[Suggestion] Remove SMGs from Infiltrators

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scroffel5, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Scroffel5

This post is going to get some backlash, and its understandable why. Let me preface this by saying I play Infiltrator. I think that if you are going to play Infiltrator, you should have to be very skilled at the game. You should have to hit the head almost all the time, and only then should your TTK be one of the highest. I don't like SMGs when paired with Infiltrators. Why do they have them? They are weapons that work for every class, but especially if you can get a few extra shots off first. I like where Scout Rifles are and how only Infiltrators can have them. Same with snipers. I think that Infiltrators should have to focus on those weapons, and they should be very rewarding if you can hit mostly headshots.

Will many people drop Infiltrator if this changes? Yes. Do I hate removing a playstyle? Also yes. But I do feel that this is out of hand. Infiltrators shouldn't have weapons for other classes, excluding marksman type weapons, such as Battle Rifles. If the TTK of a weapon that any other class uses is given to the Infiltrator to use, which has to have lower HP for their class to be balanced, plus they can get another extra shot on you before you know whats up, that doesn't sound very balanced at all. You should have to make the extra shots you get count more than any other class should have to.
    • Up x 1
  2. DorianOmega

Eh, realistically if this was going to be implemented imo there should then be the whole array of weapon styles made available to every class removing weapon niche function of each class with maybe the exception of rocket launchers on heavy assault still being forced, maybe then have class specific role weapons come out to emphasize that classes gameplay function anyway still while the whole fielding of weapon usage would be pretty well equalized by then.
  3. Demigan

Don't remove stuff. Add stuff. If necessary add a longer decloak animation so players have more time to notice and react. But don't remove an entire playstyle just because i't powerful.

Just imagine the list of things removed if we did that instead if altering things.
    • Up x 4
  4. JustGotSuspended

They should've decreased the HS multiplier for all smgs a while back. Debatable maybe for the PDW or MKV but the rest shouldn't have 2x multiplier with such high accuracy and dps.

Also it's not just smgs that are an issue. I'll put it this way:

they remove the shotguns from infils in beta, because 1hk and cloak is too strong in this game (keep in mind this 1hk had a relatively tight range limit because shotguns).

A few years later they allow sniper rifles to be 1hk. And add 1hk knives. And infinite cloak. Sniper rifles which have much more range and reliability than shotguns.

....?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!
  5. Liewec123

I think the game would be healthier across the board if almost ALL headshot multi was reduced. (with the exception of long range sniper rifles and battle rifles)
    This would lower both the skill ceiling and floor and make the game more fun for the majority instead of the few mlg no-lifers with 90% HSR.

But yup it's especially no fun getting chain headshots from a stealther who was hiding in the corner.
    • Up x 2
  6. BlackFox

I rarely see 'SMG infiltrators nowadays on Miller, most of them use revolvers - way more effective it seems
  7. DarkStarAnubis

I think the game would be healthier across the board if almost ALL headshot multi was reduced. (with the exception of long range sniper rifles and battle rifles)

I hear you but I would do it differently:

1. align all HS multipliers to the same value (no Tomoe, no Daymio crap, ...)
    2. increase CoF for any non-bolt action weapon:
    worst punishment for auto and semi-auto weapons with short barrels
    average punishment for auto weapons with medium barrels or long barrels
    light punishment for semi-auto weapons with medium or long barrels

To still give the right prize to players aiming and bursting carefully or coming very close to their targets.
  8. Scroffel5

This is war, this is war, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is war.

Being able to kill someone really fast with headshots is fun. If you don't like the Tomoe or Daymio, just ask for them to be made harder to use. Give the Tomoe insane recoil because of its RoF. I do see what you are saying though.
  9. Scroffel5

Yeah yeah, I know, I know. I already said I don't like removing playstyles. I always advocate for them to be changed. Adding a longer decloak still doesn't change the usability of the SMGs, and it doesn't change the fact that Infiltrators should be headhunter classes, not "spray and pray." (Read between the lines, not the words, because I know someone is gonna say that an SMG isnt spray and pray.)

Sure, we can rebalance SMGs or just rebalance the Infiltrator, but an SMG still would be easier and more advantageous to use. It'd just be the easier choice, which changes almost nothing.

But sure, we could go that route. I'm just not sure it'd make much of a reliable difference. If we did do that, we'd probably have to buff ASRs.
  10. OneShadowWarrior

It’s been an ongoing issue even with sniper rifles. Infiltrators are in a odd place compared to how they were in the first planetside.

Back then cloakers could hack enemy vehicles, put down combat engineer stuff like demolitions c4, spitfires, mines, they hack doors to bases when they had doors, even the emp grenades actually jammed vehicles and the wraith was permanently invisible with no weapons where you could park it with a trunk, you also had the phantasm aircraft that had no weapons that was cloaked.

Sniper rifles were something common pool and bigger firearms were not allowed on cloakers they could only use pistol style weapons, but back then as you see they had other options.
  11. Demigan

A longer decloak changes the way you need to use the SMG. currently you can pop up in front of someone and hose them down. If you have such a long time to decloak then you can't attack them from the front and need a much more careful playstyle to make use of your cloak. SMG's are overall less good than Carbines and they are only good on Infils because you get to get in close and semi-surprise people.
    But if you have to work hard to get that close? Say decloak in a flanking position and hope it takes long enough for your enemy to find you and shoot you that you get to kill them? Or that you need to decloak behind cover or a wall and wade in while visible, hoping that the place you come from is enough to get close enough? Suddenly the SMG infil won't be easymode but one of planning and strategy to get the most out of your weapon. That seems fitting for an infiltrator. They don't have to be headhunters, they need to be sneaking about for their kills. An SMG infil with slower decloak would be more an infiltrator than a sniper infil that just sits far away from the lines.
  12. TR5L4Y3R

agree with this one ... the weapons that should have a HS multiplyer should be those that are meant for it
    and most automatic weapons aren´t

so HSM should be high for any semiauto or burstfire weapon and rather decent for mid to long range automatic weapons, that don´t have a high rate of fire .. or such weapons that require HS to be effective ...
  13. XRIST0

Sorry, infiltrators should never have been given smg's.. and decloak time should be increased when running an smg, atleast.

In general infiltrators are straight up annoying, I respect the skill of those cqc snipers that clearly have some skill and can hit those head shots with bolt actions but the rest of them .. nothing nice to say, especially having the option to use guns like the gladius that have the highest damage model in the game, and the cyclone.. how absurd.
  14. Scroffel5

Sure that sounds good. A decloak could fix the problem. Lets see.
  15. Demigan

How about this: are SMG's OP on Light Assaults?
    An LA has a good chance of getting the drop on enemies, only they cannot appear almost in someone's face and unload on them most of the time.
    Lets make it extreme: a 5 second decloak. Even if you removed the decloak sound you still have a 900 health player with an SMG that has to assault enemies when he's fully visible. An LA would have an easier chance of getting close enough to use the SMG.
    so there is a time period inbetween, perhaps around 1 second where the cloak is useful enough to be used in combat without getting killed every time (decloak sounds being active ofcourse). If you are at around 2 seconds I would guess it's useless for using in combat and can only really be used to get into position.
  16. Scroffel5

Yes sounds good. But if that is the case, why wouldn't Infiltrators be able to have other weapons too? They were given Scout Rifles. Those are supposedly "their" weapons. That and snipers. Thats why I think they should be more focused on, with SMGs being a good all-rounder for every class. Sure, that doesn't mean removing them, and your suggestion will probably work just fine. Just giving a thing to think about.