Battleeye now or will soon support Linux, but needs dev opt-in

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flamewires, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Flamewires

https://www.pcgamer.com/battleye-anti-cheat-confirms-steam-deck-support/

Apparently support is opt-in. PS2 is one of a very small handful of games that can not be played on Linux due to their anti-cheat. Seems EAC and now battleeye are fixing this, mostly to support the upcoming steam deck, but need developer opt in. Posting to bring awareness and show there are folks that want this, hopefully with the heavy lifting done by battleeye it should be a small ask to opt in.
    • Up x 7
  2. Nighda Venesis

I really want PS2 on linux. This game is the only reason I haven't switched over yet. Windows is a surveillance and ux mess.
  3. JustGotSuspended

just download a regular OS and play like everyone else lol.

Acting like linux is so much better because it saves 0.00000000000000000000000000000001s of boot-up time. It's not more efficient, you gotta download 30 different workarounds to even complete basic tasks :D It's just weird lmao.

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1585-PlanetSide_2.html

That said I do believe there's workarounds, although there's conflicting statements between whether you can play the game normally or whether battleye boots you in a couple minutes.

I'm not installing Linux to find out.
  4. ican'taim

What? that literally never happens, have you tried using something like Linux Mint?

LMAO, then stay out of it. We aren't the ones getting a new pc just for an unholy abomination of ChromeOS and macOS.
  5. JustGotSuspended

????????

What does getting a new rig have to do with installing a proper OS?

Are you saying you use Linux so you can keep playing on your turing machine without having to upgrade to 21st century tech?

Idk dude, that doesn't seem like something to be proud of, and it's disadvantageous to even try to game on top of that. Running on linux just adds an extra layer of complexity.

Quit complaining about regular stuff not working for you when you willingly choose to be part of the 5%. You may wanna invest in a new rig for gaming instead of getting ********!
  6. ican'taim

Nice assumption, but no cigar. I'm talking about Windows 11 and the whole developing ****storm surrounding it. I currently use Win10 myself at the moment (with a PC built last year with fairly good parts), but I plan to switch to Mint once Proton gets Battleye compatibility at the end of the year.

Might want to get off of your "proper OS" ******** you're smoking.
  7. Flamewires

Hey man, I'm not looking to turn anything into a debate. I never suggested any OS was better. Obviously different tools and features work best for different folks.

Just making my voice heard that I would like to be able to play PS2 on the OS that works best for me, especially since it seems that there will be a very low level of effort, and therefore it should not detract from other dev time.

There are currently no workarounds due to the current BattleEye implementation. A couple years ago some folks got it working, but then BE changed their stuff, and either intentionally or unintentionally again broke functionality. Now with valve putting some pressure on BE to support Proton/Wine, and it looks like it will be happening, I'm just trying to close that loop and get the developer buy in so I can again play PS2.

Cheers.
  8. DeerainX

I for one am waiting for this.

Regular OS..... Linux is a regular OS just because you like Windows dosnt mean everyone does we have our reasons, you have yours. Be happy with your choice this post was to bring the attention to the devs that some people want to run Planetside on Linux and hopefully isnt hard for them to enable.
  9. Valkyrion

Also keen for this support. Planetside is currently the only reason I ever boot into windows, and I would love to get rid of Microsoft for good. While I will continue to play the game, I will not be refilling my recently depleted DBC balance until I can play on my preferred OS. I realize that we are a minority, but with Wine/Proton doing the heavy lifting for Linux playability, and with BE enabling Linux support for their service (which, let’s face it, isn’t preventing cheating/hacking at all), I see little cost to DBG to let us play on Linux.
  10. brutes359

Wait...your telling me that this game actually HAS anti cheat software? huh.....well it must not work vary well then.
    • Up x 1
  11. Maxolhx

Please enable Linux support. It’s the only thing keeping me on Windows.
  12. Valkyrion

It works, but I’m not sure if it’s intentional. (Theoretically, battleye won’t let a game run through proton without an email from the developer opting in, but I would like confirmation from DBG). The launcher is currently problematic, but the game itself performs better for me in Linux than in windows.

Some people on ProtonDB report that they were able to log in to the launcher using either GloriousEggroll or Proton 6.3-7, but you need to be running Proton Experimental for the game to launch, and that particular version turns the entire launcher white. I ended up copying my cookies database from my windows install to my Linux install to log in, as I couldn’t get the launcher to come up without Proton Experimental. (Note, you also need the BattleEye Proton Runtime installed from the tools section of your steam library).
  13. Flamewires

Yep! I just saw this today and played for an hour or so on arch. Awesome!

I read protondb and noted someone had some issues with the launcher, and offered a solution. I am running a nvidia GPU and someone suggested the fix was to run with this --disable-gpu flag, also was suggested to cap fps for performance so my Launch Options in steam are:
    and im using Proton 6.3-8.

(Also installed the battl eye runtime from steam)

Worked with no issues. Cheers!