[Suggestion] cortium bomb

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MatthewJoseph, May 12, 2021.

1. MatthewJoseph

Hi folks, what do you think about a cortium bomb? It is strong, cheap and would be nice consider to change a little, maybe raise a cost becouse 75 nanites is so cheap same as hand granade. In scenario of one infiltrator who decide to assasinate enemy custom build base, he just need some ressuply terminal like sundy and can constantly spawn and plant this bomb. My opinion.
  2. JustGotSuspended

Cortium bombs cost 20 merit, not nanites.

I get the fact that infiltrators are trolls. But regardless of giving them bombs or whatever, if they have the possibility to resupply, they can use C$ and/or mines to do the same thing. Or launchers or AV max/engineer turret. The delay and sound/visual of the bomb does make it quite obvious in a PMB environment. Ofc, if there is no one to defend the base, the bombs will have their effect. But if no one's defending the base regardless of bombs or not it wouldn't be difficult to destroy it. As an infil they could even hack a terminal and pull vehicles from your base to kill it!

What I do like is the possibility it offers to deny or create breaches. For example, if I see enemies piling up seemingly for a breach, I plant a bomb by the corner of the door and fall back. Sometimes the enemies push, and as they are breaching the bomb goes off "BOOM" and kills a few people, blasts/disorients a few others and basically puts a dent in their push. Other times the bomb goes off on a friendly. Or the enemies push too late or too soon and it blows with no effect. Sometimes an ally disarms the bomb just as the enemies start breaching and it was about to blow.

It creates some interesting situations, but do feel they should try to rework it a bit so it's less cheesy against PMBs and also doesn't get left in spawn rooms to blow up attackers rushing in after a cap. Perhaps give it a remote detonation? That way infils would have to uncloak to detonate? But that would mitigate the ability to disarm it. I'm not sure what's the best solution, but I'd prefer not to see a boring increase in price, rather an improvement of it's mechanics.
  3. MatthewJoseph

Cortium bombs cost 20 merit...that is even better than nanites. For defending big outpost you get 150 merits, for capturing same. According to community we all have more less 5000 merit on accounts. How many coritum bombs we can spam...

Breaches idea seems fine, but that can be use to plant bombs in lost spawnrooms like they do now.

For now with some combination of c4 tank mine , cortium bomb can deal a lot of damage for colossus tank.

I'm still after raise cost, and what is not so easy - change or improve mechanics of it.
  4. RabidIBM

20 merit = free. Merit is a resource which doesn't offer many ways to spend it, and I usually have thousands kicking around, and even start buying random colossus upgrades which I will never use whenever I hit 20,000 merit. For context, I don't go out of my way to make merit, it just sorta shows up. Therefore I get frustrated by the "ItS nOt FrEe BeCaUsE iT cOsTs MeRiT" argument.

Anyone who says "well, just don't leave your base unattended" is at least making an argument that could be reasonably intelligent if made by somebody who has never built a base, so I'll try to be less sarcastic about explaining what is wrong with this argument. Part of building a base is anticipating the flow of battle, so you can build somewhere the fight WILL be at in 10-20 minutes. Enough time to build, but little enough time that you don't have to sit around forever waiting. The trouble is, the front can be unpredictable. For example, I might fortify Lowland Trading Post, expecting Quartz Ridge Camp to be defended, and then the fight to spill back out into the desert. Trouble is the enemy don't defend Quartz this time, maybe they prioritized Crossroads Watchtower, so my faction are on to Hvar, then on to the warpgate. Now this base is more than a kilometer behind the line, even though it shouldn't have been.

Now what do you do? Do you sit in your base for 45 minutes to an hour become some chuckle**** with cancer bombs *MIGHT* show up? Probably not, that's boring, and we play games to have fun. So you take the reasonable precaution of placing an alarm module, and go...run a router...fly an aircraft...or even just drop on the squad beacon to join your platoon. Then the alarm module pings, you immediately mash redeploy, wait 10 seconds, get to spawn screen, wait 15 seconds to use the spawn tube...wait, no you don't, because that was a 25 second delay, and the cortium bomb takes 20 seconds to detonate. You watch your spawn tube disappear off the map even though you reacted instantly.

