[Suggestion] Controversial topic Knives

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VillusVill, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VillusVill

OK this suggestion was made by a member of my discord and before you dunk on it here it out. Bring back power knife damage to pre nerf but make it so when it is activated it reduces the player's movement speed by 10% to 20% thus letting any other infantry that see it be effectively able to out run it. Thus making it only effective at either charging into a on coming crowd or picking up people standing still/crouching.
  2. Sumowning

Thing is, they can already outrun it. The hit animation slows you down to a crawl, and because it's impossible to gain ahead of them to to enemies being an active collision box. Even if you're right behind an enemy, and swing, it will always miss.
    • Up x 2
  3. Piska

Power knife damage never was a problem, but that one specific class that used his """""balanced""""" ability to abuse this knife OHK kill potential.
    • Up x 2
  4. Demigan

The problem was the combination of OHK potential and a class that can almost guarantee getting in close enough for a hit. Rather than buff the damage back up to previous levels, buff the wielder's ability. Make these knives become utility knives: Even a near miss can concuss an enemy, hitting an enemy could buff the knife user for a short period to make it easier to finish and you could perhaps also let them steal health, shield and ammo. Or even increase the reward for a successful kill by letting the player steal the enemy player's weapon(s) (although the infiltrator would be locked out of this particular knife for obvious reasons).

That way players may risk using an inferior knife for benefits afterwards. Running around with an LMG as an LA for example, a HA seeing an opportunity to steal a sniper, a Medic who wants to get his hands on that Heavy Weapon etc. It also means players can get a taste of other faction weapons and see how well they perform.
  5. Mechwolf

As much as I'd love this idea, if an Infiltrator shouldn't get a shotgun, a HA shouldn't get a sniper lol.
    And heavy weapons should probably stay for heavies.
  6. Demigan

The problem is synergies. A HA does not benefit much from gaining a sniper, an Infil does from gaining any weapon. The first strike ability and the fact that you can take a bit more time aiming, especially at range, makes for an incredibly powerful class. This is why SMG infils are more powerful than SMG HA's.

Every single weapon in the game is better on the Infil. SMG's, Carbines, Shotguns, AR's, LMG's, Snipers, Battle Rifles. The Infiltrator's cloak makes it that much more powerful. You could safely give LA's snipers because getting up high is just a good recipy to get shot by an infil who can take his time for each shot compared to an LA who immediately reveals himself and has to fire on the move (!).

Which is why such a weapon stealing knife should never be on the Infil, but would create fun and above all temporary combinations on the other classes.
  7. Mechwolf

I just see the way a HA can already tank a sniper shot to the head, and their ability to snipe almost unmatched just from their shield ability. It's not hard to run back to cover on the top of a tower, and that's also the most common sniper spot, so it would give them a LOT of power unless they had 2 people sniping them at the same time.

Also, if the devs kept the power knife nerf in play, it would pull a lot of attention away from people even wanting to play infil, unless it was just to start with a sniper.
  8. Mechwolf

Somebody on another thread suggested giving knives a "charge time" which would reduce the damage of a power knife until it was ready to swing again, so at least they couldn't go crazy in a crowd of enemies, that was a good suggestion. Whether that's "spin-up" time or "charge time" this could logically work after activation.

It could essentially work like a reverse heat mechanic.

Personally, I think the charge time would work, and give basic knives the ability to sprint and swing without slowing down, this way one promotes speed, one promotes stealth, and the amaterasu isn't the only feasible knife to use, not to mention with the terrible hitboxes, it wouldn't be that much of a buff on any of them.
    • Up x 1
  9. Sumowning

I don't think this is a good idea, the issue there is TTK. The swing in itself is already incredibly slow, and still suffers from the same old issue of hit detection. The whole idea of the powerknife is to go in running and massacre or die trying, usually it's the latter with the occasional killing spree when people are really unaware and tunnel-visioned.

If anything, the most feasible thing I've seen. Is to turn up some the sound profile of a powerknife, and have the charge up time upon activation. The issue wasn't 'regular killing spree' as this is just a myth perpetuated by people that never played as a knifer. The main issue that I see most is activating the knife whilst cloaked, decloak, hit and then cloack/deactivate again, which isn't entirely how it goes but if there could be a 3-second time for it to start up, it would prevent that whilst forcing the user to have it on beforehand or take 3 second to charge it up on the go.

It forces the user to have it equipped whilst making their way over to their objective, meaning people can hear it. (I personally already do this to save time on activation anyway).
  10. Exileant

:) I said it before, I will say it again. Noise and distance WAS its balance. The knife makes noise, your CLOAK makes noise. The only way to stop people from running from you as soon as you dropped your Cloak was to have done so AT LEAST 20 meters away at which point, you are basically not an infiltrator anymore. :confused: Trying to de cloak on someone on them would get you killed. Even if the person was absolutely distracted and you got the kill; you STILL were more than likely going to get gunned down by someone else who wanted to know what that noise was, and why did that blip turn into a skull and there was no shot fired....?o_O

Knifing was something I grew out of. Yes it is fun, it is funny, but even in its heyday it was not something that benefited anyone but the player doing it. H.A.'s still took two swings with their shield active, and since that was usually the one doing ALL the damage with the Gause-CANNON or MINIGUN you taking out an infiltrator that usually missed 80% of their shots or an Engineer that was dead set on healing a MAX, was small peas. "Take out the Max if you REALLY want to be a Hero..." I took that to heart and learned very quickly, to do that, a Knife no matter how strong is not going to cut it....;)

:( The entire set of changes they made need to be reversed.
    • Up x 1
  11. Scatterblak

^^ This.

