[Suggestion] The explosion awe effect.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Mar 3, 2022.

1. AntDX316

Seems like the explosions have been a lot better but I'm not sure. It makes it more interesting to see huge explosions when vehicles blow up and such rather than being small and "meaningless". No need to bring back "GPU Particle" physics that has been disabled for so many years and probably forever if we can get those same effects or better without having that back.

Considering a new modernized UI system is coming, having another option to have More special effects would make.. it more impossible to break some peoples heavy Planetside 2 addiction.

Also, see about adding more than 128 sound channels.. wonder would happen if we can get 512 channels or better but I have no idea how much it could "break" the game. Maybe the sound bug that occurs after a few hours of play and gets Worse over time until you restart the game is related to something with the voice code that lowers the in-game audio when people talk.

Also, if more could be done about the outfit member list from it not lagging when someone logs in and out or join the outfit or leaves. Before it gets too worse, if more improvements could be made in that area it would be nice.

If modernization of the UI is truly happening, make it modular enough to add and remove (for years to come) without the games code "breaking" such as how good the code is to add new vehicles such as the Bastion and Chimera, Construction, etc. and it feeling without lag how it was in 2012.

Usually when more and more gets tacked onto a game such as ArmA, more scripts and such lag the game Heavily but for some reason there is no lag in Planetside 2 which is incredibly underratedly exceptional.
  2. Liewec123

The explosions in this game used to be absolutely incredible,
    check out this video from a decade ago, start at 9:40!

You couldn't be more right about how immersive and epic the explosions made the game!
    THAT is the game I love, the 2000 player beautiful masterpiece that SOE created.
    Before the dark times, before Operation Make Faster Game.

I can't believe that a decade after that video above,
    on ultra if you kill a tank..
    it just vanishes.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

The actual explosions of projectiles? Bah, they are just big, not that pretty anyway and back then the AOE of the explosions WAS that freaking big. "Here let me eliminate half a postal code with a single shot, and thats the AP version of my gun!" Also do I see that Halberd had a lock-on capability that barely needed you to aim at your target?

The detonations of the vehicles? I dont need a large explosion, I aboslutely love the simple wreckage, fire and smoke that follows for a while. That is what they need to bring back, not the explosions. I have a personal hate for the Micheal Bay explosions. Go watch something like District 9 for what a good explosion looks like: short and visceral. It signals its destruction by what it leaves behind, not the screentime and size of the fireball afterwards.
  4. Pikachu

The video is from october. :eek: It must be beta footage. The enforcer i shooting homing missiles, which was before release. Nice to see that old red sunrise on northern Indar.
    • Up x 1
  5. AntDX316

It's not only that but the particle effects of the elevators.

If the new developers could contact SOE(Sony Online Entertainment) and Nvidia about how it "used to be" to bring it back it would be cool especially for those running high-end setups.

Also, after 9/11 happened Microsoft removed the damage models when the planes crash from FS2000? and the upcoming FSX which was 2002. The simulation just stops if crash damage is turned on.

Sometimes the idea isn't just to keep tacking on "new" things but bring back the super good old stuff that got stripped for some reason. : (
    • Up x 1
  6. TR5L4Y3R

didn´t the physix stuff back then cause some server performance issues? i only remember that they took it out for a reason, not exactly what ...
  7. Eberron101

Its likely they wont since most "pro" gamers run everything on ultra-low so its easier to see other players and they get the best possible framerates.

I'd love to see a reversion to the old graphics but if EQ2 is anything to go by, once its taken out, its taken out permanently.