Is there going to be a Dervish A.I. Nose cannon for our Dervishs any time in the future?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Exileant, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Exileant

:( Or is what we have going to be what we will have to deal with? ;) It would be nice if we could get a lower fire rate higher damage CAS-14 with a slightly smaller Magazine, if so.
  2. Xervous

IIRC the intent with the Dervish was to make an air superiority fighter that didn't just add to all the A2G spam, and you want to add A2G spam?
    • Up x 1
  3. YellowJacketXV

I thought the point was to encourage teamwork and social play.
    Which is kinda sad to show that people think NSO options are the worst simply because they capitalize the highest on teamwork...
  4. blackboemmel

This sounds for me like the point of view of a wise man. The title of the update said a lot, but was never really understood: "Integration". Imagine the devs (or let's call them "Wrel") had in mind to stop players from "hating" eachother when maining different factions. By letting them play together with vehicles that capitalize the highest on teamwork.

Everybody still waits for an extra gimmick on the Chimera, because it's outperformed by all ES MBTs... - as long as you don't run it with it's full potential. No ES MBT can beat a fully manned Chimera in a 1vs1. But how often have you seen fully manned Chimeras so far? ;)
    • Up x 1
  5. YellowJacketXV

I still don't see how anything beats even just your average 1v1 with the Chimera's Big Daddy Viper Cannon and "Halberd at Home". But yeah...It honestly makes me super sad to see elements designed to incentivize teamwork being so horribly underused.
  6. Demigan

While division of labor is a type of teamwork it is not really a good type to pick for games. Its in the name, "division", it segregates players and basically asks one player to make itself obsolete to function. No air means air superiority achieved and then you are useless. G2A has the same problem.

What about teamwork through cooperation instead of division of labor? One unit can achieve a certain goal, but another unit type can make that goal go smoother.
    To make it complete it has to be a mutual cooperation. A Medic has a one-sided cooperation as the Medic sacrifices his time and firepower to help you back up but aside from "we all point a gun in the same direction" there is little cooperation back to the Medic.

An example using the Dervish (not necessarily a balanced one):
    A ground unit can target an enemy aircraft and use a weapon/tool to nerf its flight capabilities, making it an easier target for the Dervish. Once complete the Dervish has a weapon/tool it can use to support the very ground unit at its task, like marking a tank and nerfing it to make it an easier target.

Mutual cooperation, no one should ever be useless or waiting around before they become useful again. You should always be able to do something.
    When two players meet, they should always have some idea of how to cooperate with one another.
  7. Exileant

;) Indeed. But that is to be expected with anything new, and then you also have Bias that runs YEARS deep. I have been Pro N.S.O. because I see all of their potential and have had the blessing to be a part of a few Squads that truly know how to make use of me in all of my wonder.

With that said; to me an air to ground cannon on the Dervish would do just that, encourage teamwork. As it stands a Dervish will still need its gunner to watch its back when it comes to sneak attacks and the most vulnerable Dervish is a Stationary Dervish. So why not? Considering they are basically Parasols, and they have to be DEAD sure they can kill whatever A.A. target they have to stop and strafe; an A.G. infantry Cannon is not going to stop that truth. However it will boost its battle potential as a means of self-defense against infantry that would otherwise flee the vehicle and return fire, which is where I am getting a lot of complaints as to why the ship is not as good as it could be. It can remain air dominant, (the best set-up I can think of is still a Liberator and Anti-Fighter/E.S.F. specific unit), without giving up its ability to attack infantry.

o_O Our fighter is heavier, it should act like a heavy fighter. We are the F-14 of Araxis. F-14's had insane air to air capabilities, but it was also a ground pounder. Besides, everyone here is saying it is too weak as is, so beef it up and let her eat. If you want to maintain the Air to Air quality, give the Nose cannon a Dingo. :) That way, it CAN be used on troops, but it is meant for air and would Truly Support the XAT.

:eek: As a specialty, I would like to see something truly unique to match its look. Equipment scrambler. Where a pulse from the craft randomly forces the nose of the aircraft away from the Dervish and randomly reassigns the enemy unit's (Air and ground) within range controls for a few seconds. This would give the Dervish a bit of time to mount an assault, or far smarter, time to gain vital distance and if they are being low altitude dogged, might even cause its pursuers to wreck or crash unless they let go of the controls and disengage.
  8. JibbaJabba

This.
  9. Exileant

:confused: Yes. Because A.G. is not that big of a deal, At all. :( People are acting like infantry is helpless against Air. It is not. Between with Dual Bursters and H.A. with Homing Rockets, and if you are T.R. SPAM rockets, Multitudes of L.A. with Rocket Rifles and the fact that E.S.F.s are vulnerable to standard fire.... Given they THEN can simply crawl into the nearest vehicle and blast away, A.G. does not have a spam, unless the group AS A WHOLE is stupid enough to simply ignore it. :p Hahaha! I am not and do not even though the teams I am on normally do JUST THAT then want to cry A.G. is too powerful... Because of this I am usually the only one left to reap the benefits of A.A. duty and I drop planes like loose change while trying to wave down a friend with your hands full... o_O In droves and often by accident.

