Anyone else miss the OLD planetside2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SharkBaitC22, Oct 5, 2021.

1. SharkBaitC22

Yeah I am an old player, and yeah I am a bit salty/disappointed on what this game has become.

Remember when the Galaxy/Sunderer were used to move your squad around? We have made it so easy to just move around the continents that you can move a 96+ in an instant. Squad beacons, Routers have really destroyed the online battlefield, where logistics once mattered. Moving troops and armor around to support fights was what won and lost battles. Now Galaxies are nothing more than a joke, sometimes being used as a battle Gal...or a repair ball of whales...but seldom anything else. The Implants have removed the need for ammo sunderers/Gals, Nanite autorepair and other implants no longer required repair Gals or Sundies. We have slowly removed the need for team, and made everyone self sufficient. When is the last time you sought out a ammo/repair sunderer on the battlefield?

We are drifting away from what PS2 once was...We are now just pandering to the CS:Go players milking their K:Ds, could care less what is going on around them...they just want their KD higher. The minute something impacts their KD, "NERF IT" they scream...its ruining my fun.
    the issue is, I don't believe they are the core players of PS2. Those CS:Go players will drop PS2 and move to the next shooter in an instant. The core folks that remain, I think want the online battlefield....want the logistics back.

I know Daybreak is just following the money, and I do not blame them for that. I am just bummed that this is what things have become. Ok I'm done....move about your day. Thanks for reading my woes.
    SB
    • Up x 7
  2. OneShadowWarrior

Yes.

Only reason why this game is still around is because no one has cloned it yet. As soon as they do, which is inevitable.

It’s finished.
    • Up x 2
  3. Pikachu

I don't remember logistics ever playing a role. o_O
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

I remember all the rules that were put in place to make it harder to drop 96+ players on one location because players became so good at it that it trivialized the game.
    "Oh you are having a good fight? Lets drop twice the number and cap it without resistance, then repeat that for as long as our ops last today. Sounds fun!"
    The rules never truly worked though.

This type of "screw good gameplay lets just cap bases with little to no fight" mentality has become increasingly influential in the developers agenda, causing irreperable damage to the game like the removal of the bridge at TI Alloys and other attempts to stop players having fun in one base. If you want that capture-the-continent gameplay to be enjoyed by everyone then MAKE IT FUN YA DUMMIES.

Nostalgia is not what comes to my mind when thinking of the old Planetside 2 Gal Drops and "logistics" based on "everybody go to warpgate get in Gal and fly straight to the objective and repeat ad infinitum". The fact that you call that logistics is even preposterous. You might as well call doing 1+2 calculations a thousand times over accounting with how trivial it was and still is to perform.
    • Up x 3
  5. Somentine

The same players that have largely stayed or supported the game for like 6+ years aren't the core players of PS2? lol.
    • Up x 2
  6. brutes359

You mean the same planetside that didnt have implants? The one were we DIDNT have to deal with 90 percent of the playerbase moving around the battlefield at mach 3 though implants or ambusher jet packs? The same planetside were MAXs used to actually be good and actually did their job well and where flak armor ACTUALLY protected them from C-4? the same planetside were TR LMGs actually did decent damage and tank battles were engaging? The same planetside were we actually had battles of over 200+ people in more than one area and up to three continents open? The same planetside were ambusher jump jets didn't exist, turning every light assault into a cruise missile. The same planetside where the game didn't crash every ten seconds because of stupid map design gimmicks (esamir storm) and the new players didn't immediately get curb stomped by the elitist teams that have played the game for 8+ years nonstop? Where AA launchers actually chased down aircraft like they were supposed to, and giant flying gimmick ships didn't lag our game into next year. Yea I remember those days.

