[Suggestion] Suppressors need to have downsides again

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Dec 6, 2021.

1. UberNoob1337101

Title.

They don't apply enough of a penalty as it is, with only 20% reduction in bullet velocity and no extra damage drop there isn't much of a reason not to equip them on most weapons, where it's ironically more useful on long range guns and snipers because of their bigger spot range when firing, or equipping HVA to have about the same velocity as an unsuppressed weapon.

I'd suggest bringing bullet velocity decrease back to 40%, or making the weapon's bullet velocity exactly ~340 m/s (subsonic), as well as shorter minimum damage range. Sniping and firing long range weapons w/ suppressors should be less effective, but with maybe different bonuses that don't give advantage at long range given the added weight.
  2. Tormentos

What purpose would that serve? Any sniper with or without a silencer should use the mildot scope. It would take him one shot, two tops and he would align his aim at the dot hitting the target, where it hurts. So no matter what percentage, he would aim accordingly. And in close quarters? It only serves that no one can spot you while you kill their team mates. You are too close for bullet drop to even remotely take effect. The team mates simply drop and in the following confusion you can get out of Dodge before they even come looking. Bullet drop only has weight for longer distances, so that would be a sniper thing.

If you want to give silencers a disadvantage that means something, bullet drop is not the right approach.
    • Up x 1
  3. Scroffel5

I think suppressors do need a nerf, but not specifically because of snipers and long range weapons. They were far enough out of the way to not be seen without a suppressor anyways. But hey, as long as my Railjack suppressor doesn't get nerfed into the ground, Im good.
  4. RRRIV

i dont really see the advantage of even equipping suppressors though. Your average PS2 player doesn't even look at the minimap, let alone the targets you spot normally. The noise reduction only works (practically) on a few weapons.

So lets assume some ok buff or rework comes along that incentivized more frequent use besides "i dont really like flash hider" and provided a reason to equip it over a compensator, what would be an appropriate downside to add? The easiest would be the same we have on the compensator. Increased bulk reduces hipfire COF to a slightly lesser extent. Another (better imo) option is to increase ADS time instead since this will affect CQ Bolties and make panic quick scopes harder aswell as overly aggressive players who want to hide their dot from the 8 competent dudes who will hunt him down.

I agree with Torm that simply reducing velocity wont help in the slightest.
  5. csvfr

There is still a 20 meter reduction in minimal damage range? This is from the wiki:
    Only the hybrid supressor has no downside to damage, but that is only available on the Doku series of SMGs.
    • Up x 2
  6. JibbaJabba

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't the suppressor also make damage fall off earlier?

I already find it barely tolerable as it is with the damage fall off and reduced velocity. The velocity sort of wrecks the handling of carbines and LMGs and the damage drop off on some really ruins them. CB-X75 comes to mind, I've been running that a lot recently. The suppressor on that is intolerable as it drops it's damage an entire tier. It goes from a 143 weapon to a 125.

You guys want this to be worse??
    • Up x 2
  7. RRRIV

of course. anything that kills them that isnt associated with another players aim must be broken and should be removed from the game/nerfed to the ground.
    • Up x 1
  8. csvfr

3.5 years ago there was a buff to supressors, making it a more viable attachment. Especially on weapons that only drop one damage tier like the T32 Bull or Gauss SAW, the bullets to kill remain the same against 1000HP targets.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...me-update-8-16-fanning-the-fire-teams.250101/
    • Up x 1
  9. UberNoob1337101

I mostly use TR carbines that don't have a velocity above 500 m/s, and I barely notice the velocity decrease/drop.

LMGs like the CARV also barely feel the drop, then again this is coming from a TR main who uses CQC guns and DMRs primarily, with some sniper usage.

Wasn't aware some if not all NSO weapons drop a damage tier with suppressors, then again I barely play NSO. That seems kinda broken and should be buffed, no other faction weapon does that.

I'd like to know what server you play on, because on Miller too many enemies have brains :D.

In any case, I'm fine with mild CoF penalties. I'm on the opposite camp where I don't mind the reduced velocity and 20m of minimum damage range at all, but less noise and no minimap signature is golden.
  10. JibbaJabba

NSO is not unique here. I merely mentioned that one gun as an example.

All other faction weapons that use a suppressor (not a hybrid) suffer the same 20m earlier damage drop off. For any weapon that has a max damage <= 20m (which is all of them??) it's going to result in a dropped tier or close to it. It never goes below min damage of course.

I think the silencer is quite balanced.

The downsides are rough. Guns just fire like **** with that thing. But the upsides are also powerful. Does nothing vs noobs but is very powerful against good veteran players.
  11. JibbaJabba

I need to go test this. Patch notes that csvfr mentioned hint we shouldn't have a damage penalty. Should be easy to check in VR.
  12. csvfr

What was the result? The min/max damage range terminology can be a bit confusing, and I don't see why it has never been changed to something like high/low damage range. Because most weapons does maximum damage at minimum range and vice versa, it is not immediately clear what it means. Minimum damage range, which can naïvely be interepreted as the closest range where damage starts to fall off, is actually the farthest out range at which damage does not fall off anymore. As such supressors does not affect CQC damage but become more noticable the farther out targets are.