Thinking about coming back to the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nehlis, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Nehlis

Title. It's been about a year and I'm thinking about returning since my daily schedule changed. How is the player population doing and what's the latest cancer complaint? I want to get my friends to try the game too but they're pretty stubborn.
  2. C4Cypher

Infil and LA just got a primary crossbow that has hilariously overpowered attachments. We're talking perfect hipfire AOE bolts that kill an HA in two body shots.
    • Up x 7
  3. JustGotSuspended

LOL

think again
  4. JustGotSuspended

don't forget the 10m incendiary radius.

oh well, it should be patched on Wednesday wrel said in a discord. I think they're gonna remove 5 rounds but double the rate of fire and triple the splash radius to compensate.

Also someone brought up the fact that in the past weapons that were not nearly as broken as this were nerfed almost immediately or didn't even make it past pts. Interesting we gotta deal with this one for a week.
  5. OgreMarkX

Don't. Wrel is busy giving his favorite Youtube classes of choice weapons that ruin gameplay.
    • Up x 5
  6. BlackFox

Reconsider. Not only is it mostly "cheesing the META" nowadays (Instant spawncamping, Infiltrators everywhere and the new crossbow), but also hacker flooded after the new NSO overhaul update. They got less, but occasionally one makes it to the game (and I don't mean aimbot suspicion - there are people with flying maxes and wall hacks or Battle rifle wielding script kiddies that can kill a whole team within seconds)
    • Up x 1
  7. RabidIBM

Ok guys, let's not turn this into the "Kill Planetside by driving players away" forum. That's Wrel's job.

Welcome back, it is still a very community driven game. If you want to convince friends to play you'll have to know what they look for in a game, find people who play that, and get your friends into the platoon. The player population is ok during prime time, but not good off hours. They recently made Koltyr the low population continent, and that was the primary source of complaining for like 3 days, then Wrel dropped an idiotic crossbow on our heads and nobody has energy to complain about Koltyr anymore. This piece of hand held cancer fires with almost ADS accuracy while hip firing while jump jetting, has splash damage, and kills players with 2 shots from splash.
    • Up x 3
  8. Amador

I'll try to explain this in simpler terms...

There was recently a new update revolving around the Halloween theme. It introduced a new weapon called the "Heavy Crossbow" which is far more effective than it should have been. Not only were they were crazy enough to give it high-damage exploding arrows, but they also gave it to Light Assault and forgot about the drifter jet pack.

Most of the seasoned PS2 players have a serious Crossbowner on right now for it, and its dreadful for anyone who plays a class that can't use it. Which will make new or returning players severely frustrated or overwhelmed. By no means is the current time ideal for a smooth start.

It has already been expressed that the issues will be fixed, but they are not coming fast enough. Every day that passes in this current state causes further damage to the image of Planetside 2.

Sorry to say, but Planetside 2 really screwed themselves for "first impressions" for new or returning players with the most recent update.

It is ironic that the PS2 developers spent so much time creating a "New Player Experience" feature, introduced a brand new Halloween-themed update which brought a great deal of players back for the weekend (Emerald server had 2 full continents and a 3rd open), and they release a Heavy Crossbow with explosive bolts that basically 2-shots all players. And this would have likely been avoided with a single public test server.

Did I mention that they screwed up the damage resistance values for it? Flak Armor and Ordnance Dampener literally does nothing to mitigate its effects.

I recommend coming back sometime next week to check to see if the game has been patched. And if the Crossbow issue is resolved, you should have a more appropriate and enjoyable reintroduction to Planetside 2.

Thankfully I returned to PS2 1-2 weeks earlier. I'm glad I never had to endure this at the start. A complete and utter disaster, all because of one blatantly obvious broken weapon.
    • Up x 7
  9. conecall

i find everyone just keeps complaining cause they cant keep up xd

a week ago everyone cried zergs the instant they started to lose a fight rather than trying

3 days ago everyone started crying about the crossbow the instant they started to lose a fight rather than taking 2 seconds to concider they might wanna not stand next RIGHT NEXT peaking half their arm out the doorway doing whatever they do for 5-10 seconds and then die, not to the crossbow, but rather smashing their keyboards into the table over and over instead of just pressing s for 0.5 second and be safe and rdy to fight again xd

tho koltyr is major pain in the *** with every fun vehicle being removed so now theres just unkillable sundie convoys slowly driving all over the map wrecking anything their way - gotta bring like 10 lightnings to kill 3 sundies, and even then ur probably just left with 2-3 lightnings and they spawn new sundies xd (its fun to sundie tho :D
  10. InexoraVC

welcome back if you want to die 24/7 of one weapon. Heavy crossbow is waiting for you!
  11. FLHuk

It's worth playing for an hour or two in this current state. Just as an exercise in what can happen. It's hilarious where we are right now.