And they're gone now. replaced by a game full of the devs mythical "Faster Paced Gameplay" the revolves around their so called "Flow of Battle". A game were anyone who lacks a reaction time of .3 nanoseconds dies instantly by rocket propelled nut going by at the speed of sound, and tank battles are ground down into games of who can deploy on the highest mountain the furthest from the battlefield. A game were 75% of the guns are useless garbage designed for long range encounters that no longer exist because of "New and improved" map design that pushes the CQC "Flow of combat" into every engagement, and implants reward players for bad and selfish gameplay. A game were everyone has to be self sufficient enough to be a 1 man army, and anyone who speaks up about the changes gets meme blasted out of existence. A game where MAX suits have been nerfed into oblivion so that no one will use them even when their free because they dared to be disrupter units that would interrupt the "Flow of combat" the devs worship so dearly.

This is the new game they wanted, aping to the faster paced obsession of call of duty, battlefield, fortnight, and all the other crappy fads in their ever growing pursuit of money, and they even had to add an entire new faction just to sell their stupid subscription services because so fiew people still play the game anymore, instead of funneling those recourses to desperetly needed bug fixes, factions balances, and new faction specific content. So yea I remember the old days of planetside 2. Or I should say I remember Planetside 2 itself, because this new crap isnt planetside 2 anymore.
    • Up x 2
  7. Somentine

Get a load of this hot take.

I hope it's sarcasm.
  8. conecall

well, he is 100% right about everything except battlefield, at least in battlefield theres more than 2 ways of playing it.. but everything else is pretty spot on, used to be a great game, now its just COD but stuck in 2012 still :(
    • Up x 1
  9. shlimon bakous

I'm an old Planetside 2 player too and I totally agree that old Planetside 2 was a thousand times better.
    • Up x 2
  10. melioa

yeah.....2012 was a good time for Planetside 2. i think the game started to go down hill when Wrel was hired as a Dev....he kept on being promoted (why?) to eventually become the lead Dev :( . as soon as he became lead Dev, the game gathered pace of going down hill......now with this last mistake they had to sort of fix (it should never have gone live in the first place) Wrel should either be fired, or just leave and go and beg the guys at everquest if they will hire him.....as in my opinion, he has driven more people from the game with his stupid ideas that he has added to the game (we do not want to play the game YOUR WAY and PLAY STYLE Wrel) than any of the hackers/cheaters could have driven away from the game. the state the game is in now, all falls down to you now Wrel.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pikachu

Your glasses look a little rose tinted. :rolleyes: Think back on these things:

Tower bases where vehicles spawn at the center, constantly crushing team mates.
    Striker and AV mana turret projectiles not rendering and going through walls at a certain range.
    ZOE MAX everywhere killing everything.
    NC MAXes with hacksaws killing everything.
    Prowler splash damage being the same as NC and vanu.
    Drop pods dropping inside solid objects allowing the player to shoot through.
    Sunderer having to waste a cert slot on spawning module.
    Flash being extremely vulnerable to collision and having poor handling. Exploding all the time.
    Sunderer debris being able to destroy tanks. "My tank exploded from being hit by a friendly sunderer's tire."
    NC Canister costing 1000 certs and having 1 shot before reload, while TR and vanu equivalents cost 250 certs.
    That short time when saron and enforcer killed infantry with 1 shot.
    Flak armor reduced explosion damage by 25%, while nanoweave reduced all damage by 25%.
    One C4 brick reduces tank health to red.
    Every update introducing game breaking bugs.

Some stuff that comes to mind.
    • Up x 2
  12. brutes359

pretty much half that list is bugs. and yea, most of those are gone, but they have been replaced with NEW AND IMPROVED BUGS, that don't just irritate you, they literally lead to the entire continent needing to be shut down.

In all honesty though, Ill give you the hacksaw comment. Its true, but most people dealt with it because they were useless beyond 5 feet anyway, and still are. But I will take everything else you commented and more over the flaming garbage we have today. At least back then my TR heavy could actually get decent kills, and the only tank really effected by c-4 at the time was prowlers. Magriders had the mag burn boost to outrun c-4 fairies, and vanguards had the old full spectrum shield that could actually block it.
    • Up x 1
  13. brutes359

Also, My reply about battlefield was in reference to battlefields dumbing down of battlefield complexity. removing advanced team oriented tasks such as javelin teams in favor of focusing on simple gameplay options that only ever favored aggressive gameplay and trying to squeeze their player base for more money through their microtransactions. which planetside is attempting to do now through the new faction system.

