Javelin handling changes, they're bad.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Liewec123

as someone who's been loving using Javelin since NSO launch i have to say,
    the changes are really bad.

the absolute best thing about Javelin was its mobility,
    and now it cant even move sideways while airborn, it feels so neutered.

it used to be such an incredible tool for getting to great spots and flanking angles
    one example being able to get to the tech plant balcony from outside in seconds.
    [IMG]
    things like that are impossible with this boring nerfed version, it barely hovers over anything anymore.

is it more stable? sure. but once you learn to ride the real javelin, stability isn't an issue.

please DBG, give me my javelin back!
  2. OneShadowWarrior

Welcome to the world of game balancing. Once you enjoy something they change it….
    • Up x 2
  3. Liewec123

yeah, i've enjoyed piloting javelin (despite it being fairly bad for combat) and i was eager for the day
    when it finally received some better weapons, but then when that day came they utterly killed the agility.
    one step forward, two steps back.
  4. BlackFox

I never flew a javelin before this update, but I knda expected the ability to side strafe and use the mouse to turn - simply by how the thing appears
  5. Liewec123

Yep, it used to do that, and still does, but it's lost all of its agility,
    it used to be able to ADAD really fast, strafe while airborn and it's lost a ton of it previous hover power,
    Shortcuts that I used to take like driving at a crate to hover over it and jump a wall just end up with me driving into the crate now.
    It's been completely neutered.

Weapons are nice, but absolutely not worth losing the thing that made javelin useful, it's agility.
    Now it's just a flash with slow strafing.
  6. LordAnnihilator

I feel like the problem with the old Javelin with the new additions is that it would inevitably cause a similar situation to Wraith Flashes, Harassers, and A2G ESFs. Namely, this "surprise buttsecks" playstyle that comes out of nowhere, is tricky to counter, and upsets people trying to play the game. Now, imagine a Flash that can suddenly fly over the battlefield at high velocity and blow up a sundy with C4, or get into weird places and start running over people. People would not like that.

Also, the Javelin mobility absolutely had to have been a good bad bug, ive seen people achieve similar dumb airtime using turbo vehicles. I do agree that it needs some of its pre-Integration mobility back to better differentiate it from the Flash, but letting it keep its old mobility quite possibly could have led to some very salty people. Which becomes more annoying when you consider Wraith Flashes are permitted to exist...
  7. BlackFox

A higher turn rate would be good, it feels kind of clunky - and there is no separate mouse sensibility settings for each vehicle
    • Up x 1
  8. Botji

My main beef with the changes are that the Agility chassi lost its jump, why would anyone use Agility now when all it seems to do is increase your 'sliding'?
    Speed just seems to be the best choice now, increasing the boost recharge.
    • Up x 1
  9. Botji

Double posting like a boss.

What do you guys think about the speed of the Javelin?
    I think it could well do with a forward thrust buff and put the base max speed to 70-80 instead of the crawling 60kph, I mean is there a reason its slower than every single MBT in the game aside from when its using the boost?

Also just to rant about the Celeste weapon, holy crap I knew it was garbage but I wanted to get the Javelin directive so now im stuck trying to grind it but it can barely hit a slow moving Sunderer from 10m away with how slow the shots are as well as being almost impossible to use in 3rd person since it does not seem to allow you to aim up enough to not send the shots on a near flat trajectory, giving you about 0 range on it... not like you will hit much at range either way with the AMAZING 50m/s velocity! damn im even missing shots almost point blank on moving targets because im not leading the Harasser by like a full Harasser length!
  10. Vyss

For triple the price of a flash it only performs about half as well. Worse weapons, no cloak, can't roadkill like the flash and it's pretty easy to get shot off of. Needs to be way faster by default, slightly less tanky vs AV (should always get 1 shot imo) and have a forward windshield/light barrier to protect the pilot. The guns are actually alright (flash's are overpowered) for it's role.
  11. Botji

