Dervish

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Jun 18, 2021.

1. OneShadowWarrior

Can the Dervish have the option to remove a secondary gunner and have air to ground missile racks installed as another attachment?

I am not very excited for a 2 man air craft, since when I fly a ESF I perceive it as a solo vehicle, it’s why they are so popular.

Trying to get a player to gun for a Valkyrie or Liberator, seldom happens for me.
  2. Drgnx

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that this was going to be used for another purpose but it's getting shoehorned into the nso update instead of building a true one person ESF.

Did anyone actually have this in mind when they requested that nso get their own ESFs?

Does anybody remember having to do the campaign missions in a Valk to get from point A to B, well everybody else was zipping around in ESFs?

ESFs are great for one on one fights but also for traveling quickly, so unless this thing is going to be practical for one on one fights and for speed capabilities (ex: air recon) I'm not getting what I want but will let the rest of the community speak for themselves.
  3. JibbaJabba

No. I did not have this in mind.

I had something similar to what we already have, but just a 4th one for NSO. And frankly my idea was lacking in imagination and I'm glad Dev is doing something far more creative and different.
    • Up x 2
  4. JustGotSuspended

I'm just happy the thing supposedly has little/no a2g abilities.
    • Up x 1
  5. Drgnx

i don't deny or disapprove of the creativity of this but it misses the point of why I wanted an ESF for the nso.
    They could have made this available to everyone AND still given the nso an ESF similar to the other factions
    I get that they're trying to make NSO more valuable to the factions with a unique offering but they also handicap us without providing us the same tools, so it's a double edged sword
    I'd rather give up a Valkyrie or a Galaxy for this rather than the 1 man ESF, but of course that's just me ( and maybe only me)
  6. OneShadowWarrior

Personally I hate the way the Lib and Valkyrie fly, so I am skeptical about the Dervish.
  7. Demigan

Its badly designed. The DPS of the anti-Lib/Gal weapons have to be purposefully neutered to make sure the lock-on cheese nature of the weapons don't overpower them. Instead they should have gone for other options, like slow moving rockets or other method that gives large aircraft a chance to dodge or retaliate.

As for the feeling it was designed for something else: the devs have thrown dozens of things out the window and shoehorned them into something they wanted to promote instead. This happened to the Forwards Station (now Router), the ANVIL, the class-specific underbarrel grenade launcher etc. They don't seem to be too concerned with good design and more about delivering something shiny for people to geek about before it gets old and then throw another shiny in their path.

At the very least they could have the decency to repurpose the items for their intended design after the shinyness has worn off. That way the dev work does not go to waste and the game actually improves more over time.
    • Up x 1
  8. JustGotSuspended

Oh yeah people have definitely asked for a long time about the 3 man tank at least; the stuff from PS1. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to think the concept of these two vehicles already existed as another common vehicle for all factions, and with the NSOs they decided it would be simpler to push out stuff that's already been half carved out than to recreate something entirely from scratch.

Tbh, I don't really care. I'm a solo infantry player, so as long as there's minimal a2g and AI capabilities I'll be happy. I understand both sides, but in the end I do feel it's a bit more interesting to have a totally different model of vehicles for NSO. Firstly, it makes the faction more unique, and encourages that more people try the faction, maybe in duos or trios of friends. There's only so much you can make to balance fighters and mbts, by giving them abilities that make them unique and balanced at the same time. With this different approach, there's no actual need to balance the things in par with esfs and mbts, since they're completely different vehicles. It limits the "NSO TANK BETTER THAN MY VANGUARD" factor, because it wasn't meant to be on the same level in the first place.

Now I haven't tested the thing out in person, and tbh I probably won't use the thing much. But I do how the vehicles are a bit more skill oriented with the weapons, since the faction is supposed to be for more experienced players. If as demi says it's basically just a valk with coyotes, then that's going to be seriously disappointing.

Given how fast they're planning to push out the update, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a large portion of recycled material, either from existing concepts or actual in game content. I mean pretty much all the last updates were some form of recycled content either from planetside arena or old abandoned projects. I'm ofc skeptical of the update, as there were a few concerning changes, like the removal or NSO outfits and the old directive weapons. The vehicles however imo are a minor concern because they don't integrate in the core gameplay anyways. But I'll understand the disappointment of people who expected better.