Thank you though. It is nice to see others who agree with me on this.
  14. conecall

well, dnu about that i mostly played battlefield solo, and only the modern version so not the last 2, hopefully they will have a nice one comming out now tho :p
  15. Demigan

Lets continue!

Basic ESF noseguns being about as powerful as current TankBusters.
    The rocketpod being able to clear out a platoon at a Sunderer with a single pass while also being able to put MBT's on fire with one direct volley.
    Dalton being able to destroy tank columns and have about the same AOE and damage as current HE guns
    Zepher being able to take out squads in a single volley, platoons in a single attack run and also being able to clear the field of vehicles despite being an AI gun.
    Vehicle Heat vision being just a super-awareness utility.
    Deployed Prowlers being able to take out entire tank columns.
    An HE prowler being able to stop entire platoons from doing anything in a base.
    PPA Magriders being able to stop and wipe out any size infantry group as long as they cant spread out too much.
    L-PPA from Scythers being able to stop entire platoons (and so far none of this is hyperbole! They really did!).
    Mozzie Banshees being able to wipe out Squads in a single pass.
    Tower Bases with the infamous Hallway of Death.
    The ability to deconstruct your vehicle to deny enemies the kill.
    Virtually no XP gain for kills and vehicle destructions.
    No G2A available from the start (even lock-ons came about later, and when they did you needed 5 people to down one ESF).
    Flak being so useless that ESF and Liberators, who had rendering issues causing them to see enemy flak units only within 30m or so, could still kill the flak units before the flak destroyed them. Early on Skyguards could lose from an EAF nosegun before they killed the ESF.
    Friendly infils not being highlighted in any way, you couldnt know if that shadow was ally or enemy until they decloaked. Also the decloak sounds were the same across factions.
    Magrider Saron was an anti-tank sniper that could double as high-powered battle rifle.
    Underbarrel grenade launchers had a large OHK radius, making them extremely powerful.
    Liberators getting several undeserved buffs out of nowhere.
    The Harasser on release could take on vehicle columns. Ofcourse even then the Harasser people said "this is fine!".
    Claymore's large directional explosion and lethal range making them easy to use and getting 3x the kills of the other two mine types.
    No mine denial zone at vehicle pads.
    Furies dealing too much damage against tanks, making blockade sundies easily beat 2/2MBT's.
    No lattice meant a free-for-all ghostcap and Zergs that never ended until they decided to pick on a large facility. Zergs even avoided one another when they met.
    The base placement being completely out of whack. VS could for example easily take the most southern bases from Skydock mesa and from there take the bases below in the canyons.
    No faction warpgate rotation.
    Players spawning in had their avatar loaded before they could act, making spawnkilling childsplay.
    All bases open to vehicles, letting them dominate with ease.
    Even less limits on redeployside. You enjoy that battle over there? Lets swarm it with twice the numbers and shut down any fight.
    Prowler base DPS had an even larger difference compared to the other two MBT's than now.
    HA overshields gave a ridiculous 750+health
    Many HA LMG's had virtually no downsides, being good at both short and longrange.
    TR MAX pounders being able to wipe the floor with infantry.
    Vulcans being mid-range omniversal weapons capable of melting tanks, decent at killing infantry and even outperforming flak against aircraft that got a bit close.
    Gatekeepers being able to clear the field when they were added.
    NC's Ravens clearing entire vehicle columns when placed right.

The list goes on and on...

But hey it was so much better early on!
    • Up x 2
  16. VV4LL3

I miss the most -- multiclassing.
    What I miss second -- vehicle combat diversity. (Vehicle Air Transports, Mechs, etc...)
    What I miss third -- playerstudio content from all players being submitted to the game store.
    What I do not miss -- Pointless grinding.
    What I enjoy the most about where PS2 is going -- Campaigns, Strategy, Base building, ... Do I feel like it's completely there yet? No.
  17. Somentine

He's actually wrong about nearly everything.

