A new batch of Empire Specific weapons?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MichaelMoen, May 5, 2021.

1. MichaelMoen

Should it be about time again? It's become difficult for me to find one for NC pleasant enough to use full time and I never really fell for any of the Nomad weapons, which feel just as clunky as they look.

Most of the time NC weapons just fail me in encounters, but also it's the aesthetics of their models buggin me as well. Base Game choices are showing their age, some are even completely separate pieces of models glued together, not matching, and the Doku ones are way overkill. Too busy, bulky.
    • Up x 1
  2. DarkStarAnubis

As much as I would like new weapons (just for fun) I am not sure they will do it. There are several reasons:

1. There are already all-round weapons, CQC-oriented and long-range weapon types pretty much for every empire. The only faction with very narrow choices is NSO.

2. The last addition I can remember is Doku set, which DBG took and copy pasted to squeeze an LMG, an AR, a Carbine, a SMG and semi-sniper rifle, so 5 at the price of 1. Not sure to make new weapons is good from P/L perspective.

3. in order to sell Doku's weapons (which had to compete with an already full deck of alternatives) they had to introduce quirks/special traits: so you get unstable ammo, heat mechanics, perforating bullets, variable CoF, variable damage and variable rate of file, mini-pellets and so on. Some of those caused quite a debate (unstable ammo and the hitbox mess...), so they may not be so keen to repeat this. Besides, which other quirks should come up with?

4. Current trend seems re-skinning. Costs much less, much less risky and sell those weapons only in super expensive bundles
  3. JustGotSuspended

^

as the guy above mentions they're currently focused on an NSO overhaul and maybe a new continent, or at least a revamp for next campaign. There likely won't be new empire specific weapons unless you're NSO.

Again, it seems the team doesn't put much emphasis on new weapons, as I guess there's already a lot of choice and most of the stuff is very identical at least in terms of looks. They don't seem too intent on being creative with mechanics or models, so there's really not much they can add that won't be identical or too bad/too good compared to the other already available options. I mean even if they added more weapons its quite likely they aren't going to be very fun.

It's pretty clear the devs don't care for the community. If they really were worried about people complaining one faction has access to bullets the size of cannonballs they would've done something about it. I'm sure they'll come up with new weird cheese to shove down our throats in the future, I'm just assuming all the creativity right now is focused on the future planned updates.

And yeah the best thing for the devs to do has always been to simply reskin popular NS weapons in a bundle and sell them. Tie them to a directive that gives a fancy reward to attract interest, and the trick is done. Realistically it's the only thing that's quick to make and is fairly profitable. Imagine if each time they wanted to make money they had to create 15 different weapons, add mechanics for each, make sure they are all fairly good and then add them to a directive tree. It's way more effort compared to changing the skin on existing weapons, that everyone uses and likes and are cross faction.
  4. MonnyMoony

Not really sure what they would bring TBH (unless of course we are talking about a VS Repeater clone ;))

The game could do with the addition of some weapons - but in very specific gaps.

For example - we could do with a more skill based Max AA weapon, something akin to the G30 Walker.
  5. MichaelMoen

That's debatable. The only thing going for the NS reskins are their models and sounds. The way they actually handle are annoying a lot of the time. The only NS weapon I ever auraxed was the Diamondback (does that even count as NS?) Solely because it looked and sounded good, which kept me using it, but I knew it was just a carbon copy of the NS-15 which I never liked and feels horrible to use.

I don't see the idea how if they made more Empire Specific weapons they'd have to do it for all types. They could even just do it one type at a time. I can tell however people here must only care about what works for them, not how it sounds, looks, or feels. The GR-22 is the only bullet hose AR for the NC, and it shows whenever I use it. I can blindside a lot of people with it just like what happens to me a lot. I should be using it more, because it works. But it's butt freakin ugly.
  6. That_One_Kane_Guy

The only good options would be the types they skipped over with the Doku weapons. So Shotguns, Pistols, and maybe Bolt Actions. Other than that everything has been covered for each faction pretty definitively.
    Like DarkStar said, reskinning is probably most likely. Simply put it's a lot more cost-effective for them to monetize alt-weapon models than adding guns anyone can buy with certs.
  7. JustGotSuspended

NS weapons are usually the best all-rounders in the game. Defaults might have more potential, but NS weapons in general are very easy to use and quite deadly.

Saying everyone likes them is an overstatement, but due to their cross-faction ability and the fact they are very solid weapons, they are appreciated by vets and noobs alike which makes it very easy to monetize the bundles to a wider group of people. They are very nice for people who don't want to put their muscle memory in trouble when switching between factions.

Back to the point of selling the bundles, they need to have some sort of drive to get them. If they revamp one at a time there won't be the opportunity to complete a directive tree until all the bundles are released, which will take a lot of time. Each bundle would get a lesser audience since it would only target a class on one faction. And its easier to get people to spend 80$ at once instead of 5 times 14$ over an extended amount of time.
    • Up x 1
  8. Demigan

I think they should finally start focussing on mechanics-based weapons based on the faction-flavors. Mechanics-based means not using "traditional" bullets.

