all mines are lame and should be taken out of the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by synkrotron, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Scroffel5

They are usually in the same spots. They are usually visible in those spots, but you just aren't looking at them. You don't want to look for them, therefore you die to them. Its simple.

No, it depends on exactly how they would function, hence why I asked questions to understand his idea better. Instead of doing that, you assumed what he might have meant in your head and then judged the idea based on that preconceived, uninformed notion.

And mines should stay just as they are now. If you are running over a mine and notice it too late, so you step on it, you can jump and be left alive. If you step on the side of it, you will also be left alive. Sometimes, the mines don't damage you at all. But of course, there are times when you just die to them. I know that my mines don't kill people as much as they damage them, and thats when you could very well just watch them to make sure they net you a kill.

Not only this, but when you die to a mine once in a play session or at a base, you should be more cautious of them the next time you respawn. You stay conscious of them for a time, but inevitably, you will forget and then die again. But thats fine, since you get your memory back. Learn from your mistakes.
  2. Clone117

To elaborate further. Yes they should affect allies. Mine fields should be dangerous to both sides. Where you place them from then on would become far more important and require tactical knowledge. As a result theyd become a less braindead. Mechanic.
  3. Scroffel5

So they wouldn't appear on the minimap, right?
  4. Somentine

I'm talking about being able to crouch past mines you already know are there. You're incapable of understanding what's being written. It's simple.

No, it doesn't matter, because it's a bad idea in general, even if it didn't affect teammates, and even if it still showed up as a 3d spot or minimap spot. You're just five steps of logic behind, and i'm not hand-holding you like I normally do.

Some random stuff.... k.

Next.
  5. Tormentos

That's not stupid, that is realism. Here are a few snippets of Wikipedia:
    So no matter your understanding, mines are place and forget under the convention, that you mark the outskirt of a minefield accordingly. But these conventions have no meaning on Auraxis. Be thankful we are not laying mines with cluster bombs or cruise missiles. The mines in Planetside 2 are all surface placed. People would scream to the heavens if we would bury them as in RL. The last thing you would hear would be a click, before you go out with a boom.
  6. Somentine

k

Good thing this is a sci-fi game, where fun and balance take priority over any misplaced realism.

Next.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tormentos

You know what? You are right. This is a sci-fi game. So let us consider sci-fi arsenal from a sci-fi show.

Self-replicating mines. Even in the 23rd century they still go place and forget. Get over it. It is the core principal of mines, no matter if in the sea, on land or in space and no matter how you object, mines work this way. It is an area-of-denial tool to force the enemy to go the way you dictate or lose either lots of men or time.
    • Up x 1
  8. Somentine

k

Good thing this is a sci-fi game, where fun and balance take priority. And if you want to sprinkle in some realism, then you should be able to carefully move around mines if you spot them.

Next.
  9. Scroffel5

There has been a misunderstanding somewhere. Are you the person who wants OHK removed?

No one is against being able to walk around mines. In real life, if you spotted a mine that was above ground in a choke point, you could tip toe around it. In this game, there is no tip toeing, so if it takes up a doorway or choke point that your character can't get around, since your character model is too big, I can understand why you want it. You want to be able to walk around it if you see it, and thats fine. But we don't have the same movements in this game as real life, and crouch walking OVER mines is dumb, hence why I say that if you are trying to be stealthy, move to a different place, since the mine is doing exactly what it was designed and used for, i.e holding a choke point to unsuspecting enemies.

Therefore, Engineers repairing shouldn't put you on the radar. I didn't know it even did that. I can see why, for knowing how many Engineers are repairing that MAX, but still.
  10. Somentine

Someone else probably. And personally, not necessarily, but there does tend to be a correlation between OHK mechanics and imbalances.

Yes, there is no careful movement to reflect real life, which is why you make do, for the sake of fun and balance. Crouch walking over mines is no less dumb than being able to run straight over them with the implant Avoidance, though.

From a balance perspective, crouch walking is incredibly risky and vulnerable, so being vulnerable while taking your time to avoid triggering a mine is a very good compromise for not being able to tip-toe past or disarm them.

Yes, same with medic's heal gun. Possibly balance reasons, possibly oversight.
  11. Tormentos

k

Good thing we people here in the forum are able to tolerate your constant complaining all the time. Have you tried jumping over them? :D

Next.
  12. Somentine

k

Have you tried not being trash at the game?

Next.
  13. Tormentos

k

Have tried it, looking better by the day on my end. You?

Next.
  14. Somentine

Got some proof of that?
  15. Tormentos

My honest word shall be enough that my KDR improved by 0.009 points in the meantime. A humble improvement, but a steady one. Some improvements are not recorded with hard numbers. Among those is the improvement of not running into death like a stubborn mule trying against all odds to get the win.
  16. Somentine

Didn't think so.

Next.
  17. Tormentos

Yeah, like I need your stinking validation to have fun with this game. Or anyone else in this forum. To me, you are a nobody.
  18. JibbaJabba

Being primarily a victim I'm still cool with OHK mines. I think some of that might come from just how janky they are. The infantry mines for example often go off after I'm already round a corner without LOS so I take little to no damage. Vehicle mines are a bit broke. They work as intended on tanks/sundies but are hilariously broken against harassers and flashes.

Maybe if they got this mechanic sorted, I would feel the crush of the OHK more. For now though, I know mines are cheesy, but they just don't bug me to die to THAT much.
    • Up x 1
  19. Somentine

Never said you can't enjoy the game, enjoy it to your heart's content, nothing wrong with that; however, it is wrong to go around pontificating about balance while being awful.

But by all means, prove me wrong about you being bad.
  20. Demigan

"Because they dont bug me". But that is no justification for keeping them like this when it does bug many others.

You can actually kill 2 birds with one stone though: if they dont OHK you can more easily increase the AOE. A larger AOE means less chance for the server to respond too late and detonate the mine when you are already farther away and receive much less damage. Also since the mine's job would be to damage you or finish a damaged player off the jankyness of mines is far less problematic for the mine's function.

You even say you basically already have experience with non-OHK mines because they are janky and you survive the blast. Well imagine if mines were actually build for that purpose: you can survive if you are full health, but if there's another mine nearby that one could kill you instead so you have to stop or take more care while any opposition could try to engage you now that you are damaged. With an increase in mines to be laid down by the owners for less nanites each it would make actual minefields work.
    To prevent OHK's by simply stacking mines, they would detonate if you place them too close to each other.

This would also open up mines to do more. You could introduce mines with a lower blastyield but that create other effects, like spraying glitter on all present which makes them easily visible, releasing smoke, creating a Flashbang/concussion effect, a mine that doesnt explode but spots players as they pass, mines that if not shot create a one-way shield for a few seconds which blocks all attempts to cross and fire through it from one side chosen by the deployer, hacking the player and messing with stuff like removing spots of nearby enemies or placing false signatures on the affected players etc.

In the end mines are currently used as a cheap way to get an extra kill in. They are rarely watched at all and are just dumped anywhere where a player might come by and see them too late, and who can blame them? At 75 nanites and only 2 carried most of the time there is little reason to use them differently. That is not a good balance between the mine layer and their victims. We can do better and we should do better.