-Implants are old. They weren't 2012 old, but somewhere around 2014-2015, and overall are a good addition to the game.
    -IDK wtf he's talking about mach 3, as sprint speed is the same as launch and ambushers aren't everywhere. To top it off, NWA just made nearly everyone 10% slower.
    -Maxes are still the single strongest in door thing you can bring, still delete inf, and are still repairable and revivable.
    -Max's flak DOES stop c4s, it literally doubles the c4 needed to kill a max.
    -TR LMGs aren't all top tier, but MSW-R (one of THE best LMGs in the game), butcher, carv, and watchman are all good weps.
    -Idk about tank battles, may be correct there, may not be.
    -Complaining about population, that starting dropping almost immediately after launch. The numbers from last year to today are some of the highest they've been since launch.
    -Ambushers are dumb, yes, but are very evenly distributed among all jetpack slots. The only real concern is c4 and shotguns.
    -I haven't had a game crash in years, and even then it was once or twice throughout my entire time playing. Nor do you hear about it other than once in a long, long time.
    -Some trash about 'elite teams' rolling people, should probably read as them being a scrub and getting stomped by average 2kd players.
    -AA balance and just general Air vs. ground has been an issue even from launch, idk what this nerd is smoking.
    -Do bastions cause issues? Even on my old af CPU they barely touched my FPS any more than normal.

That's only one paragraph of his ramblings; dude has no real idea wtf he's talking about.
  18. conecall

-so he was right about implants you say
    -sprint speed is the same, ambush jetjump and spam jumping lets u fly and keep jumping to keep the speed which is stupid as hell
    -maxes are so ******* weak its horrible, miss the good old days there u didnt need 50% maxes and 50% mechanics to push a flagroom lol
    -dnu about the flak thing tbh - but yeah 1 c4 with flak armor should do like 55% of its hp or so i guess
    - he didnt say TR lmg´s are all top tier, he said they suck and they do
    -tank battles sucks ***, its just a slower version of sniping really
    -numbers dropped WAAAAAAAAAAY much and nothing been done to compensate for it, so we never have more than 1 high population fight, and its always in the middle of the map - highly repetative and quickly becomes boring to always have the same sundie, the same spot, the same base, every fight being at the same doors at the same 3 flags, with the same tower of snipers shooting down and thats littereally every single detail of every fight ever fought in the middle of the map...
    -Ambushers are fine, if it didnt have a billion bugs letting they stay at ambusher speed forever lol
    -well, crashes are pretty iffy, a bad game dosnt crash nonstop for everyone, it just conflics with a setting in windows 80% of the players have or some dumb **** like that - altho i experience about 1 crash every 2 month (game just instantly closes) so not a biggie for me
    -theyve tried abunch of **** to make the game more even, all stupid as **** and just nerfing everything, making the only way to play is CSGO so yeah, a global elite is gonna **** YOU UP MATE - obviosuly good players are fine to have, and they shouldnt be hated for being good, but the problem lies in theres littereally just 1 mechanic, lasering them down like csgo and not many other options to take down a so called pro rolling over 20 people at a base by himself - cant spend 5minutes being sneaky instead of just peaking and having good aim cause.. but everything that assisted to that fact has been nerfed beyond redemption
    -it was pretty good at launch tho, sure every now and then an aircraft would come by and smoke up 10 people cause they were a little tooclose, however you could still fight them fairly easy, and navoidable ways to die to an aircraft almost never happened - just dont run in the middle of the street pretty much - where as now littereally only the top2% of the playerbase is even allowed to fly, and when they do, i still 1v4 the best players of the game with a single heavy rpg lockon launcher - took 2 small issues and turned it into completely destroying everything about the airspace in planetside, further cementing the CSGO gameplay and weakening "choices" picking "im not good at aim, but im patient and a real life ninja, so imma just sneak for days and knife him - except knives got nerfed too hard too cause its not shooting an AK47

