[Suggestion] Possible improvements.. ray tracing and audio

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Nov 6, 2021.

1. AntDX316

Ray tracing would be cool to implement, bring back GPU particle effects, and have audio change when you are inside a building instead of it sounding like you aren't inside anything.
  2. Soul_Shinobi

Ray tracing would be rough on a game that's still hard crack 100fps in battle, and would require a serious overhaul to implement. It's not really the type of game that would benefit visually either, more suited to slower paced single player games.

I would love for them to just bring back the PhysX effects, or reimplement them in a more universal way that isn't tied to Nvidia specific IP. That might be the issue in the first place, I wonder if they had to pay royalties to keep it in? It did look damn good.

Audio reverb might be easy if the game engine allows.
  3. AntDX316

Would be cool if the particle system was client sided and Physx brought back. The movements of the physx way back was great but seems like all the devs for all the games went w/ what the mass markets have. Would be cool if video card manufacturers actually brought back phsyx to the newer cards for better eye candy. Should be a slider to drag the amount of effects for the sake of more immersion. Could be a vulnerability for hacking which is why Adobe Flash is no longer usable but back then, nothing was making things As fast performance wise. Have to have a super beefy setup to do what all those that stuff did with ease.

Considering how shadows for character models in elevated Bio labs don't show, ray tracing may never happen.
  4. Demigan

I'd rather focus on gameplay improvements.

Gameplay > graphics.
    • Up x 2
  5. InexoraVC

No need for a new glitchy features. Devs should focus on gameplay improvements.
  6. AntDX316

It doesn't mean it has to Always be on. It should be an option to have it but I agree, ray tracing is pretty intensive.. it's great for rendering though.
  7. Pikachu

Since domes are opaque these days, there is not sunlight to make shadows.
    • Up x 2
  8. AntDX316

oh yeah
  9. Tython

Ray Tracing sounds cool on paper, but in reality, it would only bog down performance even more than the very unoptimized renderer already does, while not necessarily improving any visuals.

(Compare the recently-added ray traced lights and shadows in World of Warcraft to the non-RT, very well optimized shadows and lighting in FFXIV to see what I mean. FFXIV looks better and runs better, while WoW has a much much higher performance cost to attain the same fidelity with ray-traced shadows and reflections).

If you want fancier graphics, turn everything on High and enable shadows and SSAO. Those are close enough approximations to what Ray Tracing could potentially do for the game. The difference in fidelity would be minimal, but with how inefficient the renderer already is, the additional performance cost of raytracing would absolutely trash even high-end systems.

Plus, it would require DX12, which would be a huge PITA to implement in and of itself, and basicaly kill the game on older Windows systems (a lot of people are still playing games on Windows 7, myself included).

I would much rather the time and effort be put into optimizing the game properly so we don't have to keep all the settings on low just to get decent framerates. This game could run amazingly well even on high settings if they just took the time to properly optimize it.

GPU particles were cool, but again, lots of work to implement (afaik they'd only work on Nvidia cards anyway), and there are outstanding issues with the existing physics implementations (floating mines/c4, inconsistent terrain climbing, janky base turrets, etc) that should take precedence over fluff visuals.

Maybe if the game ever gets truly optimized to the point where running on high settings becomes the norm, then we can talk about adding Ray Tracing and other fancy icing onto the cake.

But proper optimization has to come first.
  10. Tython

With regards to audio:

PS2 already has a fairly sophisticated audio system that alters sounds depending on where you are both in the world and in relation to the sound being played. Gunshots in the hills and valleys of Amerish have distinct echoes to them (sniper rifles especially), artillery and vehicle guns sound different the further away from them you are, everything has doppler effects dependent on how fast you or the audio source are moving in relation to each other.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to add a filter for indoor environments as well.
    • Up x 1
  11. Soul_Shinobi

Were they transparent before??? I feel robbed.
    • Up x 1
  12. Pikachu

Behold, old biolabs.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  13. AntDX316

Back when there were multiple conts with 96+ areas all over the map, to have that happen again today would be awesome. Sure there were reports of some hackers but it's not entirely noticeable because you can respawn fast. Not like in ArmA where it takes forever to get back to where you want to be.
  14. Tython

They made the domes opaque for performance reasons. If they bothered to optimize the engine properly, they could probably bring the transparent domes back.
  15. Soul_Shinobi

:(
    • Up x 1
  16. Grandizer

How bout they fix the audio bug after you play for a while, where it mutes the game sounds, can't hear gunfire and it sounds like your ears are muffled. That would be 1st before adding anything extra IMHO.
    • Up x 1
  17. AntDX316

I just noticed your signature. Is the moon still part of the sun rise?
  18. Soul_Shinobi

19. Redfeather1975

Hello I am new. :)

I play a game called Elder Scrolls Online. I like the Alliance War in that game. It's Realm vs Realm like this.

I really enjoy this game a lot in the time I have played so far. I am trying to find ways of making it look slicker.

Found out that we are not allowed to use reshade, so I wanted to hop in this topic and suggest something.

Screen Space Global Illumination is something Elder Scrolls Online added that is really nice. It makes the game look pretty good without being ray tracing.

When I use reshade in Elder Scrolls Online I like to add a bit of guassian blur and film grain to the game. Those options in graphics would be nice to see. They make red glows look more sinister and gritty while making everything else look softer. It gives off a very cool hard sci-fi look.

I would really like a way to control what type of anti-aliasing the game uses. I wish we got that option in graphics.

Thanks for your time! :)
    • Up x 1
  20. Soul_Shinobi

There is an ambient occlusion toggle which does help. The lighting is by no means bad with everything turned up, but I understand the desire to tweak it to make it better. I use ReShade on other games but of course the anti-cheat in an online game doesn't like it.

You can control anti-aliasing, thankfully, you have to edit the settings .ini file: PlanetSide 2/UserOptions.ini

You want to modify the line near the top: RenderQuality=1.000000

Use 1.41, 1.73, or 2.0, I believe that corresponds with 2x, 4x, and 8x super sampling modes. Needless to say, frame rate takes a pretty big hit. Most people try to maximize frame rate in this game due to the fast paced gunplay. Here's an advanced graphics guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2306308690
    • Up x 1