Oshur: beatiful but gameplay is awful

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InexoraVC, Jan 27, 2022.

1. JustGotSuspended

I don't mind when the construction bases are used to augment the already designed bases, though I could do away with the pain spires and AI turrets that make it super unfun to attack them.

The big issue is you can't rely on construction bases, because people need to build them, which takes time and resources, they need resources to be maintained, they are limited in what can be placed and where and on top of that, they are destroyable.

This means in 99% of cases you have no spawn, no way to defend the hex if there's no base or if it got destroyed. On most continents it's just an annoyance, because they're tiny bases sandwiched in between real ones. But on Oshur half the lattice is like this and it's just not fun. The construction should be used to fortify/amplify pre-existing bases. But each hex should have a hardspawn.
  2. Irathi

So now we have under water guns. Tanks and airplanes that can fly and drive under water.

but no under water capture points or entry points to bases?

why?
    • Up x 2
  3. JustGotSuspended

This is what surprised me the most. I seriously thought we'd have underwater bases, flooded rooms, bridges, etc.

Well nope. The guns are pretty much useless unless you're trying to push that underwater tunnel to access the campaign which has one of the best designed camping spots I've ever seen.

Idk it just seems like a weird choice to waste all that work; going through the trouble of creating all that when it's not used in live gameplay. Especially since the underwater is actually pretty fun, everyones on equal ground sorta, and there's no HESH or a2g or whatever. If they reduced the movement penalty a bit honestly it'd be really great to fight underwater.
  4. aversi0n

Construction is only supportive, because the majority of base builders are solo players. Minutes ago, the VS zerg wiped my fully equipped base on Oshur alert. They had to, because there was no other option, no way around. And not a single freaking smurf came there to help. A desperate orbital strike, three kills for me, but an hour of devoted constructing flushed down the toilet. Once more the sea of Oshur got filled with salty tears of a veteran.
  5. JustGotSuspended

And why would they? In addition to the fact most player made bases don't generate fun fights, the spawn system doesn't even favor people spawning it them!
  6. Eberron101

Respect for base builders. You do all this and it inevitably gets torn down in 3 minutes by a zerg armour column.
    • Up x 2
  7. aversi0n

On the other hand I'm a Lightning guy. And it's good, that construction stuff can be destroyed rather quickly. I really hope the developers will drain Oshur and give it a more traditional approach. With cool signature facilities, deep water only in dedicated areas, three or four sunken cap bases etc.
    • Up x 2
  8. JustGotSuspended

yeah i feel the construction system was never ready to support fights on its own. There's already bases for construction on most continents and I've never seen them generate a fun fight.

Rarely ever see bases there either. So I don't see why they'd make this new continent full of bases proven to not work.
    • Up x 1
  9. FLHuk

I hate to say it but I'm beginning to like Oshur.

It's not perfect but the effort and lack of bugs is giving me tingles of hope.
    • Up x 2
  10. JustGotSuspended

Just capped a base with my solofit after an ok fight. I move one with my allies, we push a pmb. Dude drops 2 nukes after flipping the point, caps that base.

I look at the map, notice that the base I capped is an interlink, generates 0 resources for my outfit. The base the dude capped essentially by doing nothing rewards 3 blue. So I'm guessing this is another incentive to discourage players from dominating infantry fights and focusing on demolishing construction instead?

Keeps getting better and better
    • Up x 1
  11. Eberron101

Today we got a flip flop battle. Zerg, counter zerg over the same two bases over and over again. One base had the pain field bug so if you spawned in it you died unless you ran out quick. Made it nigh on impossible to defend whoever was currently controlling it.

I think at one point the vehicles outnumbered infantry by two to one. I just popped a deliverer prototype and parked it in the centre of the armour column and watched the resupply xp just roll in. To be brutally honest, the Player bases just got in the way a lot of the time. They were all demolished in a matter of minutes but the armour column just went around it or flattened it if it were round a point.

Plenty of time with two lines of tanks sniping each other between islands with not a lot else happening as well.

