[Suggestion] PLAY TO EARN? PS2 CRYPTO?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Deviance, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Deviance

IMAGINE HOW POPULAR THIS GAME WOULD BE IF IT CREATED ITS OWN PLAY TO EARN CRYPTO PLATFORM?

-This game is futuristic and crypto will be adopted into the future.
    - The devs would gain alot of money from it.
    - the devs already have experience creating in game currency.
    - The first big name game that adopts crypto play to earn will create a new standard in gaming.

- Players ONLY EARN if they win an alert and have earned a certain amount of xp?

Just an idea...
  2. brutes359

…you know what else might make this game popular? If people, devs, and players spent even a quarter of the amount of effort and energy they spend trying to monetize the game on actually trying to make it better. playing video games is not, and never has been a job. They are a source of entertainment, and while it would be nice to make money doing that, embracing the idea only leads to further twisting of the game itself to meet those ends.

People need to stop looking for get rich quick schemes like FIFA and Fortnight and get back to being true to their actual talents. In planetside's case, that is large scale war with combined arms tactics.
    • Up x 5
  3. Deviance

I personally have made alot of money in crypto play to earn games. I'm sure peoples Tactics and level of effort devs pt into game development will double easily if the demand for the game sky rocketed. You are thinking about this in a very negative way and you sound like a skeptic and of the older generation. Crypto has proven itself and will be the new standard by 2030 in many peoples view.

Technology is a one way road don't stay in the past. As more and more games adopt play to earn. Planetside 2 will miss a huge opportunity.

Tell me the REAL downsides to this adoption , other then your personal animosity to what high expectations you have to game development?

If this change brought the Devs more money then, More money = more efficient development team. Your problem is solved mister. More players = More money = More MORE MORE .. HELLO?!
    How does this not add up in your mind?
  4. Deviance

5. Deviance

6. brutes359

I'M the one looking at this negatively? I'm sorry, here I was thinking I was the one seeing video games as a hobby and a work of art as they have officially been recognized. Maybe it is just because I recognize their purposes as entertainment rather then a get rich quick scheme. can you make money off of them? yea, probably, E-sports players do it all the time. should we prioritize that over their primary purpose, which is to provide entertainment to the masses and a hobby that lets us get AWAY from the constant money grubbing workaholics lifestyles that make up the 21st century? Absolutely not.

Lets say we went along with this plan....what next? sponsorships like FIFA tried to push? Ads in games? how about paying to respawn like certain battle royals do now? Where does it end? If seeing games for being a hobby over a source of money makes me old, then so be it. But I for one do not want to give the game companies any more reasons to try and monetize games and myself. I don't want to see more gaming "Sweatshops" popping up across the world like MMOs have spawned and in which hundreds of people slave away for days on end, ruining the experience of the game for themselves and others so they can make a profit off of what is supposed to be a enjoyable experience. I don't want games to become a "Business" over a hobby.

You are right, video games are evolving, and we the players have to make sure they evolve in a way that favors the player first and foremost. We have already seen that making devs ridiculously rich does not lead to better games. If that was the case, EA would already be the best gaming company in the world, and games like call of duty would be masterpieces every years. It just makes them more and more greedy. This "Idea" of yours will not lead to better games. It will lead to a mess of people trying to use games to make money, and developers trying to capitalize on that. It will lead to seeing what should be a tool to bring people together for fun and relaxation turned into yet another selfish bid to make money. And you say that I am seeing games in a negative light?
  7. Deviance

As much as I want to agree with you and the many valid points you made, I still want to be compensated in my wallet for my hard earned effort and skill i put into gaming in my life. I don't think its fair that just a select few E-sports players can make money while many skilled players get left behind (because we didn't have the right social connections to make the team). Some of us have disabilities. Like myself, I have been injured on the jobsite 10 years ago that left me practically immobile. So while some of you physically fit folks want a hobby. Others want to put food on the table for their family. I also have just been blessed with a baby and a child to support. I have turned to the online space to find money. It has worked for me to make money in crypto and various jobs online. Therefore I don't view it as a "get rich scheme" as the fiat generations before us blindly say. Fiat currency has been more of a scheme in my mind than crypto will ever be.

Games are artwork, yes....However, I don't think they've been ruined by sweatshops. That would only enhance the player experience having more people playing the game. This game can't really be compared to an MMO thats why i feel it would be a decent fit and feel compared to others. I Do think comparing games like EA to Daybreak is a ridiculous comparison, but you could be right they may not choose to make the game better. Personally out of all games, I feel like the futuristic form of digital assets and the futuristic feel of Planetside 2 go hand in hand. (mining cordium etc.)

