[Suggestion] Scoreboard system discourages team work.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SgtEngineer, Jul 19, 2021.

1. SgtEngineer

As an example, Today I parked a cloaked Sundy outside Tech plant. Waited for the squad to capture last point.
    Captured the point, Disabled all AA turrets by hacking them and vehicle terminals and yet one person got a kill and instant was on the scoreboard and I was below them.

If I am medic and reviving my allies, or engineer and supplying ammo or repairing vehicles your punished for it.
    You cannot earn any score from these things which are all team based things.
    Why go Medic and revive when you can just get a kill as Heavy, doesn't matter my team can't push barely 20m without a medic to keep the line moving because you won't earn faction resources by being a team player.

This to me discourages team play. It makes any effort you put in feel worthless for gaining something out of it.
    If someone wants to earn the Colossus then they ether have to get lucky with a ghost cap, Block the road so no ally vehicles can assist in the capture, C4 vehicles or get kills if you have bad aim.

My aim is terrible I'm a support role but even if you play as engineer doing engineer things it means nothing when it comes to constructing the colossus.

Also the experience you earn from revives, resupply, squad spawns, sundy spawns, radar assist, terminal hacking all those things you earn exp because you have done something to support your team so why doesn't it get recognized on the scoreboard?

I remember when people literally were unable to earn anymore repair exp because they had repaired so many vehicles, again its a punishment but there is no punishment on killing enemies?

Seems biased in how to play the game and also limiting for both a step towards a more friendly community and for more diversity in gaming. People push themselves when they get rewarded for something. I have over 4000 Certs that I can't really do anything with now and level doesn't really mean anything now I am ASP

I've had to spend hours capping a base because as NC BHO almost always have max resources and so many members but rarely ever use a Colossus and so little players get to use one. It feels like Outfits literally have to fight each other for resources and you can only earn it if your specifically good at killing not supporting.
    • Up x 2
  2. RabidIBM

Yup, this has been observed, and doesn't seem to be a priority. The system was designed by a light assault main who's priority when playing was to make highlight reel material for his YouTube channel. It's designed to reward and ignore exactly what you would expect when viewed through this lens.
    • Up x 6
  3. JustGotSuspended

Yeah I pointed this out a while back when the changes were made.

Its stupid to classify such a large portion of gameplay as "easily farmable xp" and stop counting any of it towards the leaderboard. Anything in this game can be farmed, and if you think it's easier to farm draw fire ribbons than infantry with a banshee, idk what to say. Instead they should add a system of points, not entirely based on xp. For example, they could make kills count as 2 points, gen overloads count as 2 points, and then make 100xp of a certain source convert to 1 point.

So if I'm at a fight and I c4 a prowler with one person inside, I would get 4 points (2 for the driver, 2 for the vehicle), then I revive a ton of friendlies which stacks up to 115xp, I would get 1 point, and I'd be missing 85xp to get another. The outfit who's top 10 players have the most points combined cap the base.

If they want to add to that, they could make certain vehicles give more points, etc.

I mean it wouldn't be too hard to include everything, even if you think something is easier to farm or worth less, you can still tune it so it contributes to the fight. I mean no giving the dudes with the sunderer/routers who are literally sustaining the fight any xp towards a cap seems unreasonable.
    • Up x 2
  4. RabidIBM

I like your idea on the top 10 players counting. It prevents zerg fits from completely dominating, but doesn't undermine their ability either. The players past 11th place aren't contributing, but they aren't detrimenting their outfit either.
    • Up x 1
  5. JustGotSuspended

thanks lol but technically it's not my idea, it's already how the system in game works. Takes the score of the top 10 players of an outfit. All I'm suggesting is to turn it to a point based system where everything you do that gives xp contributes to an extent, instead of prevent revives, heals, repairs, etc from counting towards a cap, like the current system does.
    • Up x 1
  6. SgtEngineer

I agree, support roles already have a balanced XP that can only be farmed if you have supported your team a lot.
    Many of the tasks earn far less XP then a kill. That would mean so long as the players killing were being efficent then they would still get the top of the scoreboard, but many people do charge in and suicide themselves to get a kill which is where medics come in and how they could earn there part of the score.

A kill for score is so much easier as well its a straight up large sum of score

To achieve similar for a support they would need to...
    Place ammo on the ground
    Deploy barriers
    Use a radar
    Repair anything nearby

Or medics would need to
    Revive two people
    or
    Use a radar
    have there passive to heal nearby players from the vehicle
    Put down shield regen devices
    Have the ability that heals players under 400hp

And that still probably wouldn't do that much for score over someone dedicating themselves to killing and ignoring support jobs
    Support roles can't even be abused from scaling because the more engineers there are the less likely your to restore someone's ammo or less of there ammo. Less likely your gonna get a revive or repair. It's a self balance that means you only earn score when your actually needed for something.

My current strategy to earn resources is to...
    Use an Ant to cut off entrances both for the enemy and allies.
    Place C4 on 2 Base turrets
    Trigger the shield gen overload
    Use the archers to destroy all terminals
    Then to go around killing any base turrets I can find.

But if I put down a Sundy good chances if there's even 2 players from an outfit in there my chances of owning that region are pretty much lost. Which is why I have to actively use ramps and walls to create barricades preventing even allies entering.
    I wouldn't be as worried if I could be rewarded for my jobs as engineer in repairing and providing ammo.
    • Up x 1
  7. SgtEngineer

Just as an addon I think Ant's collecting cortium should not receive this purely so it cannot be abused. Perhaps a buff instead so if they have deposited cortium for thirty seconds the base gives another reward sort of as a separate thing almost how Sundy drivers get a reward for transport assist if they drive people to a place they can get kills which would last a duration after depositing cortium and then a cooldown before allowing it to be done again. Just something small to reward an active Ant driver if there base is supporting the effort even if just as a distraction. I feel rewarding players for something something well and keep attention is a good incentive to build positive habits and allow them to enjoy the game more. Perhaps a tiny amount of exp if the driver gets a kill during or thirty seconds after collecting cortium. I doubt it would be something overpowered as to use any ability's the driver has to be driving so consuming cortium and fighting would require two people or switching, also if an ant lingers just tapping it every now and then to keep the buff then they are a likely target of C4 or even a new place to put mines that are not in-front of a vehicle terminal, always need more of those. Trying not to leave Ant's out of it while making it so they can't just rack up experience while not near the fight and stealing the base without even being part of it.
  8. JibbaJabba

Back during the first outfit wars there was the most extreme pressure to get base caps for outfits. To be top on that scoreboard.

I would regularly witness a team of people on the point, firing single shots into the air and reloading while someone threw down an ammo pack.

It was utterly ridiculous. I'm getting killed 4:1 fighting people while 3 teammates sit around doing dick.

And guess who "won" the base? The 3 lazy guys.
    They got "guard the point" points even though no enemies came (I was killing them), and various stad padding points.

As broken as the scoreboard is I wouldn't tweak it too much.

It's HARD to pad your kills.
    Easy to pad everything else.

But if it makes you feel better, those trying to get to that top score with kills have their own frustration. It doesn't count unless a point is flipped. I can kill 20 guys keeping them off the point, then once they get in I'll get maybe 4 more kills while pounding my face against their defense. I end up with 4 on the board. /shrug.
  9. Johannes Kaiser

Exactly, especially since as a Medic, how exactly do you "farm" your XP? Heals and revives. Only gives points when an enemy did the damage, though. At which point you are not farming but doing your one job by keeping people in the fight.
    • Up x 1