The best way I think to fix the issue for NSOs that want solo fighters and mbts is to just offer them the existing ones. Either give them access to the ones on the faction they are currently playing, or if it's easier give them access to all 3 of the faction's es fighters and tanks at all times. I mean we already have a similar concept on esamir. Best thing to create balance is to have people fight each other with the same gear (although I totally disapprove of this).
  9. Bonemiser

I get the impression (or, this is my personal wishful thinking) that Dervish and Chimera were intentionally designed to be heavily anti-air and actually be good at it. Giving them the PS1 TR passive of needing an extra body is there for flavor/to keep them in check. Honestly, I'll be glad if we just get something good for Sky Knights and Skyguard pilots. I'd rather swap to TR if I want to A2G and Striker the skies mindlessly.
    • Up x 1
  10. MonnyMoony

The Dervish isn't really an ESF though - it's in a class of its own "Heavy Fighter". It seems to sit between an ESF and a Lib.

The new Chimera battle tank seems to be going in a similar direction, sitting somewhere between an MBT and the Colossus.
  11. Demigan

Since I'm a lovely ray of sunshine about everything, I question the idea of adding more bodies to each vehicle.

The main idea of NS is that it reinforces the lowest pop faction. What use is it to require the lowest faction to shack up more people in a single vehicle? Independently capable but strong cooperative is what I would have designed them around, rather than spreading their power over multiple seats.
  12. DarkQuark

I always thought NS was a little OP and now I feel they will be very OP. However, since they are helping the lowest pop faction. That kind of makes sense.
  13. UberNoob1337101

Kinda like how it worked in PS1, objectively the best gear, but always outgunned.
  14. LordAnnihilator

I think the new stuff is great. It's something different, that defies the current philosophy of vehicles, and depending on how they perform I am all about that. However, I do want to echo Demigans quote, but for a different reason:

I don't mind that the Dervish requires more people and the Chimera has rumble seats. What I take issue with is that how are you supposed to take advantage of the maximum benefits of multiple person vehicles if the only options you have are requesting randoms to gun for you? I mean you could join an outfit OH WAIT, THEY'RE GETTING RID OF NSO OUTFITS, KILLING THIS OPTION FOR US SUBSCRIPTIONLESS PEONS.

And If you do have a subscription? You have to bind yourself to one Empire to join one of their outfits, effectively skipping the "reinforce the lowest pop faction" part of NSOs design philosophy. At that point, unless these NSO specific vehicles and guns are very good, you might as well play that faction instead.
  15. OneShadowWarrior

95% of the kills for aircraft in game are from air to ground attacks.

The game is just not setup with it's current flying physics for playful air to air combat. It is wonky at best, but definitely is no pilot oriented game, adding a 2nd gunner is typical failed mechanics like the Liberator and Valkyrie both subpar aircraft with a odd fit. They might as well add a nose gun to Valkyrie and afterburners and call it a day, because that's what the Dervish is going to end up being.

The only reason why ESF excels is because of exploitation of improper AA defenses to ground targets and that the vast majority of the time ground forces are to busy engaging ground targets and make easy targets.
    • Up x 1
  16. Drgnx

17. veebee

I'm OK with the Dervish being different. It's giving me a reason to try flying more just to compare-and-contrast.

I spent a little while practicing with it and the immense yaw and lift is actually a pretty big distinction, it's not happy going upside down but it's viable side-flying for long periods by yawing against gravity, which lets it make some tight turns with stable height - while I wouldn't count on winning just with nosegun, the top gunner will be able to address opponents from just about any angle with a good pilot and I would not take A2G off the table. OTOH it's as fragile against the ground as a regular ESF, but you have to make more committed moves because you can't pitch or roll out of trouble. Mastering this beast may be about mastering collision avoidance and trusting your gunner - we'll see. It's definitely different.
  18. Liewec123

Currently dervish on PTS is pretty damn weak,
    First there is the size, it is going to eat so many AP rounds!
    Then there are the controls, trying to hit anything with the nose gun is hilariously tough, dervish can't swivel as easy as esfs,
    And lightly tapping A or D to turn where you are aiming will move the crosshairs waaay past the target,
    Even hitting stationary targets in VR was a chore, I can only imagine what trying to dogfight with this thing would be like...

The topguns seem ok though, so in essence dervish is simply an upsidedown valkyrie with a massive hitbox.
    In short, unless it gets changes, it is going to suck.
    • Up x 1