Anyways, I'm sure that YOUR need of a form of artwork and sentimental value game will get trumped eventually by the need to find money for our families and the new wave of "work-from-home" pandemic zombie apocalypse. As well as the need for developers to find exposure to the masses and money for their hard earned work. P.S. thank you devs for making Planetside 2 an incredibly fun and satisfying game that I keep coming back to for great experiences. Regardless of the future Planetside 2 is destined for, I will still waste my life away not earning a penny to play your game....(i think i'm at 4000+ hours now)
  8. brutes359

Welp, I suppose lets get this argument properly started then. Much as I sympathize with your inability to work physical jobs due to a disability, it does not mean I would advocate the change of the face of gaming as a whole for this purpose. EA is vary much a perfect example of what happens when an industry gets too rich for its own good. Look at Visceral games, look at Westwood Studios, and all the other game companies put on EAs butcher table in the name of profit. We have plenty of proof that such concepts don't work.

Furthermore, let us think about the future in which YOUR vision of gaming takes place. A world were elitist teams of "Professional" gamers come together under new company banners to absolutely DOMINATE the online battlefields in order to make a profit. A world where cheating rates go through the ceiling because there is money to be had. Where people end up playing games because they HAVE to, not because they want to. Where suddenly earning achievements becomes a quota instead of a satisfaction. Do you think for a moment that these people coming into the game space are going to enhance the experiences for anyone? All it will do is give rise to a new and far more toxic form of elitism in games. Don't believe me? Look up the term "Gold Farmer". It refers to gaming "Sweatshops" predominantly on the Asian continent that currently employs over 100,000 people to farm rare MMO game items to sell to foreign gamers of the western world (which for the record, Planetside IS an MMO. its just an MMO shooter specifically). People who NEED to be successful just to survive, and your telling me your answer is to ENCOURAGE this kind of work space? That is wrong on so many levels. Yes, the idea of getting payed to play video games sounds nice, but you an I both know it wouldn't end up that way.

And yes I do have a need to connect video games to art and sentimental value. And apparently so does the rest of the world or they would not have been CLASSIFED as an art form in the 1980s and achieved display in several art museums such as the display in the Museum of the Moving Image and the Walker Art Center.

I will applaud your attempts at manipulation however. You have in the course of a single post included a section designed to inspire sympathy with your audience, provided credence to a counter argument and then attempted to disprove it, then provided suggestions to your works, and ended with a reinforcing statement that you are credible because of your game time hours in game, while trying to label the counter argument as a "backward" or "Old" belief. In terms of a persuasive essay, this is vary well done.

your problem here though is that you have no official evidence to provide proof that this is a good idea. There are MOUNTAINS of proof though that greed in companies and the pursuit of monetization has made games worse places for the gaming community overall. Look at the British lawsuits over the look box controversy and the argument of illegal gambling in games, or the rise of the battlepass, the attempt to charge players PER RESPAWN in certain battle royals, and of course the endless microtransactions, AND developers insistence that we should raise game prices to 70$ per game. Or how about the MVP development style (Minimum Viable Product), or the soulless dehumanizing of consumers into classifications (Whales for players who spend more than 1,000$ on a game, and Krakens for those who spend over 10,000)? Do these not also prove that gaming companies have not, and never will give grounds to the benefit of their player base over themselves? Why would we ever expect that a company would WILLINGLY allow their players to make money off of their game?

This is not an argument for or against crypto currency either, but rather a question of whether we should allow games to be seen and treated as a job rather than a hobby. Just because an idea is new, does not mean its a good idea. You have suggested that this will help the everyday man make money off something he loves. This is a naïve and foolish belief that you should know by now would never hold up. Even if the concept was implemented, would not gaming companies do everything in their power to twist those earnings to benefit them over their players? We already know they are willing to go as far as illegal gambling for minors, and even planetside is not free of that problem (looking at those implant loot boxes). There is no proof that this would help the average player. However. by the law of supply and demand it DOES prove that a company would likely rise to capitalize on it, and if that happens we all can look forward to those workers, cheaters, and corporations coming to profit off of YOUR spare time.

So don't try and pin this as MY interest in video games as an art form. This argument goes far deeper than that, and it involves far more than just me. I hope for everyone's sake that this concept you are pushing never does succeed, as much as you think it will, because it will be just another example of how the endless, thoughtless, pity less pursuit of money can and will devour every good thing in this world. I hope you do find a good source of income in your situation. I just dont want it to be at my expense.
  9. Shadowpikachu

So like, how does this work? Do you just play and get paid with a coin that needs to be supported everywhere else?

