The Chimera is weak

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Jan 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RabidIBM

For context: I played the first round of NSO, then deleted that character to make room for another. When the NS overhaul came out I didn't care to re-re-start for the NSO. Therefore my experience with the Chimera is all related to shooting it, and sometimes them being in my platoon.

The Chimera is the least threatening tank to be against by a margin. Its damage output doesn't scare me, it's easy to hit, and it's not that tanky. This was supposed to be counter balanced by the rumble seats leading to it having infantry support, but that doesn't happen. So, either we need to figure out how to get troops into the rumble seats so that it can have the support it is meant to, or we need to give up on that and stat boost it so it can challenge other tanks.

Stat boosts are pretty simple to do, so I'll talk about troop support. One of the biggest problems with its "ride to the front" utility is the current spawn system. Why would I ride as a passenger in an open topped seat when I can redeploy forward? I've said for a while that redeploy needs offside rules so troops can't redeploy forward. If troops couldn't redeploy forward, but had to actually advance in game then the utility of offering a ride would be useful. As things stand we already had mostly empty sunderers driving around, so it should come as no surprise that the rumble seats are empty.

Next problem, the seats themselves aren't great. Troops in them are completely exposed, don't get any vehicle weapon, and are unlikely to be driven to a convenient drop off if the tanker is actually playing like a tank. Tanks need to keep their distance because of C4, but troops need to get in close to take ground. If we want Chimera drivers to take the risk of getting close then the Chimera needs C4 resistance. Additionally the troops need some benefit to being in the seat beyond speed. If the seats even had some cover plates for the passengers that would help.

Final point for this post is that we should consider marking the Chimera as a logistics vehicle so troops can respawn on the rumble seats.

Either all that and probably more, or give up on rumblr seats and just stat boost it.
    • Up x 2
  2. AuricStarSand

Harasser rumble seats too. Voting for that. Bonus hp for rumble seat infantry. When they are shot, they die.

Item slot designed for rumble seats. Utility items. New slot, not just the merit items. Yet Merit items are good as well. Just need the rumble seat slot, to be a extra utility theme. Valkyrie pilots, are getting shot down too easily now. I don't need to repair my harasser from the 3rd seat, was too tedious. I don't have enough exp with the NSO tank, tho I do know it moves slow while peddling reverse. So just for that, it may deserve utility item seats. The pro of the nso tank, is it seems to be as good of a hill sniper, as a prowler is (or use to be, when the nso update was released).
    • Up x 1
  3. Pat22

That's the Jockey implant
    • Up x 1
  4. Soul_Shinobi

Counter-point: It's fine. NSO not having tactical slot however is a disadvantage that actually exists.
    • Up x 2
  5. Shadowpikachu

I think it's connection to it's wheels should be shorter so it's shorter in general.
    • Up x 1
  6. Botji

I think it needs some 'faction' ability like the other MBTs but otherwise its fine... though it wouldnt hurt if it was like 10% smaller as its a huge tank and target atm and even have issues shooting vehicles that are too close because the turret is so high up and lacks the turret depression to aim down enough.

On the other hand its a great support vehicle for other tanks, Siren is probably the best G2A weapon in the game, its decent against infantry and really good against ground vehicles too. A Satyr + Siren combo will kill most MBTs from behind without reloading which is a really valuable feature to have though the large size can make it hard to sneak up on people but its obviously a heavy hitter from the front as well, it just needs backup(or to be the backup) instead of driving around alone.
    • Up x 1
  7. RabidIBM

Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid. I'm not sure how that is a gap in the development. I personally would fix that by nuking the entire merit system and making that slot fall in line with everything else: certs to unlock, nantite to use.
    • Up x 1
  8. LodeTria

It's worse than a lightning. That's how bad it is.

Needs significant buffs if it's going to stay a wheeled vehicle, which is one of the major problems with it.
    • Up x 1
  9. VV4LL3

Both are correct.

The Chimera is severely handicapped and weak, as the OP describes. Large hitbox that just takes 3 shots and is dead. Simple cannot 1v1 another MBT, even WITH a 2nd gunner.
  10. VV4LL3

Too true! in most cases, it's better to just pull a lightning due to the low utility, low survivability rate and high nanite cost.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.