Planetside Crashing Windows. Fresh Installation.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Fisheyed, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fisheyed

Hi

Currently
    Planetside crashes windows after a few minutes of playing.
    (sometimes crashes in character selection menu or when I am changing the settings)

If I install windows fresh, I can play nonstop until I reboot. Once I reboot, planetside constantly crashes windows.

==========================================================================

On one occasion.
    I installed windows and played planetside for about 20 minutes fine. I could open and close planetside.

I tried to make a windows system image to backup the current state. After doing this for about 10 minutes, planetside resumed crashing windows. - This was without rebooting.

My Installation Process has been Latest windows 64bit, visual C redistributables, latest nvidia drivers, planetside setup, directx.
    I then do all the windows updates, (It does windows defender, intel bluetooth, intel cpu. And then restarts the computer.
    I then download and install planetside and can play.

Initially I tried only changing one thing at a time and restarting to see if I could discover what was causing the crash. Eventually, I tried changing nothing, and it still crashed.

I've tried enabling / disabling windows defender, but it didn't make a difference.

What do I mean by Crash:

The way the crash worked was - I could not change weapons in game or shoot.
    The voice chat still worked and other applications worked.
    I could still move around in the game until I tried to do something like open the ingame browser. I can talk, people can shoot me, I can't shoot or change weapon. The ingame browser loads like a blank template, for instance the loadout would have no pictures or icons.
    And upon clicking on something now or exiting this, the game would freeze.
    I can alt tab to other applications but they also freeze when I try to interact with or close them. Windows and task manager and everything would freeze. Once one application froze, I couldn't do anything.

I have been able to interact with file explorer on a different partition, and was able to copy a copy of my planetside files from a 3rd partition to a usb stick.
    I can scroll through task manager, hover over windows and see popout boxes / tooltips.

I cannot open new windows. If task manager is already open, I can alt tab to it and see the disk usage at 100%. But it does not show any processes using enough disk usage to reach 100%.

Eventually, everything hangs and I cannot do anything. I receive an unexpected store exception bsod. It doesn't complete a memdump, even if I tell windows to dump to a different drive or usb stick.

If I try to interact with windows during the hanging, before the bsod, I receive a different bsod, critical process died.
    This also fails to dump the memory.

So the backstory:

Since about the 10th of July, planetside started crashing when obs was recording.
    I would record using nvenc and stream using the cpu.
    When I recorded with the cpu it did not crash.
    I tried the lowst qualities possible and it still crashed.

In October, the crashing got significantly worse.
    I tried playing with low resolutions, no sound.
    I could play and stream / record other games in 4k.

I stress tested the cpu, memory controller, gpu, hdd /ssd, did chkdsk, mdsched for several days, monitored temperatures with a tuning, intel extreme tuning, gpuz, and unplugged everything except the keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable, fan controller.

I haven't overclocked the cpu or gpu.

Today, I have been formatting my drive and installing windows to diagnose what was causing the problem.
    I already have the latest drivers downloaded, so I started off instalilng everything, and then just the minimal.
    Net framework 4.5 is included in windows 10, so I installed visual c++ redist 2010, 2013, 2015-2019 for both 32bit and 64 bit,
    Then I would install nvidia 441.66. (i've tried the version that came with the motherboard cd, the version that windows update downloads if I don't install the drivers before windows update, and several versions inbetween that I found in my downloads folder.
    The planetside installer has the direct x redist so I installed those, and then I would do windows update, which would download drivers for the cpu and windows defender, and restart.
    Then I would download planetside 2, wait an hour and play.

I have tried also using the drivers supplied from intel as well. And I have tried installing the other drivers for the storage drives, motherboard, corsair link, realtek hd audio etc.
    But whatever drivers I tried, windows crashed when I played planetside past the first windows installation.

Over the windows versions, the crashing has gotten more severe. Or maybe over time. The current version, 1909 crashes within 2 minutes of opening planetside.
  2. Fisheyed

3. FriendlyHuman

I don't know the cause. Just random guesses:
    1) Did you try to experiment with compatibility mode (Windows 7, 8)?
    2) BattlEye can have problems with pirated Windows 10 (BattlEye FAQ).

As a temporary solution, you can try to install Virtualbox and play with Windows 7?
  4. FriendlyHuman

5. Fisheyed

I just tried both compatibility modes for planetside and battle eye. All crashed.

I upgraded my windows 7 license to windows 10 for free
  6. FriendlyHuman

Do you still have this problem?
  7. MewTwo6446

Hi, I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?
  8. Mithril Community Manager

Greetings, please create a new thread and don't resurrect old ones. When you make a report like this crash report be sure to leave more information such as:
    1) What were you doing in game before the crash i.e. spawning in a sunderer, fighting in a heavily populated hex, explosions everywhere etc.
    2) How frequent does the crash happen
    3) Can you take any screenshots at the moment of game freezes / crashes?
    4) Any error codes displayed?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.