[Suggestion] Nerf / Balance Banshee

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tr34, May 11, 2021.

1. Tr34

This trend is really annoying, they instantly kill infantry, maxes without having a good counter.
    PPA was nerfed back then, why can't we have Banshee(and maybe Airhammer) nerfed like PPA?
    It's unnecessarily too much rewarding while having very low skill requirement.
    • Up x 5
  2. JustGotSuspended

We could throw in the vulcan and other a2g options into this as well. It leaves no counter and is extremely rewarding, yet takes little to no skill to use. Why?!??!?
    • Up x 1
  3. UberNoob1337101

A damage reduction would be welcome.

Even with Heavy Assault overshield and Flak Armor, my character gets deleted by a mossi in a fraction of a second, and with almost all damage being AoE I don't understand what I'm supposed to do in this situation to survive longer. Guess I'll just die when up against banshee mossies?

Just to prove it's OP, here's the

ESF AI KPH :

ESF AI KPU :

ESF AI avg. BR :

ESF AI total kills :

To summarise - Banshees kill 2 to 3 times as many planetmans as the other noseguns, kill 3 to 4 times as many per hour while killing at least 50% more infantry per pulled banshee mosquito while the pilots in question are the same BR or lower than Mustang AH/LPPA users.

Make them work for their kills, at least with Mustang I actually have to aim.
    • Up x 6
  4. JustGotSuspended

Not to mention most the time if you die shooting your launcher at the esf the rocket vanishes. So many times I should've gotten a hit but they killed me so fast the rocket I shot that would've hit them just evaporated in midair.

Not even that just the sort of rng and close distance you need to get to avoid the pellet spread and harsh damage drop-off makes it a bit harder to use. Still super cancerous on the receiving end, but a bit harder to use than a banshee.
    • Up x 1
  5. RabidIBM

"without having a good counter"..."It leaves no counter"...Please imagine the following list being read in a Mr. Plinkett voice:
    -Nemesis/Hawk/Grounder
    -Annihilator
    -Striker
    -Burster
    -Skyguard
    -Walker
    -Ranger
    -The AP cannon of any tank other than the Powler
    -Literally any A2A build of ESF
    -Dalton in the right hands
    -or the masses of potential victims all noticing the threat and shooting it with their primaries because that works too.

The only nerf I would support for air to ground would be smaller magazines because the style is too forgiving of missing. Less total ammo might also be warranted to make it a role which delivers striking power, but has little staying power.

Otherwise this post looks like "Scissors are OP, Rock is balanced. Sincerely, Paper". I get that we all have a favorite playstyle, and for some people that is to play infantry with exclusively anti infantry kit, which will be particularly powerful against enemy infantry to accounted for the reality of there being non-infantry things to shoot at in this game, so not all their kit is good for shooting you. But if you're going to play Paper, you have to recognize that Scissors exist too, and maybe you should learn to flex to Rock.
  6. UberNoob1337101

lol.

I get it's a general response to A2G, but Banshees specifically? :D
    • Up x 1
  7. RabidIBM

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make there UberNoob, you took two things out of my list and "lol"ed at them. They both work, have you ever heard Reaver or Sythe pilots complain about the Striker? They go on and on...at least the ones who only play one faction do. So again, I'm not really sure what your point is.
  8. UberNoob1337101

You're correct about the air counters, as they can output great DPS once massed, and both the G2A lock-ons and Striker are good at what they do, it's just that I found it funny to bring them up in a nerf banshee thread.
  9. JustGotSuspended

LOL unironically citing lock-ons as a viable means of AA automatically deserves a downvote
    • Up x 1
  10. JustGotSuspended

What doesn't? A bunch or archer engineers or godsaw heavies can shred an armor column if you have enough of them. AA stacks. A2G stacks, like everything in the game!