In response to, "your base would die from anything if it wasn't defended" not in 20 seconds it wouldn't, as is evident by the fact that cortium bombs were created in the first place. Any method of attack or approaching the base triggers the alarm module, the builder and a couple buddies come back, and kill the guy who was griefing the base. Then, rather than actually making friends with anyone to attack a base together, they got on Reddit and whined that PMBs are OP until pity bombs got added to the game for these trolls, then since it worked once they whined again, and what do you know, the most OP and lazily made weapon in the game got buffed.

Before anyone who doesn't build, but thinks they are smarter than builders pulls out "just deploy a second spawn point", you can't realistically. Do you use the squad beacon? Not if you are playing in a platoon, they need it. Do you deploy a defensive router? Not if you are going to run routers for your platoon, which once the base is built is the next function of builders. Do you deploy a sunderer? Not if you are running routers, the sunderer will de-spawn when you make your ESF-taxi. After that your next best bet is to be dependent on you empire's hard spawns, but in the time it takes to travel from them, a dozen cortium bombs can be placed by one chuckle**** who brought a sundy.
    • Up x 2
  5. JustGotSuspended

I mean when I do go out to attack the base, the first thing I do is kill the spawn tube. Some C4 or mines do the trick, they detonate even faster than the bomb. Spawntubes really aren't hard to kill, they're quite weak. I guess they should make the spawn times shorter. Perhaps increase bomb timer a bit as well?
    • Up x 1
  6. RabidIBM

True, they do detonate a lot faster, but they can't be carried by infils, and they actually cost something. I suppose an extended bomb timer would help a little, but really they cortium bomb just needs to be removed. Unfortunately that would involve somebody having to admit that one of his ideas was bad.
  7. JustGotSuspended

If it's just an infil issue don't let infils equip it.

If they do remove the bombs though they should also take out all the AI modules, pain spires, etc that completely prevent any fun fights from occurring in PMBs.
  8. RabidIBM

That is not at all what those things do. All auto turrets and pain spires do is deter single player harrassment. If a real fight starts at a base, the turrets are all gone by somewhere between the 2 and 5 minute mark of the fight. After that it's up to players to defend the base.

Automated defenses help to ensure that the PMB lives long enough for a fight to happen at it, which is the point of building in the first place.

If you're interested in learning more about construction, I like to teach as much as I can when I play. Friday night Drunk Division will be online tonight, so I'll be on TR Connery. Whether or not I am able to build a good base will be warpgate dependent, as not all the warpgates have somewhere good to build.
    • Up x 1
  9. JustGotSuspended

I beg to differ. Those things completely deny access to the base for any non-infil infantry class, effectively preventing fights from occurring at the base.

Let's be honest, no real fight starts at those bases. They're most often home to trolls, using them for free vehicles or whatever. They are just too unfun and strategically worthless so the playerbase actively avoids them. The few that do attack them are either often trolls themselves. The infil class comes to mind, but tanks as well. They obviously target turrets first because they don't wanna be obliterated by hitscan AI turrets if they get out their tank. But I wouldn't call that a "real fight". I can count on one hand the number of actual fights I've had/seen at PMBs. I can count on one finger the ones where as an attacker or defender I actually had fun lol.

Thanks I got a pretty solid understanding of what the current experience of attacking and building PMBs is all about. Generally boring and unfun it either direction. I left Connery because it's lacking the pop emerald can muster. I got over 1.1k kills in a day played on emerald. Would take me almost a week now to get those numbers on Connery. Not a fan of HMRD on Connery either. Not a fan of building wg bases that will only serve as a spot to pull routers or free A2G as well. I'll respectfully decline your offer, I prefer a different mindset and playstyles that go along with it when I'm playing ps2!

However do feel free to record whatever "real fights" occur at your base near the wg (I'm assuming yours...?), I'd be delighted to discover something new.
  10. RabidIBM

It's unfortunate that this has been your experience, clearly you have not seen construction at it's best. Done right, they are great centerpieces for battles. I'll start by deflecting your negative assumption, and say that any base built near a warpgate is not mine. Unless I quickly slapped down a router base, in which case of course it's at the warpgate, but those things are just 4 structures. That's not what I'm referring to when I talk about playing construction.