There was no need to nerf it in the first place. Anyone who dies to a knife died because they weren't paying attention - continued nerfs won't make the victims better players.
    • Up x 2
  12. Shadowpikachu

This is SO CLOSE to something worth using and gives me a simpler more practical idea rather then piling on gimmicks.

Power knives should have wider hitboxes with up to 50% falloff, they already swing slower so to run one to at least consistently hit 250 at a way slower rate would be more than fine, not to mention making them as dangerous as before without the 1shot cancer that was apparently too bad for the game.
  13. Exileant

o_O Oh please. :eek: A Heavy would benefit greatly from a Sniper Rifle, Destiny Proved that in the Arms Dealer mission. They actually named the enemy Exiled Sniper. A Cabal with a Sniper rifle..... A Barrier Hobgoblin Champion? NIGHTMARE. Here? That translates into giving a H.A. the ability to do extreme damage or kill in one hit at extreme distance and not have to worry about basic artillery because there would be next to no way to chip down all of that girth all while surviving a head-shot from the same weapon they are using. ;) I do not even main conventional Sniper Rifles and personally I am all for it, because the game has ways of dealing with just about everything if you simply take the time and look, but do not pretend it would not decimate average players until they figured out what they were dealing with. o_O A SINGLE SWING KILLING KNIFE (Even through an Over Shield) would have been A counter for such an entity.

o_O No, not every single weapon is better in an infiltrators hands, that depends exclusively on the skill of the wielder. The noise you make calls attention to you, the delay destroys any real tactical advantage you may have had, especially if the player is using a Mouse with turning ability up to max, and most of the heavy weapons are very loud, shoot slowly, or have a heavy wind-up. So even though they can get behind a group and begin firing, without a silencer to at least slow down their reveal at a distance (Because Dropping the Cloak already tells EVERYONE where you are) an infiltrator does not have the armor, nor the Shields to last past that first kill unless everyone is distracted, at which point you could have done the same thing with a High Mag. S.M.G. The point of a heavier weapon is to drop multiple people with sustained fire.:D A T-7 with a Clock my look good on paper and look terrifying in a picture, but the reality of it would suck. :confused: All that windup, no silencer, and you have something that makes noise to let everyone know where you are PRIOR to the popcorn sound it makes just before it kicks into kill-mode.... o_O A G-Saw is a hard hitting distance weapon that the wielder can sneeze and get kills with, but even it is completely out done by a Scout Rifle, in the hands of an Infiltrator AND they have access to those already....

:confused: Safely give Light Assaults Snipers..... Yeeees.... :D Give a Sniper rifle to the one unit that can Mountain climb and dodge with ease. I recorded a guy I eventually ran over using 2 kinds of concussion grenades in combination with Ambush Jump-jets to effectively become more agile and sustain the speeds of a light vehicle. :eek: He traveled around 50+ meters in around 2.5 seconds in all manner of directions. Those kinds of speeds are next to impossible to target, especially with a vehicle. (I was only able to kill him because I was committed and blew over a cliff to do so. I survived the fall, but with only like 150 A.P. left.....) o_O When this catches on, they will not be able to be killed unless you catch them distracted. It bends my mind the crap you are okay with and yet you still have a problem with Power Knives killing in one hit....

:( Knifing was already hard. On the other Classes it is next to impossible, unless you are going to use a mouse to break the rules of reality in order to win. :rolleyes: At which point ANYBODY can knife with great efficiency. As I witnessed 2 H.A.s Jitterbug an entire room of fire between a door then wipe out half the room while people reloaded and going right back to sprinting while changing direction instantly back and forth the second somebody started shooting. o_O The only people who can do this is someone using a Mouse or a keyboard. Or has access to key-binding; which PlayStation STILL does no. I believe the characters should move at a set turning speed that mimic what a Human is actually capable of doing. :confused: Emmit Smith could not move the way these people are forced to in his heyday; and his ankles were made of Celestial Matter....
  14. Somentine

Idk how you can be so wrong about so many things in a single post.
    • Up x 1
  15. Exileant

:confused: I have no clue how you can be wrong about me being wrong every time you respond.... :eek: Hahaha! But you did prove my point about how trolls seek the spotlight no matter how many new threads you make.

:D No explanation, no narrow down, just blanket because you know I am right... As usual.
  16. Demigan

Oh yeah we should totally not respond in a new thread where trolls try to build an echo chamber of "oh noes how weak is this we'll just use anecdotes and vitriol to justify ourselves".
  17. Somentine

:oops: Because you are wrong about fundamentals of the game's mechanics, ignorant of how ignorant you are, and you play on the PS4 and have no clue what playing with a M/K and over 30 FPS actually does to the game. hahaha:p:cool:
    • Up x 1
  18. Exileant

o_O Kiddo, you are talking to someone who used to exploit console players with a K.B.M. just to show how bad it made games when you chose to make infantry turning speeds adjustable with a maximum a step below instant. ;) Also, if I had the mechanics of the game wrong, I would not be able to kill so many people. :D So yet again, you are off subject, and wrong. :) The color and the smiles pleased me however. :p At least what you typed was not the usual murder on my eyes in both alternate facts and brightness.
  19. Somentine

https://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=exilegal&show=weapons

https://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=kleuhie&show=weapons

https://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=exileant

https://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=anthropomorph

LOL k
    • Up x 2
  20. That_One_Kane_Guy

Unfortunately, being any more 'correct' about you requires descriptive terminology that violates the forum rules, so you'll simply have to make do.

[IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.