More mission feedback

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Oct 25, 2021.

1. RabidIBM

After some more time with the mission system I have some more feedback:

-FORGETTING ABOUT MISSIONS:
    I'm a vet from 2013 and I commonly realize 2 hours into a session that I forgot to activate missions. I don't have to learn the whole rest of the game and I'm forgetting this detail. Supposedly missions are NPE, yet it's one more thing to remember to do on top of this game's learning cliff.
    Solution: Have all missions active by default, limit the number of rewards which may be collected per day rather than limiting the number of missions which may be activated.

Gun play is actually a good mission. I recommend making a second version of it: Score 3 kills with 3 different weapons unlocked in trial mode. This would encourage spending through the "puppy clause". (If you don't know what the puppy clause is, it's the "I'm not asking you to keep him, but can you take care of the last puppy from the litter for a weekend? If you still don't want him, you can bring him back on Monday"...the puppy doesn't come back)

Cortium run: Change it to "deliver cortium to a silo owned by another player". Then substantially juice the value for this one, but eliminate all point benefit for depositing into one's own silo. The cortium meta has a problem of orphan silos made for certs. It's particularly annoying to see one of the nodes I'd intended to be a regular for by base getting spawn blocked by naked silo with 35k in it. I know what happened, I know that the player who I want to be mad at is only chasing incentives. Please change the incentives.

The heavy assault mission: Scoring vehicle damage with the launcher can be a bugger in heavier fighting. This is because the player must hit the same vehicle repeatedly to score this objective. Very commonly when playing this mission I score the first hit, then this results in a vehicle kill assist while I'm reloading, meaning no progress on the mission. "Oh darn, I succeeded too hard!" is not something any mission should cause me to say. Replace the vehicle damage requirement for a vehicle kills and/or assists requirement.

The light assault mission: Scoring kills while in the air is a pain. I get that the point is to teach new players to use their jets while playing the mission, but that's not actually how jets are meant to be used. I know I'm explaining things to the people who thought the Seeker was a good idea, but the jets are intended to get a player TO a good firing position, you're not meant to be firing the jets while shooting. This is essentially training players wrong. There's also a difference between hand-holding and insulting people's intelligence. I figured out what jets are and what that means the LA's function is back in the days when the tutorial was a drop pod. Forcing players to score kills while jetting to claim a mission because you otherwise wouldn't trust them to figure out that they exist is insulting. New players are inexperienced, not stupid.

The engi and medic missions are fine. I don't play much infil, so I have no comment on that mission.

Why no MAX mission? Just make it a big kill + assist score, like 30 or something.

New mission concept: "Support gunner" score kills/assists/vehicle destruction/AA damage/etc. with weapons mounted on other players' vehicles.

New mission concept: "Combat driver" drive a vehicle while a gunner scores points. I forget what the point credits are called, but take what I already get when my gunner scores points and make a mission out of it.

New mission concept: Win an alert

New mission concept: Destroy or assist against a bastion component.

New mission concept: Capture a major facility (amp/bio/tech)

So there's 6 new mission concepts, now prune the bad missions. "Drive a harasser around your home territory" and "Para-drop to some towers, then redeploy" are pointless missions. Scrap them. Mining for Elysium can also go. I know you intended it to create fights in new places, but all it turned into was "wait for the drill to drop in friendly territory, then go afk".

Final point, let me re-roll 1 or 2 missions per day. No play style is for everyone. Maybe I just don't like infil. Maybe I'm not feeling the social energy to squad lead today. Let me "Nope" 1 or 2 missions per day and get a re-draw.
  2. Lee Weldon

The missions feel fine even if you don't complete all of them each day. It used to take me like a month to grind a new gun, I probably would do that in 3 days now. The Halloween event on the other hand is almost impossible for a casual. I don't know if I should go for the heal/repair ticks, melee kills or pumpkins. I spent about an hour farming pumpkins and only found 6, I have resurrected about 200 people in the time it took me to quarter fill the heal/repair one, so this is something I would do naturally if I played for the entire month, the melee kill one seems plausible by going ham at it though I've already killed like 4 people who aren't wearing masks, yet zero with the masks on.
  3. csvfr

As a non-member, there are only five missions available each day and a maximum of five may be selected. So no choice involved, it turns into opening the menu and clicking a couple of times each day and adjusting the play style to accommodate for the requirements. The clicking parts feel kind of useless and could be done automatically.
  4. Liewec123

most of them just don't feel like they happen naturally for me,
    they all have some part with requirements that i just don't partake in.
    i pretty much only ever do "front line spawn" (pull a sundy, get people spawning there)
    and bounty hunter (because i'm bound to kill someone with a bounty at some point during my session.

i'd much prefer if the class type missions didn't need you to do everything listed
    and it instead all counted towards mission progress

like the medic one for example
    currently it looks like this:
    kill enemies as a medic (10 required)
    earn heal/shield recharge xp (30 ticks required)
    revive fallen allies (10 required)

imho it'd be much better to have:
    "as a medic, kill enemies or support your allies"
    and you have a simple bar that fills up from 0 to 100%
    a kill grants 5%, a revive grants 5%, a heal/shield recharge tick grants 1%.

so as long as you're playing medic you will complete the objective no matter what you're doing on medic.
    if you can't manage to get those elusive healing ticks don't worry, you'll complete the objective anyway!
    if you prefer playing full support and don't want to grind kills don't worry, you'll complete the objective anyway!
  5. Lee Weldon

It probably doesn't need to be made that easy to complete though, since 10 of these is a free weapon and comparatively if I got 50 certs in a day of playing that was a long day back in the past. If you make it too easy people are encouraged to just log in do the missions and log out after 5 minutes. The only thing I see being wrong with this is that reviving 10 allies is basically just throwing 3 revive grenades, then basically you sit and sit and sit hoping people get injured so you can get the healing ticks, maybe I am forced to cert into the shielding ability so I guess also how long these objectives take to complete is heavily based on your progress already in the game, getting 10 revives without revive grenades would be painfully slow and encourage suicidal gameplay like running into the open where you have no business being to rez someone.