This will actually encourage bad play decisions when it comes to a Dervish because they are so wide and hard to pitch. (As I have said: "A stopped Dervish is usually a Dead Dervish.") Unlike a fighter, it is not going "Nose up and After-burn (or in reverse)" in 0.5 the second it is attacked... ;) It is going to have to take at least 1.0 to even 2.0 in order to be able to hit the gas, or it will run into the ground. And also unlike the standard E.S.F. you can FORGET about reversing the order unless you are REEEEEEEEEEALLY high in the air... This is no free lunch. People will have to gain some skill to have a chance at some of that Ground Candy.
  10. Liewec123

the thing is though, NSO is primarily the faction for lone wolves, you log on your NSO and jump on any random faction.
    they aren't really designed for people who want to play with their buddies.

so to make NSOs ESF the only ESF that requires multiple people to be effective is pretty hilarious.

as a lone wolf type player i've been maining NSO pretty much since they were released,
    and i still haven't bothered using dervish, because its just so utterly useless for a solo player,
    as far as i'm concerned NSO still don't have an ESF.
    • Up x 1
  11. Botji

So whats wrong with the DV-XE?

Any infantry you point it at evaporate as long as you can aim it and it has surprisingly high AoE damage for such a pin point weapon so even just one actual hit its often enough to get a kill with two bursts.

If you fly it like a smaller Liberator its fairly decent even solo, scary front gun and scary big gun at close range or when running away.
    With Drift frame you can boost away from a target, start a Yaw turn and even start a reload before switching to the XAT turret to pop 2 shots at your enemy before switching back to the pilot seat and you have then turned ~180 degrees facing them again with a reloaded nosegun.

Its definitely much better with +1 and takes some getting used to but yeah, smaller Liberator that you can pull from a player base.
  12. JibbaJabba

This is pretty spot on.

What I wanted: A fast alternative to the Valkyrie to cheaply pull so I can put a beacon somewhere. OR an effective A2A solo weapon to blot the occasional A2G nuisance.
    What I got: An ESF that's useless unless you have two people. It's also useless as a beacon placer as it's easy to spot and shoot down, especially solo.

What I absolutely don't want is more A2G ****. The A2G game is never getting fixed. It will always be **** played by **** players who are either too scared to come to the ground to face their opponents, or just want to take advantage of a particularly sore spot in the game balance to take a **** on sportsmanship.
    • Up x 1
  13. Exileant

:confused: From what I could see the XAT-Minigun has no explosive damage and while it does lightly spray, it is does not work very well as am Anti infantry weapon to me, but as I have not dedicated much time to using it as such because I mainly focused on using it as an A.V. weapon... :D Of which it is TERRIBLE. o_O So I will definitely take this to heart and give it a week or two to speak to me. ;) Thank you for the tip.

:DExactly right. It is a nightmare for Bastions....

o_O Now see? THIS is what I am talking about. These are the tactics this thing excels with. :p I call that the "Spinning Plate." "Sit 'N Spin" Works too. (I remember having one as a child... If it mine had high powered Cannons and could fly....). It also works with Pixie, God bless it's drift time.... I have managed to rip off 4 with but a touch of up thrust. While I prefer Hover so I can adjust my altitude in a hurry against Liberators in the unfortunate event they catch me off or E.S.F.'s try to Orbit; and the prior mentioned made possible by it, I am going to practice a bit more with Drifter as well with the Xinigun. ;) Perhaps that is the secret to your success with it.

Kindly explain something for me. :confused: What is meant by Momentum Conversion? What is it being converted to?
  14. Exileant

o_O In a way N.S.O. kind of is designed to play with your buddies. This is how I do it. So, I have one person I am training full time. This person has all 3 main Factions. So any time we play, I log on first and they join which ever team I wind up on. The same goes for my High level friends. o_O They are at home on any of their characters, so it makes no difference to them which they earn Certs on that day session. In fact it helps stir the pot and keeps them from felling like they are in a Rut with just one Faction.

:confused: If you are N.S.O. you have to be the leader of your crew. Makes sense because you are supposed to be High level AS a bot. You simply have to make High-Level HUMAN friends. ;) Bots are the Queens of the Hive.

