Koltyr: Good idea, lacking execution

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Sep 22, 2021.

1. RabidIBM

I and others had advocated that Koltyr be used as a low population continent, and that got added to today's hot fix. I'm glad to see it, it makes it easy to find a good fight, doesn't leave vast swaths of territory open yet useless and eliminates the risk of a good battle getting cut off by 1-12 pushing the pretzel lane.

Here's the problem: It got implemented EXACTLY as is, in it's "noob continent" mode. Most of the vehicles are unavailable, most of the modules can't be installed and the territories aren't worth outfit resource. My outfit did capture a base on Koltyr, but get no armoury reward for it, and the tank battles are all lightnings. I'm not at a disadvantage, as all the enemy tanks are lightnings too, but that's a boring fight. As much as faction specific equipment always results in balance complaints, everyone having the same tank is boring. Also, the secondary gunner is a great place to put the new player I see running around on the map. It's a great way for new players to get a taste of vehicle combat without having to know the play well enough to know when to back off. They can just shoot targets and have fun. This is not possible with the lightning.

Conclusion: Good idea on Koltyr, but please finish the job. Unlock all the content.
    • Up x 5
  2. Pandora's Lunchbox

Definitely should be brought up to scratch with other continents. If they bring it to the table for 'proper play' then it should have the qualities and features expected of that 'proper play.' Besides, if it proves to be too much then they can gradually tweak things as it goes. Doesn't have to be the be-all-end-all.

And, actually, if Koltyr as an alert continent works out in the long-run, I'd like to see perhaps some smaller versions of the existing continents to spice things up a bit for off-peak, even if those versions are just cut-outs of what we currently have in some way.
    • Up x 1
  3. YellowJacketXV

Have you considered the following that Koltyr lacks MBT and Lib simply because the map is so small an accurate Prowler or other MBT would be able to run laps around the continent without much issue? Especially since it's low population mode? During times where a majority of the server is asleep or gone?

I don't even wanna think about what would happen if one or two libs were palling around in Koltyr. I guess that would be a ton of farm for the lib crews.
    • Up x 5
  4. RabidIBM

Except that it would be obvious where the libs were going to hit, so there would be AA. One of the major strengths of air is the ability to decide that one fight is no longer favorable and go to another fight. They don't have this strength on Koltyr.
    An MBT would be just as subject to the ebbs and flows of the front on Koltyr as any other continent.
    • Up x 1
  5. Drgnx

allow bastions, colossus, orbitals too
  6. FLHuk

Allow flying maxes as well!
  7. Wolfmachine

If you are someone that has put a lot of time (and/or money) into your mbt, esf, ant, construction and this is why you log in to play, forgot about it with only Koltyr open. Giving people less reasons to log on is Koltyr in a nutshell. I understand the intent, but it's poorly executed as is.
    • Up x 1
  8. RabidIBM

I'm in exactly this boat. I main builder and secondary as MBT. The Lightning can keep me entertained for a little while, but that's it. After that I'm probably logging out, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Because of this Koltyr stays open longer than it would have had it not repelled such players. On one of the other Koltyr threads the OP has an attitude that "People who play differently than me shouldn't be allowed to play". They already tried catering to such people in Planetside Arena and we saw the results. Without different people with different preferences and play styles we wouldn't have Planetside.

Again, I was one of the people who advocated for Koltyr, but it didn't occur to me to specify "and don't disable half the game's content while we're there".
    • Up x 1