This seems lie even if the devs did everything they could it'd just be monopoly money.
  10. csvfr

CS:GO actually has a marketplace for skins and such. So instead of buying a cosmetic from a shop like in PS2 which becomes bound to your account, it is bought from another player who transfers it. If you get a rare RNG loot drop it can be sold for several dollars. This is of course not real cryptocurrency though as that requires decentralization. If the CS:GO devs wanted to, they could sell enough loot to crash the market, much like a central bank awarding money to themsselves.

Commander Cyrious recently did a video that was sponsored by some NFT blockchain project for gaming. Essentially in the future, loot drops will be bound to a cryptocurrency. E.g. "there will only be 1000 of this camo/armor/weapon" that can be traded between players and other market participants. This liberates the market for cosmetics from a central source of control.
  11. csvfr

This is the video, the NFT presentation starts at 2:18
  12. Deviance

Brute359, If Passionate commitment to the artistry that we call 'games' is your forte and protecting those valuable aspects of the gaming world is your mission, Then you are among the dedicated few protectors of this realm and I commend you for your efforts.

But as history repeats itself, please view crypto, NFTs and whichever decentralized investment opportunities spawning next in the virtual world, as a direct comparisons to when the internet first became a thing. The older generations laughed at it and discredited it, while the younger generations found a way to make use of it and profit from it. I see this argument no different, then what happened back then. And you call me naive for just commenting on proven technology and financial solutions for millions in this global shift to make money for the People not just the rich.

No matter how good your argument is and how immoral the sweatshops are, By the year 2025 crytpo adoption will become mainstream. There is no sentimental argument that will hide you from it and protect you from your loveable artwork. The reality is that our world is changing. Whether you like it or not crypto will infest your games that you love. like a plague and you will one day benefit financially from it. Maybe your hard earned gaming hours can earn you enough money to send to the people working in the sweatshops and you could start your own 'save-a-sweatshop' campaign.

The point is that you can either benefit from it now or get left behind financially. That's how the world works these days . Sorry not sorry. You can try and twist my words or say i'm manipulating things. When I am just spouting FACTS. None of that crap changes the fact that what I am saying is already happening before your eyes. and if planetside 2 misses out on it, thats really a shame, for it is a space taht can really benefit from having a large space battle. Look at the crypto industry as a gigantic cyber space battle and maybe it will be easier for you to swallow the pill when this game does one day decide to adopt it. Hhaha :)

Planetside 2 needs more population on its servers. Do you have another suggestion of how to make the numbers grow? If so tell us now!!! It's crucial to making the game last!!!

Cheer up Brute. There are far worse things out there than gaming sweatshops and bannable cheaters in this world. I lived in a 3rd world country for 3 years of my life and seen far worse than gaming sweatshops. Please get over it. An Idea for you is to print off or edit memorable saved screenshots of your favorite gaming moments before they became violated by the cryptos and sell them on an NFT market collection and I'm sure they will take a pretty penny from the wallets of other sentimental beings in 10 years from now.

;) Peace brotha, I think we both made our points clear. I'm done arguing. Let other give there opinion now please. Thanks.
  13. brutes359

Wow, now you lived in a third world country? Really reaching for that golden apple of sympathy huh. Your problem with that statement is that if you DID live in a third world country, youd know EXACTLY what im talking about. Any time a business opens up that can exploit western economies and stupid fads, corporations jump all over it and force those in worse situations to work nearly to death to exploit it. Its not that there are things worse. Its that is a deplorable thing to do in the first place. There are crimes worse than theft, should we ignore theft claims? Your logic on that is flawed.

The other problem you have in this argument is that your only suggesting the same thing over and over again "Its inevitable....embrace it". okay Thanos. Your right about one thing, though, History repeats itself....one bad idea at a time. This isn't about crypto becoming mainstream, it is about whether it is acceptable to try and convert an entertainment medium into a job, and to this point you have not offered a single shred of evidence to back up your claim. You just keep saying "Its the future, embrace it" while your post is completely dismantled by the evidence that has been building up for more than 20 years now. Your "Facts" you spout about are nonexistent, they are claims your making with no major substantial evidence. You mentioned one MMO you played and claimed to have made money from, and you provided NO evidence to back it up.

And yes, you ARE naïve (Which is kind of ironic if your are from a third world country since those are the ones most often screwed by corporations). Does EA and activation make over 18 BILLION dollars per year being nice to their players? Of course not, and any pipe dream of a major corporation in any market tossing you a dime that isn't directly ordered of them by the almighty government is like asking a crocodile if it will share its dinner. No, and if you ask, your likely to become it. Its not about whether the technology would work in that case. Its whether the giant rich conglomerate over your head would LET you take advantage of it. If the patents being eaten up or extorted by oil corporations are anything to go by....my guess is no.