• Trying to get out of a spawn, hilarious.
    • Trying to get to a CP, hilarious.
    • Trying to stay on a CP, hilarious.
    • Trying to work a doorway, hilarious.
    • Trying to do most anything under a tree, hilarious.
    • Trying to mitigate damage after that first hit, futile.
    • Trying not to say out loud "That f***ing thing!" also pretty futile.
    Soooo many more....
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

i've played since 2013 and we've seen some pretty terrible times over the years.
    Striker's 'Reign of Terror' was pretty gruesome, as was ZoE's rampage.
    but i can honestly say the game has never been as utterly cancerous as it is right now.

if you want to try coming back wait until atleast wednesday
    (because apparently it takes wrel a freaking week to nerf the abomination-bow)

unless everyone flying around with 2-shot-kill, no reload, explosive sniper rifles
    with pinpoint accurate hipfire sounds fun to you, just stay away.
    • Up x 5
  13. JustGotSuspended

^^^^

I remember those days. Also the vulcan, when it was so good people would pull prowlers just to hop in the vulcan. It's safe to say I would gladly return to those days now that I've seen the game's current state. Nothing back then seems as remotely broken as now.

Infils, a2g, harassers, cloak vehicles, outfit assets, nanoweave nerf endless bugs that have never been fixed - the wrelbow is just another bit of cancer that's a bit more blatantly broken - perhaps because we haven't gotten used to it.

We could go one forever with the list of issues with this game, and unfortunately most will likely never get solved. The game is pretty much nothing like it was back in 2012. If you log in expecting it to be as fun as before; think again. Otherwise if you want to discover how bad a game can get, go ahead and play for a bit, it's free anyways.
    • Up x 1
  14. Amador

Funny to think that if I were playing World of Warcraft with a company as cancerous as Activision/Blizzard, even they would have worked to hotfix this problem the same day or within the next few days.

No idea how Planetside 2 doesn't get hotfixed.

It's almost like it was an intentional business decision all along. But this is the kind of thing that ends up killing off games.
    • Up x 4
  15. melioa

i wish we could go back to Planetside 2 2012....yes, the game was still messed up then....but it was fun and far better than the state it is now.
    and long before Papa Vanu Wrel became a Dev and screwed the game up to the state it is in now. as we are all forced into playing the game his way or play style.....sorry, but we liked playing the game in our own styles, we do not want to play the game how you play it Wrel, or believe it should be played. we never wanted rpg in the game, we was happy the way it was back in 2012 (yes it had its issues, i know) when i want to play an rpg, i will load up GuildWars2 (that is a good game) but so is planetside 2 ....or it used to be until the Wrel times. this is meant to be a damn MMOFPS not an MMORPGFPS!
    • Up x 2
  16. csvfr

Personally I'm on a 5-months+ break from the game. Considered coming back after a few weeks off but the servers were down for patching. Since then I've reformatted and when having nothing to play during the summer, I rather went back to CS:GO and single player games seeing the cheater pandemic that was/is still happening. In a few days far cry 6 will release so would consider that first. Especially if you don't just play prime time, why restrict yourself to Koltyr?

When I was still playing I often played during off peak hours, and would always take a break when the game restricted me to staying at the same center base for 1H. It simply becomes to monotone, although high-skill LA play is fun for 30 minutes of those.
  17. Zhakathoom

Just run.
    Don't look back.
    Nuke it from orbit.
    **** while you can.
    Getting into this game is like willingly contracting an affliction that leads to never-ending amounts of frustration, depression, dread, lack of faith in humanity, loss of will to live and so on and so on..
    It's like being married to someone who hates you and makes your life miserable at every possible opportunity.
    • Up x 1
  18. Peebuddy

If you're a vehicle main, then yea come back. Vehicle combat's still hella fun, we're talking battle of Kursk number of tanks on the battlefield because everyone's trying to escape crossbowside hell.
    • Up x 1
  19. BlackFox

And bring a friend, the best tanks are Harassers
  20. Liewec123

"Hey there folks Wrel here"
    ;)