Currently we basically have NC with large bullets and slow ROF, TR with small bullets and high ROF and the VS with medium bullets and medium ROF (on average the VS does not have superior accuracy for their weapons).
    But the NC is supposed to be the faction that uses experimental weapons and repurposed industrial equipment. TR both a military and militarized police force and the VS a bunch of vanu-science worshipping scientists who don't scoff at using technologies they hardly understand in ways that aren't necessarily superior to existing technology.

We could easily add weapons that fit these factions, for example:

TR could get infantry-worn flamethrowers (should be NC but the TR Flash already has one). Smoke grenades that cause an increasing concussion effect on enemies that linger in the smoke as their police-based crowd control weapon. Bullets that trade a bit of damage or fire rate for debilitating effects when hitting your enemy, a police baton that sacrifices a bit of damage to debilitate enemies etc.

The NC could get something like UT's biorifle, launching industrial chemicals that stick for a few moments before detonating (and if you keep firing will detonate the blobs being fired close to the weapon). Industrial explosives with alternative detonation mechanics (timed, only explodes when shooting it etc). Gyrojet bullets, basically rocket-propelled bullets with increasing velocity the farther they travel etc.

The VS could get weapons and gadgets based on the hardlight and gravlift technology. Imagine a weapon that shoots hardlight shards, and the distance you set then to travel determines the ROF of the weapon? Or a grenadelauncher like weapon that leaves a fluctuating gravity field for 1 second on impact, dealing damage to enemies as they get pulled apart.

The point being that there are plenty of lore-fitting weapons that do not have to rely on "larger bullet size means less ROF".
  9. xLluisett

The Naginata is a bull s h i t,and the Yumi same tale. I losed much 1 versus 1 due those 2 weapons if the enemy is another heavy assault.
  10. xLluisett

Sorry i can not edit past 30 minutes. I forget to say,the naginata versus another heavy assault is good if you strafe while shooting. If you stay quiet you lose.
  11. JustGotSuspended

the yumi is actually one of the best ars once you get used to it. It can kill anything in a burst. Naginata isn't my fav thing but it can be quite the powerhouse if you're in the proper spot.
  12. Liewec123

I'd welcome some new weapons, only problem is that the devs need to make all 3 decent and not fumble out another Charger.
    I don't even think they should be constrained by "they must all be this type of weapon".

NC could get a monster LMG that hits harder and fires slower than gauss saw,
    While tr get a spin-up minigun SMG that ramps up both speed and dmg
    NSO could get a pump action shotgun that reloads like a semi auto
    vs could maybe get a heat based carbine with a new heat based underbarrel weapon
    that fires a slow moving orb of plasmawith no drop which hits like a UBGL explosion.
    you get the idea :)
  13. Demigan

I would love to get away from the current system of bullet size, so how about we make monster-LMG a 20mm grenade machine gun, with a low damage but decent AOE per shot? Seems to fit the NC perfectly: Cheap industrial explosives fired with a big gun.

VS could rip the Needlers from Halo, although without the homing system. You sacrifice most of your direct damage for a damage later on when the shards detonate. More shards detonating means more damage per shard. Get enough shards into the target and a larger explosion occurs that damages nearby players. That has some obvious disadvantages in 1v1 or in CQC, but against groups or as a weapon shot from a flank it could be very powerful.

The TR already has a flamethrower on their Flash, just make a portable version of it.
    • Up x 1
  14. xLluisett

That is true,the Yumi can kill anything except MAX units in a single burst,the problem is that have a delay,and you must aim at head in order to kill in one burst. This not always happens,and at the moment of the second burst fires,you are dead,assuming the enemy have a cqc weapon. So is half true what you say. But i agree that the stopping power of the Yumi is undeniable. I have x1 scope and spa when the fight is cqc,and 3,4 scope and hva when the fight is long.

About the Naginata,you must find the trick with the weapon and that is to strafe.

But there are ns weapons like the pilot or decimator that are op,like ns11 and ns15.
  15. Liewec123

i do like the idea of a big meaty explosive machine gun for NC :p
  16. MichaelMoen

Large AoE but low damage = Spawn and corner camping for kill assists in facility fights. Getting caught in the open with something like that would guarantee a loss every time in an environment where rate of fire dictates who wins a firefight. This just sounds like taking the Thumper and giving it a larger capacity drum. I'm more on board with the slow RoF but very high damage LMG cause at least with that each round you fire hits hard, giving you a chance to win engagements if the enemy player is taken by surprise or fails on accuracy.

A full auto Bishop would've been nice.
  17. Novgdea

Looks like the NC copy of the lasher.
  18. Demigan

I think you have the wrong idea of the grenade machinegun. It would be closer to the SAW than the thumper. For example 60% of its damage would still be in direct damage so direct hits are still the norm and the "decent AOE" would not damage entire rooms but more people adjacent to your target. It's shells would still fly around like those of an LMG rather than the arcing shots of a thumper.

I think the Dragoon suffers from it's automatic ability. It's designed for long-range engagements, being automatic increases the chance you fire a shot that goes off-target. Semi-auto means you have control over when and where the shot is fired. The times you need it in CQC happen less often than when you miss a shot due to thos feature. So I would be against automatic Bishops unless you had the option to switch back to semi-auto.
  19. OneShadowWarrior

Get Doku back in here to design!