Player Base Template

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Agouha, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Agouha

Hi guys,

I'm new to the construction system and I try to create a base template with what I can see from tutorials. I created a simple one and I wanted to share it with you, maybe experienced builders will give me some advice.

Image url : https://i.ibb.co/bQGhF13/Planetside-2-base.png

[IMG]
  2. SilentSueRia

Unfortunately there are far too many gaps that allow for both single player tank users and stealth sundy infiltrators with catlike maxed and cortium bomb too cheese the base with ease.
    The infantry walk threw holes of the blast walls will still get used by a tank user to hit inside the base, especially if they can find a hill to hide behind and/or keep far enough distance that the AI of the anti-vec turret won't fire even when fired upon.
  3. Agouha

Effectively I'm agree that the constructions alone can't deal with a long rang tank, or some special invisible setups.
    But I think constructions are more a tool for the region to have an intermediate base to spawn / take a vehicle and join the fight faster.

The Anti-aerian turret is also a deadly weapon !!

I'm not saying that an only setup can deal with all the situations, every map and zone should be have a special template but I think having a base can help me to begin.
    So I try to build the more robust base as possible with tools that we have. if possible... ;)
  4. Agouha

I can't edit my first post to update the image ?
  5. SilentSueRia

Sadly the edit option only exist within 15... maybe 30 minutes of originally posting the message.

A lot of the PMB I made I often desired that same thing, even when I built up road way check points to act as a flow control during battles, to interfere with enemy troop movements.

In the end however, in almost every case, if I was doing it all on my own, the base would ultimately get destroyed by someone who could just cheese it.

There is just no way around the fact that you will need a buddy of some kind to help you with any PMB.
  6. SilentSueRia

The main reason why you need a buddy too help with construction, SOE (Sony Online Entertainment), intend.
    SOE intended that PMB would be a team thing, so they intentional limited how many base parts a single character had access too.
    It is why you only have access too 3 Rampart walls, why you only have 1 sundy Garage, 1 Silo, can only place 1 turret of each targeting type, ect.
    SOE intended that bases should be built by a team.
    Why buiding a viable base is so hard, especially solo, even if you use every character you have access too from your account. You might be able to build a decent base using all 3 free slots with them all set too the same faction, but even then, if you are the only one building it and managing it, you are still at extreme risk of being easily cheesed and farmed for points. You can even be a multiboxer with multiple accounts and dozens of characters, able to build a massive base with 30+ turrets, and if you are still the only actual person behind that massive construction, it will only get cheesed and farmed for points. Even if Daybreak games does actually do a genuine effort to make contruction work and use even all the idea's many of us have suggested, if a single person is the only one behind a massively large base, was the only one managing it and keeping the silo filled and parts repaired, it would still get cheesed and farmed for points.

There is simply no real way to make and support a PMB without other actual players, no mater how many alts and accounts you have. Otherwise you are just giving enemy players a gold mine of XP to blast.

Eventual SOE decided the MMO business is too much of an expense and risk, so they sold it to Daybreak games.
    Daybreak games didn't appear too know what too do with construction, when they got this game.
    Daybreak game doesn't appear to want construction in the game now, with all the nerfs they have done too it and advantages too attackers they have given everything else.
  7. Agouha

Thank you for your answer SilentSueRia, you seems to be an advanced player in the game and particulary in construction, I appreciate you took the time to answer to this tread.

You said a lot of informations, and as I'm not as experienced as you in the game, I need to make a recap to have things clear :
    - Solo Builder can't manage a single player with a tank (long range)
    - Solo Builder can't manage a solo player with stealth sunderer + infiltrator + cortium bomb
    - If there's a hill close to the base, a tank player can shoot inside the base

We can conclude that a solo builder can:
    - Spawn allies
    - Spawn allies light vehicules

A solo builder can't :
    - Defend his base (as we said in the first points)

Now if we consider playing with a team, these things become possible
    - manage a single player tank long range ( how ? ). Should one player spawn a tank to fight him ?
    - manage a stealth infiltrator ( how ? ) - should one player go try to find the sunderer ?
    - manage a tank player on a hill ( how ? ) Should one player spawn a tank to fight him ?

I take into account what you said about multi account playing, but that really isn't the way I want to play the game. (too much computer consumption, too much awareness needed, ect...) and btw I play the "mercenary" faction (the one who help the low pop).

I still want to grind the construction system to the maximum potential I can find.
    The problem of not being able to modify my first post and upgrade my strategy is a problem. I'll continue to think about that in a steam Planetside 2 guide. I'll put the link when I'll have done that.

Conclusion

With all you have said to this tread. I can see multiple things I can do in the future in the guides I'll write.
    - What is the best thing I can do to one of these situations : (1v1 long range tank, 1v1 stealth sundered-infiltrator-cortium bombs, 1v1 hill tank)
    - same things as a team (2+ players)

- A basic template of a base
    - A template for a base in a valley
    - A 2 player base template
  8. Agouha

9. RabidIBM

Hey buddy, this is a concept I tried to fiddle around with for a while, the stock base template. The reality is that you have to read the ground wherever you are building and build to suit the location. There is no one build for all situations. Some people have some really slick templates they use, but they require a large section of flat ground. The reality is that such bases can be easily circumvented.