You say to give suggestions to improve planetsides population? Fine, stop wasting recourses on stupid fads and experiments instead of going with what works. That means no planetside arena, no aping CODs faster paced gameplay, and none of this crypto currency marketing scheme. Stop nerfing everything that people know and love into the ground. stop wasting recourses on NSO when those same recourses can be spend on faction specific content, properly maintain your servers, start putting REAL effort into dealing with cheaters, start reading the forums and checking player comments for interesting ideas, fire faction biased individuals such as Wrel, or at least delegate them towards something productive (or at least less destructive) such as cosmetics only, stop removing bases people like, stop trying to speed up gameplay to follow a CQC "Flow of Battle". stop looking at what other games are doing and focus on what this game does best Massive combined armed battles with a total war them. There, see if those wouldn't bring players back.

And stop acting like I am some old lone sentinel spouting outdated information. I have provided well over 20 different examples of CURRENT events that back up my statements. Where's your evidence? Where's your proof that this idea is worth pursuing? Go peddle your snake oil elsewhere.
    • Up x 1
  14. brutes359

It also sounds like it produces artificial scarcity in a space in which recourse literally mean nothing. Imagine if every gun, skin, voice pack, and title was a limited time or limited item. Imagine the nightmare that would be for completionists or even just people looking for specific cosmetic combinations. We already see just how fun battlepasses are by essentially turning everything they touch into a time limited thing. "Hey man, nice armor. Can you tell me where you got it so I can get it?" "Sorry that event was 3 years ago" "Is it coming back....ever?" "No"

I cant tell you how many of my friends have that exact conversation. There is no rhyme or reason for these sorts of things. In virtual spaces, there is no recourse cost for anything. Once its designed, it can be replicated indefinitely without cost. Schemes like this only serve to force people to participate in a new system that benefits those who control it overall....eg, devs and corporations. There should not be a "Market" for in game items. They should be items you can either grind for in game at a reasonable pace. Or in the cases of cosmetics, sold at normal reasonable prices if in free games (Like Planetside 2), or earned in game for any game that has a actual price tag (exceptions for dlc items of course).
    • Up x 1
  15. csvfr

In 'Counter Strike: Source' spray tags - which can be compared to PS2 decals - could be freely imported by the player by selecting an image on the disk. In CS:GO this is monetized to having to pay for a choice among a limited selection of pre-made and pre-approved images. There is no reason why people should not be able to import decals; if it is offensive like a swastika or **** the player can be sanctioned by a moderator. The few outfits with custom decals look way cooler than the others. As for camos and armor however, these do have an in-game effect beyond creative expression due to the camoflague effect and need to be approved. Having them sellable on a market is a good thing for players who can recoup expenses when deciding to leave the game.
  16. Demigan

I just read up on what the hell play-to-earn games are and can I just say ARE YOU COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MINDS?

Lets ignore the problems of how this would encourage killfarming and Zergfits to farm base/continent captures and just investigate the play-to-earn idea itself.

Lets say a random game like CS:GO starts dropping lootboxes as rewards for playing. These lootboxes leave behind skins of various rarity, and you allow players to sell these skins online to other players. Ofcourse besides playing to earn them you can also buy some and hope you get a good drop which you can sell on the marketplace.
    Hey that sounds familiar? This is the exact setup for the lootbox scandal that essentially let underage kids gamble their money away for a potential jackpot.

Ok so you dont want to get caught as a gambling game and dont sell the lootboxes directly. That still means you can make easy money by selling stuff on the marketplace that has a high value, you are the developers and can just create more of a rare thing. besides that you can limit sales to an in-game marketplace and take 10% of any sale. You are printing money now! So the devs suddenly have a new goal: make "rewards" that players want, and make it more desireable to get them. This is just lootboxes but with one extra step.

Such systems serve only one purpose: earn the developers money. Now if its about playing the game for fun then the devs are encouraged to make the best game possible with the best entertainment value and lore etc so players come back for the next game or to buy some stuff to show off. But if the money is in making something in-game desireable so players put down money for it all you are doing is create skinner boxes.

Look at the games that use this system now. Designed with things like no end-goal or virtually incompleteable within a certain time frame unless you put down money.

Best of all is the word of mouth. "Oh but its great! I earned money with such a system, you want to earn money too right? So its great!". But in the end someone else always pays money, and just like any gambling or other method of making an outcome desireable the money spend cant always be missed.

When someone suggests "lets put lootboxes 2.0 into the game!" I'm going to say a hard no to that.
  17. Deviance

Hey thanks for the idea! I'm creating an alt-coin called snake oil. I'm going to peddle it back in my 3rd world country.

I hope planteside 2 hires you. You clearly care about the game more than the current developers.

You have my vote. And you win this awesome debate. RESPECT!

Sending you internet hugs and kisses. No more stress honeypie.