hes right about everything, you just like csgo too much (which is fair but common, it was supposed to be infantry V vehicles V aircraft with different classes playing way differently, yet it just turned into everyone play infantry and only use ak47-like weapons. No explosions, no anything really, just nerfing ambusher jets instead of fixing the bugs around it until abusher jets just move you 5cm.. its a seriously stupid way of running a game if you ask me.. look at any game, all make DLC, adding content, not just removing evey attachement to every weapon thats acturally useful for more than ak47'ing people to death instead of every adding a single new thing to the game (until late 2020 we acturally got something new for the first time in 8 years.. then late 2021 we get a new weapon changing it up and nerfed out of existance too lol "it can 2 shot (you mean 2 second killtime vs the normal 0.6 second? how thats op lol, snipers have 0.1) but its simple, its not an AK47, sooo now its more like an average of 5 seconds to kill :D
  19. Demigan

Dear god how wrong can you get?

Lets just point out that Ambushers rarely outperform the other jetpacks. To use it offensively you have to jump straight at your enemy. If they see you do that they can blow you apart before your COF has settled enough for accurate shots. That means you have to do it from a flanking position, and the other jetpacks have a far easier time getting into those positions. The advantage of the Ambusher speed is also heavily reduced when you are coming from a flanking position. If they spot you too late to blow you apart then the other jumpjets would have worked fine. Ambushers are also less accurate compared to the other jumpjets, and if you want speed then Drifters can get you farther and faster to your destination overall.

Complaining about ambushers this much shows a lack of knowledge and possibly skill to deal with basic enemies. I have yet to see a situation where the Ambushers were blatantly superior over the other jumpjets. Try it yourself for longer than the 10 seconds you did to confirm your bias and learn how they operate.

Just about everything else is about as wrong.
  20. Somentine

No, he's an idiot and wrong about nearly everything, as are you.

-Implants (re: "nearly everything") are one of the better things added to the game, and were added after PS2 lost a whole bunch of players very soon after launch (which is going to be a repeatable theme, btw).

-Maxes aren't weak, don't be delusional.

-It does 50% with flak, 100% without, at max damage range. https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Ordnance_Armor

-How can TR's LMGs suck, when half of them are good, and one is in the running for THE BEST? Please, keep up.

-Low pop is low pop. People have also largely learned that big three way fights lead absolutely nowhere and are garbage gameplay unless at certain bases, like Nasons. Population dropped not long after launch, with server merges coming not long after that. The pop from last year ~covid to this year has been the highest average it's been since launch. I can tell you aren't really following this simple logic, so let me spell it out to you: whatever they did at launch wasn't good, what they are doing now isn't amazing, but it's better than before.

-But he said ambushers are everywhere and are such a cancer to the game? Isn't he right? (Spoiler, no, he isn't).

-Chances are it's your settings for crashes. Either way, the game isn't 'constantly crashing', like the nerd said.

-Complaining about skill, in an FPS game, loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. Let me know how that skill works out for you, as some 30 iq HESH rat sits on a hill and presses mouse 1 into a door; there are plenty of braindead mechanics to choose from, that require a tiny fraction of the skill it takes to be solely non-cheese infantry.

-Some ramblings about air, not realizing how absolutely busted A2G was at launch. And no, they weren't avoidable, just like HESH wasn't avoidable. The splash range and damage was insane.

-Some more ramblings about CS:GO and aks and knives? For the last point, knives weren't nerfed, they've been buffed you moron. Not only that, but they gave everyone 1 hit kill knives aswell, and infinite ammo, large projectile, ama knife. Jesus, there is even a knife that can deal damage to armour. https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Melee_Weapons

Not even going to go further. Live in your delusions if you want, PS2 was only 'good' at launch because everyone sucked balls. If they were to revert every single change, you would get stomped on even harder than today. BET.