A great example would be Lowland Trading Post. There's enough shelter due to the existence of the starting structure that a base can be safe from one direction of attack, but if it gets flanked it's in trouble. The base protects the control point on the trading post, which locks access to the 3 point base behind it. This means that whoever holds the trading post can have a good honest tank battle in the desert, without having to worry about answering back caps. The PMB is the centerpiece of a good battle, but is not the whole battle. It provides a stronghold, and creates urgency for the attackers by punishing them with artillery if they sit still. It is a force multiplier, but not a force in it's own right.

As for whether or not people are having fun, I notice that when I build my Berjess Overlook base, I commonly have the entire eastern warpgate's faction come to it for a fight. I mean, if they really hated it, they would just go around. This is typically bad for the alert, as the northern warpgate will take more than 50% of the territory. This is not the intention, and it's not like we are deliberately not killing spawn points, they just keep bringing more. If they are willing to bail on an alert to come attack my PMB, well they must see something they like. I may have to substantially change the design soon, enemies are starting to get wise to the layout, and clearly know where things are going to be once they've seen the first couple buildings. One of the strengths of PMBs is that the defenders will know the layout better than the attackers. If the attackers recognize my build, then a lot of that strength is lost.

Another fun thing to do on the side while under attack is keep score of how many orbitals my base can survive. So far my record is 6. I'm not counting #s 7 or 8 that followed, because those actually broke me, so I can't score them.
    • Up x 1
  11. JibbaJabba

I don't get what the intended purpose of the cortium bomb is?

Best I can tell it is one of:
    1. lets cloakers blow up unattended vehicles.
    2. nullifies the nearly irrelevant and frustrating construction game
    3. lets people come up with creative ways to crap on others en-masse

All three of these suck as a gameplay experience ergo the cortium bomb sucks.
    • Up x 1
  12. RabidIBM

Basically, some builders used construction in a kinda trolly way, orbital spamming T.I. Alloys without actually fortifying any important ground for their faction, that sort of thing. This created an impression that builders are trolls, a fire some streamers/YouTubers were happy to pour fuel on. Because of this, a decision was made to counter trolling with trolling, and the devs created the cortium bomb because "all builders are trolls who deserve to be trolled". Then, when it didn't get the job done of getting people to stop building, they buffed it.

As for why they don't just remove construction from the game if they hate it so much, well, then what would they do about the daybreak cash many spent on close to 30 pay walls to get into construction?

I think they may have changed their tune on that since the cortium bomb buff, as the latest Esamir does have more "builder bases". But, I assure you, nobody with any experience building had any input into their layout. They took the old crystal Tipi which many builders like, and made it into Spral Oasis, but while doing so also destroyed everything which made it a good construction site. Not because of the addition of a control point, but because they got rid of the good cover.
    • Up x 2
  13. LetMeBeClear

All I hear is "waaaaa, they get to blow up stuff, waaaa". It takes merit to even use cort bomb. That means somebody had to a) join an outfit and b)get to loyalty level 6 to even equip it. After all that, of course, each one costs merit which has to be replenished. ffs, they even added the defuse ability on them for the cryers out there and, guess what? babies still crying. "Waaaa, they blew up my **** because I wanna make a pmb and not guard it, it should just stay until I log. waaaa. "
  14. Whiteagle

I've heard RabitIBM's argument against the Cortium Bomb in his Construction Fix thread, and the general consensus was that the Timebomb was a nightmare to play against, to the point Rabit actually wants to REMOVE Infantry Terminals from the Bunker to prevent their subversion by Enemy Infiltrators to pull more Cortium Bombs.
    I think the biggest problem is that it's a powerful Bomb that is an INFANTRY Deployable; If an Infiltrator can plunk them down anywhere, then they're going to plunk them down EVERYWHERE.

My thinking is turn it into a Vehicle, probably a Flash Armament, that needs to lock the whole thing down to start the timer.
    A good PMB should at least prevent Enemy Vehicles from getting inside it's Walls after all, even if Infantry can still get through, so that will at least make it more difficult for the Bomb to destroy the ENTIRE Base in one go.
    It being a Flash will allow Infiltrators to cloak it, yes, but ALSO being a Flash means you can probably outright Destroy it before it goes off.
  15. JustGotSuspended

just delete infils, or don't let them equip the bomb. Makes sense an invisible class with 1hk weapons shouldn't be allowed an added explosive.