If they add underwater bases it will massively improve things as that will be entirely different gameplay. That said, they need to do something about air just flying underwater. Just a bit silly. Also the fact that tanks sink but sundies and Ants float means tanks are pretty much invulnerable underwater but sundies and ants are just cannon fodder.

IMHO it needs a hell of a lot of work to improve.
    • Up x 1
  12. Kapyong

Some fair criticism - your hour's work construction base does die disappointingly fast if not supported.
    But then, I've also seen fights with roughly balanced numbers where a constructed base DID hold and push 'em back.
    Typical of my Oshur experience really - some times I fail hard, sometimes I succeed, some things are WTF ?
    Some battles are small, some are zergs, sometimes we ghost attack.

What matters is that sometimes I have huge fun. I see new things. I go "ah, now I know".
    Tactics will adjust, patches will be made.
    (And I did software development - it's hard at the best of times, must be even harder now.)
    Mostly happy.
    • Up x 2
  13. aversi0n

Oshur is a very ambitious expedition. I recommend the movie "Aguirre, Wrath of God"...

[IMG]

14. OpolE

LOL
    I'm the biggest critic of PS2 and I played 60 hours since launch. GET REKT
    • Up x 1
  15. SikVvVidiT

I don't think it would be as bad to deal with if they LOCKED THE FREAKING CONT just like the others... I have no idea why it is on 24/7 rotation... And why are there 3 conts open, when there is barely enough people to fill ONE!!!...
    • Up x 1
  16. Eberron101

Barely enough to fill just one battle on one continent at the moment. When I resubbed I was pleasantly suprised there were still decent battles around but now....the game just seems to have emptied :(
  17. TR5L4Y3R

just dabbled a bit with oshur ... first thought:
    trident feels a bit too crowded, i mean i don´t mind that´s a bit smaller than biolabs ... but it is a bit too small ...
  18. TR5L4Y3R

the problem is current PMBs lack their own sub-objective like back then with hives .. i say silos should be made overloadable like hives but in exchange be protectable by the shieldmodule, the overloaded silo should not outright nuke the PMB but severely weaken it ...
    otherwise it´s the same issue that has been with planetside 2 since beta, infantry v vehicle v air ballance is still out of wack but i and others have made countless suggestions over the years to adress that ..
    PMB walls and structures with repairmodules due to invulnerabilty were a tough nutt to crack back then AND actualy allowed to build close proximity outposts next to a latticebase in order to defend or attack it ... i remember long ago squads on both sides having an outdoor vehiclefight while builders dropped down walls so infantry was able to support with missiles and AV turrets ... scrap was intense ...
    so yea PMBs need some of their surviveability back .... the other issue with PMBs is with infantry dying to autoturrets ...
    like again fighting as infantry against a full on PMB is not fun so either autoturrets need some nerf or as said the PMB needs some sort of sub-objective (or both) for infantry to be worthwhile being able to harrass/weaken a PMB ....
    attacking/defending PMBs need to be fun .. not frustrating and be left in the dust ..
    • Up x 1
  19. Eberron101

One maybe unforseen issue with PMB heavy map is the sheer amount of flail spam. Today you could barely move without being vaporised from out of nowhere at any time and any place on the map. Dying over and over to flails and OS is just soul destroying.
    • Up x 1
  20. TR5L4Y3R

generally antiarmor weapons like for example MBT/Lightning AP Rounds should not be able instakill infantry even on direct shots (to be brutaly honest direct tankcannonshots should not instakill infantry period, they are already heavy armored to not care bout small arms) ... the flail is for destroying sunderers, stationary vehicles and PMB structures ... it should not be so strong to kill infantry in one salvo when other than a light assault infantry barely is able to get out of the Flail firing zone ... being in a PMB infantry is pretty much like being contained in a cell, it´s already a tough situation to be sieged by hesh and heat vehicles and AI Aircraft, the flail is overkill on infantry ...
    • Up x 2