I dont entirely agree with you here, slap the Combat chassi on any of the non-hit and run weapons(Hydra and Salamander) and you have very decent agility where you can fight infantry with it, I also find using Engineer for the faster shield cooldown is really nice and you can stack it up even more if you want. Jockey implant is obviously very good as well. I use Stealth and Speed chassi to more or less just float up to enemy tanks and dump Celeste/Nest into their rear then im off boosting for cover/hill whatever to avoid return fire and wait on the reload. So far its been very effective though it obviously needs decent terrain and cover so the Lightning/MBT cant just drive at you constantly or even better, you have backup and they cant focus on you 100%.

The rest of this is not really intended for you, im just going to rant but if you like using the Javelin it might still be worth a read since there are some good to know info sprinkled in.

Hydra is a similarly sadistically designed weapon as the Celeste is as its torture to use them and in general complete utter garbage so I dont think much of anything can redeem these without dev intervention.

After spending quite a few hours on the Javelin I can now say with near certainty that the aiming on it likes to bug out if the target is in a sweet spot(close range) and its very likely due to the weapons not being centered and try to converge(?) so they will hit the target but instead sends the shots flying straight up or as far up as possible. It happens frequently with the Celeste and Lightning tanks since you want to be close when you fire that thing and you see your first shot go straight into the tank and your 2nd is like WEEEEEE! SPACE!... not really since it cant go that far up but it goes flying over the tank. Its super obvious when it happens with the Hydra since suddenly your water hose is shooting above the infantry you are aiming chest level at for a few shots before correcting itself again, then shooting above again etc as you move/strafe back and forth going in and out of that range sweet spot.

Its another reason why Nest is the Best Javelin AV weapon and Salamander is the infantry farming weapon(even if Hydra was not god awful to begin with even without bugs), Nest does not care for precise aiming and Salamander is not a shotgun so there is no issue.

And just to rant about the Celeste and Hydra a bit more, its so horrible trying to get these auraxed, Celeste almost force you to fight alone because the horrible reload cycle means you are about 95% likely to get a vehicle to start burning and then a random LA or whatever will fire a single rocklet and steal your kill which I wouldnt care about normally but when you are going for the aurax you NEED the kills so you either dont fire at all until you think you can steal the kill or you only get assists... and fighting anything that fire back with the Celeste and alone is pure pain. Hydra is similarly painful, its so hilariously weak the only really viable strategy is to use it as a 0 range shotgun(much closer than the Renegade on the Flash) so you basically become a homing missile flying up to infantry and shooting them point blank with the convergence on the weapon still making you miss a bunch of shots sometimes.

Also fairly certain the Hydra is not supposed to take 3 ammo per shot? Since it has the 3x pellets like shotguns???
    I doubt the devs tested either Hydra or Celeste seeing how... special they are.

The Javelin as a vehicle is fine aside from two issues, its a bit too slow for what it is and I swear they repurposed a rocket when they made the thing because the gods damned nose refuses to not point up into the air at every possible and not possible moment which is fun when you want to fire at things at ground level or drive into a doorway, not climb the wall. It could also do with a reduction in front/cockpit size, if you are on a hill or whatever and want to aim down your cockpit/nose takes up like 50% of your screen and you cant see what you are aiming at, even if its a MBT. This problem is exaggerated by the fact that the nose is really reluctant at pointing down so any small incline = several seconds of not seeing what you are chasing(3rd person avoids it) and being unable to aim at them since the Javelin is now preparing to go to space.

If it got a speed buff and fixed the wonky nose, both in handling and visual, the Javelin itself would be done... then there is the issue of 2 of the weapons being nearly unusable and I dont really see what the devs intended with them(Celeste and Hydra).
    • Up x 1
  12. Botji

Double posting like a boss again.
    Made a bug report on the weapon aim problem, please go vote for it over in the bug report forum.

Also, here is the video showing the problem. This happens with the Celeste(probably all weapons) as well though I dont have a video of it.