That said, I do have some pieces I regularly recreate. One I particularly like is the pillbox spawn room. It's better than the garage because if you build it right the troops spawn looking over critical ground. If you place the pillbox at mid-ish height you can place 3 modules in a line starting from front center, then a spawn tube in a back corner and a 4th module in the other back corner. Finally, put a pain spire in the door. If you lay this out right the windows overlook important ground and the door backs into the rest of your base.
  10. Agouha

Hi RabidIBM,

I'm happy to see there's pationated builders here in the community and enthusiastic to share your experience.

So what you mean by reading the ground is maybe looking to a position to make a base, look around where the treat is going to come from; then ... "freestyle" ? Or is there some theorical foundations you can share with your experience ?

If that's the case you maybe have some ideas about the question we didn't already talk about but very important ... What is a good base position ?

I'm really interested about your Pillbox spawn. The Pillbox is the last building I bought so I'll be able to try it. Do you place the pillbox at the middle of the base or somewhere in the back, a side ? In the walls, outside ?
  11. SilentSueRia

When a tank attacks the base, you will have too chase down and destroy the tank, with something that has weapons that can penetrate armors, so that will mean rockets, explosives, AP rounds. Spawning a light tank can allow you too send the 2nd person out to chase down the tank or spawning a sudny with what ever weapons that pierce armor, but it means that you will need 2 players at least. There is also the personal light fighter that can be equipped with missiles.

In the case of the infiltrator cheesing the base with cortium bombs from a stealth sundy, you will have to find the stealth sundy somehow. If you don't the person cheesing the base will keep setting bombs. After you kill that sundy, you will want to check surrounding permanent bases for hacked consoles, since the enemy will likely have gotten their sundy from a friendly base that they took over the vec console of. They may have even taken the time to setup a small base with only a silo, spawn tube and a vehicle terminal in some out of the way place behind a hill or under a tree.

In the case of the second player going off to attack the tank user, any tank user will likely be setup with minimal to no anti-air abilities, since they will want to do most the damage they can to the base, so the main cannon will be some sort of AP or explosive round. The best option will be for the second player to use an air vehicle too attack the tank, since the tank won't likely be able too defend against an assault from the skies. It will also be easier for the second player to scan the area for enemy spawn bases with vec terminals, as well as too quickly check allied perm bases for hacked consoles. Checking for cloaked sundies would require either combing close too the ground trying to notice the visual distortion from the cloak field or shooting up every piece of land with some sort of AoE attack, to trigger the cloak into disabling and reveal the sundy.

A tank attacker won't likely use a skygaurd on a light tank, since the damage against a base will be too low and slow. The best all around work around requires the attacked to use a MBT with a second person on an anti-air turret for the second weapon, which doesn't happen often too begin with, since they will ant to down a base as quickly as possible and even when they do have the anti-air second gun, a good pilot will still be able too evade often enough that the tan will have to break off from attacking the PMB most the time.
  12. Agouha

@RabidIBM
    I'm completely fan of the pillbox spawn room ! At the begin it was a bit tricky I wasn't able to put a single module but I re-read your post and see the "mid-ish height" to place the structure then I was able to put modules.
    Actually, I couldn't find the way to put 4 modules and the spawn room. I can put only 2 modules, if you have a video or a screenshoot to show me how to make it I'll love it !

@SilentSueRia
    Thank you for sharing your experience of how to counter each situation.
    There's a lot to analysis and I'll often get back to your post when I need a solution from a specific situation, you're bringing here a complete and detailled plan to defend our base in team, that's awesome thank you !!
  13. RiP0k

14. Agouha

wow this is so much content you have done RiP0k, good job and thanks for sharing it, I'm sure I'll find great inspirations here.
  15. RabidIBM

I have something for you: Some time back I thought I might make guide videos on how to build my bases. I quickly learned how much I do not like video editing. So...disclaimer!: The following link is an unfinished draft. The brand name water mark is because I used a trial version of the software, which is fair enough. What I got angry about was that any time I used a scene cut, or even swung the camera around the video quality goes to ****e, looking like somebody splashed water on the camera lens. I assure you that my raw footage is very crisp, but it went to hell in the editor. Anyways:

This does not include the pillbox spawn room unfortunately. It does however include a pillbox 2 modules packed as tight as possible, so you can extrapolate from there.
  16. Agouha

Hey RabidIBM,

Appart from the video quality and the movie maker ad's hell, I think the video is really high quality, you have a pleasant voice, the base you're sharing looks very powerfull, and the video is user friendly.

If that's ok for you I think I'll take your base layer for my base template, it should be better as what I did with my low build experience.

Can I add a link to your video in the guide ?
  17. Agouha

Here is the result, do you feel like it represent well what you wanted to do ?

[IMG]
  18. Agouha

And as I try to do a "global" base template, do you see here possible improvement ?
  19. RabidIBM

If you want to share my video around, by all means go for it. That said, I'm a bit concerned that you are taking the wrong lesson from it. That is by no means a useful universal template, it as an example of tayloring the build to the specific terrain it is built on. If you try to transplant that build anywhere else it will have a gaping hole where the lowland structure is meant to be, and the multi floor infantry tower only makes sense there specifically because it lines up with that structure. Take the initial structure away and the tower makes no sense.

If you have a character on either of Connery or Emerald I'd be happy to walk you through some builds in game, I have all factions on both servers, and since I unlocked the buildings with real money I have access to them with all characters.
  20. RabidIBM

Also worth noting: The reinforcement module no longer exists, it got removed from the game after I made that video. It has been replaced by the reconnaissance module, which is a really jenky motion spotter. That said, the location of the reinforcement module would probably also work for the reconnaissance module. I'm also not sure that the AI module 2 or pain spire 3 you added would even be legal placements within the spacing restrictions.