:D Lastly, Dervish is very good solo, you just have to practice with it. And learn to keep your distance. Scroll up.
  15. Exileant

:confused: I found the problem... Just that fast.... You were right, Bot. My issue was Drifter though. I cannot use Drifter with it yet, like.... at ALL. Once I took it off though.......?

o_O The Dervish is perfect. :eek: PERFECT. Ya learn something every day. See this right here is a perfect example of when you THINK something might need a Nerf or a Buff, it is likely just YOU not doing it right. :confused: If it can happen to me, it can happen to you, people.

:D If you were a P.S.N. user, I would have gifted you a 10 for that little game changer. Thanks again!
  16. Botji

Yeah Drifter definitely takes some getting used to, not easy to use at all but everything it enhances is super good for the Dervish.
    Faster Yaw turn means you can keep up with evading/orbiting ESF easier, the above mentioned manoeuvre of boosting away and turning while you sit in the turret also doesnt really work with anything else as you lose so much altitude because you dont turn fast enough and just the momentum thing making you slide/drift around is great for evasion.

The "Momentum Conservation" is what makes the Drift frame slide around, your direction does not change right away when you turn so you can fly in one direction and start turning into another direction and your original forward speed and momentum keeps you moving forward a while before your new direction takes over. Its like in some space games where if you speed forward and then stop thrusters you keep flying forward even if you turn around. Its like that but toned down a lot so any new direction you choose to fly in kicks in faster.

Its mostly because of how the Drifter works that im convinced its what skilled Dervish pilots will use when they get used to it, it allows you to do stuff that most other aircraft cant do on top of the performance perks it has being really good turning the often slow, sluggish and stationary Dervish into a crazy mobile target.
    • Up x 1
  17. Liewec123

as a solo player its not really anything close to solo lib,
    solo lib is tanky as heck and has the firepower to merit its big size.

its got the paper healthpool of an ESF with a hitbox approaching that of a lib,
    and for firepower as a solo player it is waaaay behind standard ESFs.

its like worst of everything, big size, low health, less firepower than an ESF, slow clunky maneuvering and god-awful janky aiming.
  18. Botji

"If you fly it like a smaller Liberator its fairly decent even solo"

Perhaps dont skip to the end next time so you dont have to talk about something completely unrelated to what the person you quoted said?

Anyway... I guess im like the best pilot in the game because unless im being ganged up on or fighting someone that clearly grew up in their ESF I do quite good with my solo Dervish.
  19. Liewec123

how is it unrelated? you said its like a smaller liberator and i responded to that point,
    because no, it is nothing like a lib, not even close.

the only things it has similar to a lib are unwieldy and predictable manoeuvrability and a huge hit box making it easy to hit.
    it has ESF health without the firepower.

its difficult to steer, impossible to aim (the nosegun) has a huge hitbox, low health and less damage than a standard ESF (when used solo)

but by all means we'd all love to see a video of you doing so well with it!

i see you're on Cobalt like me, and i've never looked up in the skies and seen a pancake doing anything other than dying.
  20. Exileant

o_O It depends on what you are facing. Against an E.S.F, that has spotted you, it is a little uphill. However against a Liberator? I brought down 2 solo Liberators last night with ease. It has a more firepower than an E.S.F. it just cannot bring it to bare against a faster target. A Liberator cannot beat this thing unless it is well over it, or under it while being close or inverted in order to take advantage of its size. ;) At a Distance the XE travels fast so you can sniper them a great bit well before they know you are their, and even then, by the time see where you are, they then have to close the distance and PRAY they can fly over you while you are flat to have a chance at a hit. Liberators have to jump between 3 seats. Dervish? 2. That equals a much faster response time.

It really is like a Liberator in the fact that you can bring to bear 2 large caliber weapons while being Airborne. To me the aiming is far and away smother than the Liberators and I think that has quit a bit to do with the very low mobility. In the passenger seat I do not have to worry about the Pilot snatching my target away from me because they think they are in the middle of a Top Gun Remake.... :D I get off my rounds before they have time to finish their School Bus evasion maneuvers because the movements are gradual. Liberators often turn and run because their only real hope is if they can get you to press them so they can exploit you into getting Dal's or, if you are too smart to fall for it, get you with that Tail Gun.... To a Dervish they may as well be Skywhales. Hahaha!

o_O Now I will tell you what the Dervish's MAIN enemy is.... A freaking Skylance..... That is a horrible...... HORRIBLE sight... A HORRIBLE Feeling..... It felt like speed did not help. The ONLY thing that does is distance, and the ability to climb and decent FAST while looking at one....