[Suggestion] EQUIPMENT DISABLED

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Piska, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Piska

Sometimes some of us like to use a grenade launcher, or drive a vehicle on the battlefield and sometimes we can accidentally drive over someone, especially at around 3 km/h. Grenade launcher is very fun, but it's very easy to hit friendly soldiers and all others deployables and mines and ammo and shield.

For such an unacceptable behavior we got punished by blocked equipment. We know, we deserve it! We had our fun and we can wait a little bit, but after our equipment got unlocked and we accidently hit ANYTHING ONE TIME, our equipment is locked again for even longer.

I Know that this system is design against griefers, but something need to be adjust with weapon time block. Or at least unlock ammo bag, repair and medik gun, so I can be useful on the battlefield!
    • Up x 1
  2. Pandora's Lunchbox

I think weapon-lock is pretty well-refined actually. Take a step back and think again about why you're getting weapon-locked... Don't fire at friendlies. This sounds like one of those ridiculous backline-attacking-frontline situations, except made worse by the fact that you're using explosives rather than merely ignorantly firing bullets. I'm not going to touch the bit about driving to getting weapon-locked. That should really speak for itself.
  3. Twin Suns

Good...weapon lock his @$&. Learn to control you’re dam ordinance noobtuber. Hey, no skill poo poo slinger. Stop shooting allies in the back.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nalianna

All that's fair enough, but what about penalties like negative XP for team killing? I think that might have more of an effect on some. And if they totally run out of XP, THAT's when you can lock their weapons. Just a thought. In DUST514, you were penalised when you tk'd someone. I think that could work here too.
  5. Demigan

The OP is right. The current anti-grief system is an unrefined piece of ****-eating fungus.

What the OP describes is how fast you get re-locked after a weapon lock. As an example I parked my Lightning off the side of the road to avoid collisions and I opened the map to see what I would be doing now as the weapon lock ended. A single tank bumped me as I was stationary. Not a ram or collision, just one guy who for some reason went off-road and bumped me as he passed. That got me my second weapon lock. The first weapon lock is 5 minutes, the second one 15 minutes. That is 15 minutes of weapon lock for someone else bumping me.

The current anti-grief system doesnt even do its job. It does not stop a determined teamkiller from blowing up a deployed Sunderer (unless you use a deployment shield and even then its possible). It also does not prevent players from blocking allies with vehicles and deployed turrets.

I understand that there are many playstyles that never encounter enough griefpoints for a weapon lock, but I've literally been locked with my first shot because I was in a vehicle group that bumped into me all the time (and the weapon lock warning hadnt played).

The system needs to be contextual and look at player history. If there are no enemies within X meters or rendered and your reticule is close to them, you should get a lot more griefpoints than you do now for teamkilling. If there are enemies nearby or within your reticule within the last 2 seconds, you should get a lot less griefpoints, especially if the ally you hit doesnt die.
    Some griefpoints should not be accumulated at all. Bumping into other vehicles and dealing 1 to 10 damage should not accumulate grief points unless you are behind an ally who is backing up and under fire. If you bump into infantry as vehicle but dont roadkill them you should not get griefpoints and if you are under fire in a vehicle and backing up you should not get grief points (or very little) for driving over the stupids who think that hiding behind a vehicle under fire is a good idea.

Every single weapon lock I had was because the stupidity of others and my unwillingness to sacrifice a solid position because others want to jump in front of me even when there's a visible stream of bullets they are stepping into. I understand greediness and I'll stop firing when they do, but getting weapon locked because people walk through me or my line of fire as I'm firing is not my fault.
    Also when some ******** person tries to TK my vehicle because he decided to change from walking paralel to the road to on the road without looking or listening I should not be getting (many) griedpoints for blowing him up before he does.

Additionally the game should use prior statistics to judge characters. A character almost exclusively used to TK Sunderers should be weapon locked far sooner. In fact dropping a C4 at a Sunderer when no enemies are around and pressing the trigger should automatically result in a weapon lock.
    This way you can use stats to punish repeat characters while someone who has an occasional accident or drives vehicles more often isnt automatically punished for it.

There are also ways to alter the way the anti-grief system works. An empathy system that increases the damage the player gets when he hits allies for example. So as your grief points increase then before the weapon lock sets in you will start receiving damage for allies you hit, eventually killing you if you keep it up.

With such changes you can tailor the system to better punish deliberate teamkillers and let undeliberate teamkillers/damagers do their thing. It makes no sense to punish players for the stupidity of others.
  6. RabidIBM

I've been playing since 2013 and am under the influence of performance impairing substances as often as you would expect from someone in an outfit named "The Drunk Division". I can't think of any time I've actually been weapon locked. I've gotten final warning while driving a colossus, but unless I managed to get weapon locked while black out drunk I don't think it has ever happened.

Check fire soldier! Same team!
  7. brutes359

Honestly? I agree with this. I understand that these systems are meant to prevent griefing, but I get weapon locked so many times as a TR MAX from stupid randoms running in front of a volley of surprising fire. Its ridiculous, and it really does cripple people in the game, especially since they made nametags basically invisable at long range.....Oh look, a light on that hillside....BLAM, oh crap, that was a friendly.

It really does turn each nighttime battle into a game of "Which firefly is trying to kill you".
  8. JustGotSuspended

They should show us the grief points and how much we need to get equipment disabled.
  9. RabidIBM

Once a week my outfit does a 5-10 minute event behind the line which involves a lot of team killing. It's funny memes, and because we're the same outfit it doesn't count the griefer score. This week we had a lot of non outfit in the platoon and did it anyways. I played a 5 minute event that is all about team killing and didn't get weapon locked. 5 minutes straight, of intentional TK, and no weapon lock.

Check
    Your
    Fire
  10. Demigan

You just proved OP's point. Intentional TK's carry so little weight, but unintentional hits (and a rare kill) is enough for a weapon lock.

You can say "well I've never had it happen to me" but that is no excuse to keep it.

Now before someone thinks I personally get weapon locked every other playsession, I think I can count my weapon locks on two hands. The thing is that they are so memorable to me because they are caused due to the wonkyness of the game or because other people keep doing stupid things.

Again: it doesnt matter that you never got weapon locked, what matters is that we have a robust and capable system to prevent griefing. Which your story just demonstrated we dont have.

So change the weapon lock system to do what it is supposed to do, and incidentally also make sure that players arent punished for other people's stupidity. Unlike you Rabit I've had numerous warnings for killing the same guy 3 or 4 times because they were pissed at being run over because they were stupid and then try to C4 me. I dont think it is fair to be getting warnings and having to leave an entire area because dipsh it no9 couldnt fathom how running blindly into a busy road was a bad idea and had to take revenge.