Connery server latency thread is locked, so how do I report this?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TomPeregrin, Apr 26, 2022.

1. TomPeregrin

As a New Zealand player with huge latency on Connery, I've spent ages going around in circles trying to report latency bugs like you request, but the thread for reporting Connery latency is locked and the link provided in that thread takes me in a circle, which is hugely frustrating. The last few times I tried to report latency I gave up cos you guys make it so damned hard to report anything.

This link, https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/categories/204228447-PLANETSIDE-2, which is posted in the thread asking for help takes me to the start of the process, which I need to click on 5 links (with 5 new screens opening) only to get back to this thread which has the link just mentioned... it is a never-ending circle.

Perhaps DayBreak should have a better process for players to report bugs. It seems very strange to me that you utilise a player forum for bug reports... Also, how about:
    • You unlock the Connery latency thread so people can reply to that with the information you seek
    • In the twitter update etc., post the link to the thread instead of posting the link to the start of the process that you then need to click through multiple screens of confusing stuff before you get to the thread
    • Maybe take a look at the whole process of technical support and bug reporting, as it is very confusing from a user's perspective. Example: When I click on the link to report a bug, what I am presented with is a list of help topics - there is no place to report a bug on that screen. (If you don't believe me, go and have a look with fresh eyes...)
    TomPeregrin
    • Up x 1
  2. TomPeregrin

3. TomPeregrin

4. Mithril Community Manager

Create a new thread to report bugs in this bug reports sub forum your are in. The information we request for the connery latency issues must be submitted via ticket. Make sure you're logged in and follow the "Contact Support" link that directs you to here: https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
  5. TomPeregrin

@Mithril - Thanks for your reply, which just confirms that your process is broken and that you haven't read my emails above with an open mind.

You say: "...connery latency issues must be supported via ticket."
    I say: I have never found anything that says something like "click here to to raise a support ticket".

Solution: Ensure there is consistent terminology if you want users to understand your internal distinctions.

You say: "Make sure you're logged in and follow the "Contact Support link...
    I say: Now that you've told me this link exists on this page, I can see there is indeed a button. However, the button is in a web part that is labelled "My Activities" and the next thing under that heading says "No recent tickets found." Therefore as a user looking for a heading saying "Contact Support" or "Raise a Support Ticket", then the heading My Activity just gets ignored and I don't see the small black button which recedes into the page.

Solution: It would be easy to create a new web part, with the heading "Contact Support" with a nice big bright button saying "Raise a Support Ticket".

You say: "...follow the "Contact Support" link that directs you to [the support page]"
    I say in my first post, paragraph 2: "This link, https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/categories/204228447-PLANETSIDE-2, which is posted in the thread asking for help takes me to the start of the process..." This is also the same link that is posted in the most recent Twitter update asking for more help jobs to be raised.

Solution: Why don't you post the link to the actual "Contact Support" page, instead of posting the link to the page before the Contact Support page?

You say: ???...actually I'm still confused. I think you are saying that if I have a bug in the game, then I need to go to this user forum to report it, but that the Connery latency isn't a bug (?) and I need to report it in a different page???
    I say: It seems that as programmers you probably have a technical definition of what a bug is and isn't, but I'm a user. Users shouldn't have to try and make that distinction so they can make sure they direct their concerns to the correct place.

Solution: Have a clear and easy process to raise a ticket or report a bug, then your internal process can split it off to the correct people.

You say: (Implied) Once I click the Contact Support button and am redirected to the Contact Support page, then there is a place there to request a ticket
    I say: I've clicked on the button and have been directed to the Contact Support page, and there is another button saying Contact Support, so I click on that and end up as the same place. Circular process that doesn't go anywhere.
    Solution: Remove the redundant button from the second page.

So then I explore the Submit a request web part which has a tiny little down arrow which only someone with 20/20 vision could see (to me it looks like a speck of dust on my monitor),
    Solution: Make the text arrow bigger to it can be seen.

Then when I click on it I am presented with these (and only these) options. "How can Support help you?"
    • I need help related to my in-game character (item, stuck in world, toxic player etc.) Nope, not that one
    • I need help with account access (locating account, access, lost passworc, etc.) Nope, not that one
    • I have an issue with my billing. Nope, not that one
    • I have a computer or connection problem. I don't think it is that one because we all know this isn't related to my computer or my connection, since there are thousands of players all across the world that all suddenly started having this problem at the same time.
    And there is no option to do anything else, so you must think that the problem thousands of people are having is related to my computer...
    So, I finally get to Submit a request. Drop boxes all look good until I get to the compulsory one asking me to attach files. There is a text box under this drop box saying "Instructions on gathering these files can be found in our knowledge base", but there is no link to those instructions from this page, and I wouldn't know how to get there anyway.
    Solution: You could at least include the link in this text box, and maybe make it a pop-up in the same window so the support request stays open in the background.
    So I say in my original post: "Maybe take a look at the whole process of technical support and bug reporting, as it is very confusing from a user's perspective."
    And I'm sorry, I'm not going to waste more time going around in circles trying to find all the hidden information you need so I can raise a support ticket. When you ask yourselves "Why aren't we getting players reporting the latency issues?", perhaps you can re-read this thread and find out - its because you make it too damn hard!
    • Up x 1
  6. Fedrick1

Couldn't agree more with your post.

7. Mithril Community Manager

I understand your frustration and appreciate your opinions with that.
  8. leeharvey

its not just the pain to report, its that its not an isolated issue, every one on the server talks about it as its happening, this isnt and end user problem, whatever server downgrade you guys did is not working.
  9. Cyropaedia

The Connery lag situation is severe. Over the weekend, its population was reduced to 200-400 players. On the other hand, Emerald was queued up for multiple continents.

Connery may be in a death spiral. We need emergency messaging.

1. The lag needs to be fixed and resolved (hard resets, emergency downtime).

2. If Connery cannot be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, you need offer to transfer characters to Emerald (US players) or SolTech (Oceania players). I've suggested limiting transfers to 1 character per account at this time (and at least Battle Rank 25).

3. In either case, we need messaging (patcher and website) to the stop the bleeding of the population. You may lose customers.
  10. OgreMarkX

Think I am about done. This account was active and paid since June 1999. Pretty darn good run after all said and done.

Will close my other 3 paid accounts as well as I stopped playing Everquest months ago--and the state of that game, while having played it since 1999 (and it was great) has fallen to a state of design that isn't attractive to me anymore (but at least if I did log in, I could play as opposed to Planetside 2).

I can put those 4 paid accounts towards gasoline in this time of inflation.

Had a great time playing Planetside for sure. But I am not starting that grind again on another server just to watch it collapse as well. And there is no sense in continuing to pay with zero info from RPG.

I get troubleshooting and fixing can be hard, I work in a similar field. I do get it. But I am not ok paying for this anymore.
    • Up x 1