[Suggestion] Automatic Server merging!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Avrien, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Avrien

What about taking servers with low enough ping similarities to auto merge server populations when populations are low to combine populations and make more fights? This could then seperate when the server if more full into seperate servers.

Just keep the current servers and make them fight together whole pops are low or to make pops higher for fun weekends or something.
    • Up x 2
  2. Liewec123

Honestly they should just merge the servers.
    1 EU server, 1 US server.
    And keep Soltech as the hacker bin.
    • Up x 2
  3. UltimateViper

Yeah, I am 101% for this.
    I mainly play on the PS4 EU server, but as of late they've been close to dead with Vanu Sovereignty almost always being below 20% on "busy days" where the largest fights (that are rarely seen) consist of at most 96 players.

Since cross-play (or even cross-save) isn't a thing, the least that I think should be done is to merge the US & EU console servers.

Even if Oshur gets a good launch, I doubt that the server would come back to life.

I know that the world of game development is anything but easy, which is why I feel that to keep the console side in Europe alive, only server meshing might bring the player numbers up.

Kindest regards,

UltimateViper / geronimode
  4. OpolE

Called for merges after Oshur. Get it done SOE!
  5. AntDX316

Only merge if all outfit stats and player stats are kept and everything is moved to either US East or US Central.
  6. Aokiwasuke

#StopAsianHate ;)
    DB should have stepped up their efforts to crack down on cheaters, not let Asian players have their gaming experience ruined.
  7. Liewec123

hey i never mentioned asians! but you already knew who the hackers are, so is it hate, or just acceptance of reality? :p
    you've got to admit the rest of the game has seen far less scriptkids since they all got their own server.
    (apart from that annoying flying max BS last year.) :)
  8. Aokiwasuke

Well, Asian servers have the most Asian players. Of course, there are plenty of cheaters out there. But if you put all the cheaters on an Asian server...what? Are Asian players the original sin? They have to take this?
    :D
    A cheater affects the interests of all players.
  9. TripSin

The state of Connery is so pathetic the vast majority of the time. You're not getting a real Planetside experience. Most of the time, it's just the same stale fight at the middle base or just a few 1-12's.

Imagine how many potential new players are being lost because they log on to Connery outside of the few hours a day that it gets any decent pop and they uninstall because they think what they see is all that Planetside has to offer.
  10. VV4LL3

Doesn't matter how much you want them -- laws of physics will not change. Electrons move at near the speed of light. Merged servers is a No-Go for the player experience. Watch your ping rate increase 300-600ms easy when you connect to another server across the continent. Consolidation without a change in architecture would certainly decrease nearly EVERYONE's latency with the exception of those colocated with the server farm.

Latency is such an issue for performance that even Amazon has data regions known as availability zones. If a company like Amazon struggles with keeping latency down on things like Netflix, your personal cloud, or the latest game, the chances of DBG having a single server without issues is absolutely unlikely.

Nice idea, but unless a large investment is done on DBG's part, probably will not happen anytime soon. Maybe... just not soon.
  11. TripSin

I live all the way on the west coast and I don't notice any significant difference when playing on Emerald. My ping goes from 50 to 80.

But whatever, let Connery continue to be trash. Probably best for me to just uninstall this like so many others and spend my time doing something actually worthwhile instead.
  12. VV4LL3

That's fantastic! Great to hear.
  13. AuricStarSand

Maybe tho I'm west & need the servers west bound. More population the better. If anything PS2 needs top tier re reviewers for YT or other marketing strategies. Theirs no competition. Just Lost Ark or BF2042 nothing.
  14. Khelthorn

Server merges need to happen. Combine Connery and Emerald in to one central server in the US, problem solved. I main character is a TR on Connery but there is never a fight there worth going to so it is pointless to play him. Either combine servers or let us have character transfers.