VS "Heavy" LMGs suck

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by netBattler, Jun 8, 2021.

1. netBattler

I'm specifically talking about the Ursa and Flare. I get that the Ursa and Flare are high damage compared to most VS weapons, but they're commonly outclassed by NC weapons.

The funny thing is there's like no redeeming factors in my opinion. Hipfire sucks. Rate of fire sucks. Can't stay on target with long bursts even with foregrip and compensator.

The only thing I like is how the extended mags give me 150 rounds, but what's the point if it's so hard to hit with these guns?

Whenever I play with assault rifles, my KDR is high because they are actually capable of hitting what I aim at. But then I have the problem of running out of ammo in my magazine when facing a lot of action.
  2. DarkStarAnubis

Just keep the Orion. it is not good, it is super good.
    • Up x 4
  3. Bonemiser

Honestly it's a blessing that VS and NC start with their best LMGs. Maybe the others could use some love, but I get the feeling they're still good enough.
  4. OneShadowWarrior

Your joking with this post, right??????

First the Flare is a deadly LMG in the hands of a marksman, I auraxium’d so fast in that gun my head spun, same goes with Ursa, as a matter the fact the opening of Betelgeuse was achieved faster than NC Godsaw with TR being deadlast with Butcher.

Your probably not doing it right.

Flare I run 2x scope, compensator, foregrip. I always rely on aim down sights. Sometimes I use softpoint, flash suppress, laser sight and 1x if the pace of the fight ends up between 10-20 meters but here is the thing, you never want them to close. If it’s point blank, I use suppressor, laser sight and IR. Use assimilate and survivalist implant and andrenalin shield with nanomesh.

Ursa, I use compensator and foregrip, usually a 2-3x scope, hit and run tactics, nanite mesh generator shield, advanced shield capacitor, I usually use athlete and battlehardened as implants for this style. If the fights go in close, I run suppressor and laser sight.

Be careful with high velocity ammo on both these weapons, they suck, I hope this helps.
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

If you want a hard hitter have you tried Maw? It's veeery similar to Anchor.
    And anchor is regarded as one of NCs best.

Plus when you get bored you can stick lasersight and hitbox-hack ammo on it for a fun time ADAD hipfiring :)

General summary of the VS heavy hitters:
    Maw = highest damage least range,
    Ursa = highest range least damage,
    Flare fills the gap between them.
    • Up x 4
  6. InexoraVC

I've auraxed both Ursa and Flare. They are great but you have to adapt:
    1. use 4 rounds burst with Flare. Always stop when you're about to fire. Don't strafe.
    2. Ursa is great at distances > 20 m. Just don't go to close combat. And/or always aim for the head.

Here is a tiny vid about Ursa
    • Up x 2
  7. JustGotSuspended

^

I'm a bit more aggressive so I prefer to run a laser, 1x reflex and sometimes HVA on the ursa. I then use it in CQC range. It's extremely deadly, one of my favorite VS lmgs after the orion ofc. It's a lot less forgiving in CQC, you you need to land those 3 headshots. If you can do that you've got an extremely quick ttk. Faster than most weapons, including the orion!

If you miss or don't go for the head with this weapon, you're really penalizing yourself to the point where the chances of you winning in CQC are minimal.

I never liked the flare, I would avoid it altogether. That's not to say it's a bad weapon, but I just never like the feel of it, even when landing headshots. Usually those "highly adaptable" weapons with tons of attachments don't perform as well as others.

From what it sounds like it just seems like an issue with the user, not the weapon. Practice aim and movement and you will be able to mow down squads with the Ursa.
  8. TR5L4Y3R

the ursa pretty much is the NC gausssaw equivalent, meaning over range you DON`T go full auto but shortburst and ADS .. hipfire only if your enemy is in your face

if you want an allround lmg ... just use the default orion

can´t speak for the flare ...
  9. JibbaJabba

Please people do not use compensators.

Thank you and have a nice day!
  10. Scroffel5

Whats wrong with you guys? The solution isn't to say "Oh, use this instead, we all know it is bad" or to say "You suck dude, do this instead." Diagnose the problem, back it up with facts, and then present a solution instead of yeeting this dude's grave.
    • Up x 3
  11. UberNoob1337101

B-but muh zero recoil!

Especially on weapons you never hipfire on, compensators can make easy recoil patterns even easier. Of course, if you reach a certain skill level with a gun, replacing both compensator and foregrip with a laser sight is best, but full auto with no recoil is so relaxing...

As for the OP, VS 167dmg automatics are the embodiment of "headshots or die". They have very little recoil and good damage per mag, but you have to watch out for everything else : sub-par DPS will hold you back if you bodyshot, 0.06 CoF bloom while ADS is a lot more compared to other VS automatics (Orion has 0.04 CoF bloom, which is a lot less). It's best to burst in 3-4 shots, and make them count.

While Flare's dakka is nice, Ursa has better recoil stats, long-range damage and velocity. You'll only really feel it at 40m+.

By the way, try out the SVA-88. It has more dakka but lower damage, and has nicer CoF spread stats. A bit more friendly to use I find.

CARV is a monster, with foregrip it does everything, and MSW-R is only 650 certs away. Long range TR LMGs are forgettable though.
  12. netBattler

I know how to burst fire. I've been playing FPS games since 2004.

I'm saying that even if I burst fire, the probability of landing more than 1 hit per burst is lower than it is in a lot of modern games. I guess I should also say this is over long distances.

Now to be fair, I'm not straight up comparing stat to stat between the Ursa and Gauss SAW... but I'd still venture out and guess that the Gauss SAW outclasses the Ursa, mainly for its damage model. I have had many disappointments by the Ursa where I would break shield, land 3-4 more shots, and the enemy would still manage to run away. This is at the distances that the Ursa is supposedly optimum for as well. Yes, the enemy probably had nano weave armor, but still. How underwhelming.

But I think the most practical thing for me to do is just go back to playing my BR 76 NC Character lol.
  13. blackboemmel

Do it. If the "kick harder" NC LMGs are really so much better in your hands - go for it. Can you also link your VS/NC LMG stats here? I'd somehow love to see them.
  14. netBattler

Yeah NC LMGs do kick, but I think the Dev's answer to that was the Promise LMG. Full auto accuracy ftw. I'll try to remember to post stats here later after I play some more. Most of my stats for NC are on the medic. Auraxed enough ARs to get the Gauss Prime.
  15. blackboemmel

Then compare your NC AR stats with your VS AR stats.;)
  16. JibbaJabba

Mmm, no. foregrips make recoil patters easier. Compensators do not.

Friends don't let friends use compensators. There is not an upside to using them. Do not use compensators.

And if you really want full auto with no recoil, type this: /fp_fov 90. :p
  17. netBattler