NPE Update Crashes Due to Certain Resolutions

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by CharismaVN, Sep 15, 2021.

1. CharismaVN

When loading into the game using native resolution (5120x1440), the game crashes after the loading screen.

If I set the resolution to Windowed 1920x1080, I can get to the Character Select screen after the loading screen. Changing the resolution to native 5120x1440 WindowedFullscreen at the Character Select screen will result in immediate crash. However, if I select a character and load into a continent and then switch to native resolutions, the game does NOT crash.

I believe it is something with the Character Select screen that is causing the crash.
    • Up x 4
  2. Deciet01

I can confirm this is the issue. Running a triple monitor 5760x1080 setup. If I do as OP suggests I can get into the game no problem then change the resolution back up to native.
  3. A-T-L

Having this problem too.

How do I change the Resolution out of game?
  4. A-T-L

nm i figured it out
  5. Mithril Community Manager

The team has been made aware of this issue at this screen. In the meantime can you try a different resolution to get past the screen, then once in game see if changing it back will work as you play.
    • Up x 2
  6. Deciet01

Thanks Mithril!
  7. Cooljw1

How did you do it? I can't figure out how to change resolution on my end and make it work, I tried GeForce Experience but that doesn't work.
    • Up x 1
  8. CharismaVN

You can change the game resolution in the UserOptions.ini in the Planetside 2 folder. After making changes, I recommend making the file read-only. That way, you would only need to change the resolution once when you load onto a map and will revert back after you exit the game.
    • Up x 2
  9. AntDX316

I tried deleting the folder completely and redownloading, this was after verifying for files in Planetside 2 then on Steam. A lot of people might just give up. Can't believe this was allowed to pass through w/o doing a resolution test.
    • Up x 1
  10. AntDX316

The game needs a way for people to select resolution at the launchpad before clicking PLAY and ability to go into safe mode w/ everything that works. There should also be warning logs and error codes at least. Not the game crashing into nothing lmao. There are a million other things to try and troubleshoot that aren't even the problem. 100% should have an error code for all crashes.
    • Up x 1
  11. Whattheheck

This is still happening to me. FIX THIS!
    • Up x 1
  12. Jouixs

Trying different resolution to get past the screen dosent fix anything
    Plz fix this
  13. Zethen

Glad to see there is already a post about this issue. Surprised me last night when I went to go check out the new update. Running on a Samsung Odyssey G9 at 5120x1440 with a 1080ti.

Completely fresh install on new drive: fail
    fresh UserOptions.ini: fail
    Update to latest nvidia drivers: fail
    reset nvidia settings to default from the nvidia control panel: fail
    Set game to windowed mode from UserOptions.ini prior to launch: fail
    Disable HDR through windows: fail
    Lower resolution to 3840*1080: success

So upon stumbling on success I did some testing and got some pretty hilariously specific results.
    5120*1400: fail
    5120*1080: fail
    5100*1440: fail
    4200*1440: fail
    4120*1440: fail
    4105*1440: fail
    4104*1440: fail
    4104*1080: fail
    4103*1440: success

In conclusion it seems that launching the game with a horizontal resolution >4103 produces a C2D. I'm very amused that it's some seemingly arbitrary odd number.

I have all the logs from throughout the process saved if those would be of any help, Hopefully the magic number of 4104 gets us closer to a fix somehow.

For those still having issues you can configure the resolution manually through the UserOptions.ini file located in the base directory of planetside 2 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2) by default. Granted in my case simply changing the resolution through the nvidia control panel worked for me but if you're still having issues try lowering your resolution to 4103 or lower and possibly change Fullscreen to Windowed.
    • Up x 2
  14. Whattheheck

Still happening. Oh and it crashes at the resolution the before poster says works. Update I went native resolution and alt enter to get out of full screen which then allowed me in. Then I went full screen while remaining at native resolution 1920 by 1080, and its still working. Nothing makes sense.
  15. AntDX316

I set the proper settings at 1920 1080 on 4 areas then put read-only on the notepad. Make me launch then I adjust the resolution after. : )

If you try to change settings while read-only it won't save.
  16. Whattheheck

Ya, we shouldn't be having to go through any of this so don't get comfortable
  17. AntDX316

The read-only was great. Every time my game crashed before, sometimes the settings would revert way back having me change them again.
  18. Whattheheck

Still getting a resolution bug crash at character screen. Still daybreak refuses to fix this. Still I have to Alt-Enter during loading screen so it doesn't crash. Daybreak is making too much money. They now care about themselves more than their own customers. They reported they are looking at the problem, but they clearly don't care.
  19. Lewnacy

My GPU is peaking out at 100% even at the character screen since the update a few weeks ago. I tried another graphics card and it's doing the same thing. I wonder if they are related.