I started using SMG's. It was fast, dirty and cheap.

There is also a stark difference between monitors and graphics settings. When switching PC's like playing on a friends PC the differences at spotting them can be enormous, from being able to spot one 30+m away to almost not being able to see one running when they are almost against you. Players should never be at a major disadvantage simply because someone picked better (or poorer) graphics settings or had a different monitor.

The fact remains that a cloaker has a massive advantage in its chances to ambush opponents. Being able to dictate the range, when and where much better than other classes. add latency which hides the sound and decloak animation that are supposed to signal a cloaker for just long enough and you have the reason cloak is so OP.

The reason we dont get original complaints and this is overused is because its the truth. Why create false other arguments of we can simply state the truth and hope it finally lets the devs change their minds and alter an OP unfun ability to fight against?

Saying its not a problem and others should be more aware is like saying a HA overshield is not a problem you should just hit them more often with stronger weapons. While true it does not negate the fact that an advantage is had, and that advantage can be too great. Like the old HA shield which almost doubled their total healthpool.
    • Up x 1
  20. brutes359

You know. We could completely halt these arguments if they simply allowed thermals to spot infiltrators. Darklights do not offer counters to cloaked snipers, and SMG infiltrators can and will kill you 5 times over before you get close enough to illuminate them. mines tend to work against them but are impractical when you are in a large scale fight.

I have said before that Planetside 2 is a team based game for the sake of decrying lone wolf tactics, but even I must admit that the average player should not have to be a master tactician to deal with every infiltrator they come across. There must always be a counter to a class or play, and the current ones we have do not work against infiltrators.

Now I can already see the complaints brewing on how that would "Ruin" the infiltrators gameplay by ensuring they cant operate in front line combat, and I will say what I have always said in response: Infiltrators are NOT assault troopers. They are infiltrators, and they should act as such. I suggest that the thermals be given this buff so that infiltrators must truly think before they act, and to even out the playing field they should be given additional utility functions such as generator shutdown devices, E.M.P. emitter devices (plant it on a vehicle and the vehicle becomes completely disabled until someone shoots it off) and maybe even a module that lets them change their character voice to that of an enemy faction (would allow them to make fake call outs to distract the enemy). Or a HUD scrambler device that deactivates the friend/foe HUD elements so that enemies might mistake each other in dark areas of the map.

If we want infiltrators to be balanced, we should add systems that punish them for aggressive gameplay, and offer incentives for playing tactically such as xp and certs from whenever a hacked item is used, or an enemy units are diverted, or other such sabotaging activities.
    • Up x 1