[Suggestion] Bullet "Cracks"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FreedomMan12, Feb 15, 2022.

1. FreedomMan12

If there are any real military veterans, this suggestion might interest you.

Do you think that there is something missing to the realism and immersion of the game? Do large battles feel mundane and repetitive? Do gunfights not feel scary or reflex inducing? Let me tell you what you might be missing.

I'll talk about it from two points of view, infantry and vehicles. First, in large battles where infantry rushes into buildings are common, the feelings of adrenaline and an urge to rush things are missing. The feeling of needing to rush in the presence of danger is important to a large, combined arms game like Planetside 2. And the need to rush leads to a surge of adrenaline. Thus, leaders and their followers will be pushed to their mental limits during chaotic firefights. To get a sense of danger and adrenaline, soldiers and leaders will need to feel danger. That sense of immediate danger is attained through bullet cracks. What I mean by cracks is the sound that bullets make as they zoom past your range of hearing.
    I mentioned leaders because comms will be affected as well. The ducking feature won't work as effectively anymore. Even with ducking, the person speaking will still hear bullet cracks, explosions, vehicles driving/flying by, and soldiers talking/yelling at each other. Ducking just lowers the volume slightly like in active hearing protection headsets. The previous state of leaders being able to give orders calmly and easily, might not be possible anymore. They will have to deal with the chaos they are hearing, trying to organize the vortex of thoughts in their head, while issuing coherent orders.
    The effect of this will affect the soldiers that these leaders are leading. They may mishear orders, and some might not even hear the orders. Every empire will have the same problems of communication difficulties through their equipment. Although certain factions may have different solutions to solve this common problem.
    In buildings, soldiers who are near windows and doorways should still be able to hear the crack of the bullet. This will depend on the distance of the bullet from the character's head. And if you are behind further indoors or underground, the sound will be increasingly diminished and muffled. This should also be applied to explosives.
    Second, the occupants in vehicles will hear the cracks and pings against metal when bullet whiz by and collide with armor. Even if the vehicles aren't damaged by the bullets, the sense of fear and dread will affect them mentally. Such is the same in real firefights (not actual real-life experience, but similar).

This sound effect will be heard by every soldier in/out of vehicles/buildings within a certain proximity with the bullet. Which will further the effectiveness of fire suppression and keeping soldiers in cover. Just like in Squad or Escape from Tarkov. If this is already in-game, make it louder.
    *Been a player since 2012.
  2. karlooo

The devs would need to redesign the game for the bullet impact sound effects, as its not possible for the amount of players that are filtered into a single area. For example by removing the lattice links.

I don't play War Thunder anymore but when they improved the sound effects, I noticed that a 10v10 there, felt much more intense and larger than a 100v100 in Planetside 2 lol.
    • Up x 1