Does Planetside 2 Have Ray Tracing Or Not?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Tortricat

I am going to be buying a Gigabyte or ASUS AMD Radeon 6800XT soon, just for something different since my last card was a EVGA Nvidia 680 GTX 4gb Classified Edition. Will be buying a 4090 in February 2023. As you should know, RayTracing usually performs a lot better with Nvidia cards. This advertisement from long ago makes it seem like the game does have Raytracing. Are you able to turn Raytracing on with the Geforce now or in the Nvidia control panel?

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. JustGotSuspended

Lol man I admire your optimism but you should know planning a year ahead to buy technology doesn't make much sense, especially if it's just to play planetside, which no one even knows if it'll still be running by then.

In any case, I'm pretty sure this a meme. They did try to add cool particle effects and stuff a long time ago, not sure if it was ray-tracing or not since it was so long ago, I think 2013-2014 if I'm not mistaken. In any case the project was quickly scraped because performance already wasn't that good, and adding more/better effects would've made the game barely playable. I will admit it was kinda disappointing at the time cuz I remember the effects were super cool.

Since then I'm pretty sure they haven't tried anything, and I'm sure they'll stay away from ray-tracing for sure. Ray tracing already severely impacts game performance for much smaller scaled games than this, even on the latest cards few games run 60+ fps with ray-tracing on. On planetside 2 you'd be watching a planet slide show. I don't think the game would be playable, in any case you'd be severely disadvantaged against people who favor performance on their rigs over graphics.

That said in a year, or whenever you get your ray-tracing card, who knows what this game will be capable of doing
  3. LookmawNoHands

why would this old game have ray tracing?

i have a 6gb GTX 1060 and with my rig set up i dont experience and slide shows no more,well when i do play,havent played in a good minute because the game is just..bleh
  4. Towie

Don't believe everything you see - that came from an advert several years ago for a Chinese manufactured RTX-2070.
    China - well - copyright is just something that bothers other countries.

PS2 only moved to DX11 2 years ago so hoping for RTX (or DX12 DXR) is wishful thinking. They did use Physx at first and that was actually pretty cool for the particle effects but due to 'bugs', they removed support (this was YEARS ago).

Finally - thanks to the mining fraternity and chip shortages, high end graphics card availability has been close to zero for a long time AND when available, you will be scalped by the prices. So good luck in your purchase !
    (Tip - I'd rush onto any Founders edition when available, you'll keep your scalp and have a nice card too).
    • Up x 2
  5. ican'taim

Nope, that was an ad for a chinese gaming laptop iirc.