Should be balanced around a 1v1 scenario, and it'll balance out in larger encounters as well. Obviously a banshee main charging 50 AA maxes head on shouldn't live. That doesn't mean AA is good. An air zerg can deal much more damage.
    • Up x 2
  11. BlackFox

We need overall more effective AA, the only real options are either own pilots, tank cannons or the T2 Striker for the TR. Making aircrafts more fragile through buffing the AA would solve a lot of problems
    • Up x 3
  12. FLHuk

:clears throat:

We've been over this ground time and time and time and time.... Long before this group of weps were in the game. The first BR100 on Lithcorp was an ESF ground pounder, simple QED. They didn't need this group of nose guns, the end.

But here we are, soooo....
    We've been over this ground time and time and time and time.... A ground nose gun, whatever the name, has the choice of engagement, how long to stay, how high, how low, how to engage and when to leave, he can even press his horn if he so wishes and laugh. When leaving can do so VERY effectively both in breaking locks, aim and speed of exit.

You only have to watch some of the fly swatter vids to see VERY experienced pilots being so over confident due to the above it's laughable.

So that's a lot of the counter list dealt with even before this group of nose guns came into being.

Then there's the "You have to be carrying/equiping the counter before the pilot does any of the deciding". Long established as counter productive, unrewarding, boring as hell gameplay.

----
    Now please, do carry on :)
    • Up x 3
  13. JustGotSuspended

Exactly.

Keep in mind the point of AA is to deter air, nothing more. Which means if you're successful at AA you are basically just scaring the aircraft to another HEX without killing it. If you switch back or let your guard down, you or your team can be wiped out in an instant if it comes back.

So you'll rarely kill air, and the pilot will bail anyways 99% of the time. You can't kill anything with AA, it's meant more like "noise", something to scare the pilot. So you're just wasting your time carrying poor equipment to perhaps scare away a noob pilot for a few minutes. Would basically amount to trying to get rid of a fly in your house by yelling at it.

Meanwhile the A2G pounder kills a dozen guys in one swoop.
  14. FLHuk

Yup, I used to live in Skyguards, 3900+ kills.

Gave up after the, wtf you done and why, update to them as Libs just started face tanking while laughing.

Another thing the game just didn't and does not need.
  15. RabidIBM

How can I put this? The source of my sarcasm is that your complaining is very revealing. In a similar example, I can easily pick out the people who only play one faction. They are the people who complain incessantly about faction balance. When I call then on it, and ask them what battle rank they've achieved on the faction they are insisting is OP, they assure me that they don't need to play the faction to know that it is OP. I guess the Dunning Kruger effect is all they need to be sure of themselves. That, and griping about balance is acting like an emotional pain pill, the victim roll saves them from having to face the fact that they aren't as skilled as they want to believe they are.

Moving closer to the topic at hand here, about air to ground being supposedly impossible to counter. I suppose if you play by yourself in an MMO, and bring a specialized kit load out, then any target you didn't specialize for is going to seem OP. I can assure you that your reflexive dismissal of lock ons is just plain wrong. Sure they're not as good as bursters, that's because MAXes cost 450 nanite, where as lock ons are the things I use to quickly swat the air away for free, before switching to the role I actually intend to play. I can assure you however that I have scored many, many lock on hits. What kills me when I'm doing this is usually not AtG, it's snipers. Locking on means I have to stand somewhere with line of sight to the enemy, and stay zoomed in for several seconds. Sure it's better to do this from cover against lower angles, but that isn't always possible. The fact is that sniper counters lock on heavy. That doesn't mean that sniper is OP, it just means that they are the paper to my rock. If I started making posts griping that sniper is OP because they always kill me while I'm shooting down aircraft, that would make about as much sense as this thread.

Just as I can spot the people who only play one faction based on who is griping about faction balance, I can also spot the players who don't flex roles very much or at all because they gripe about role balance. If you are having trouble with a particular role killing you, play with a team and figure out who is going to play what role, and play off each others strengths to be a successful team. This game is MMO, it is not about 1v1 duels. Sure, the best players can all hold their own if they end up in duels, but they don't set out to find them. The most successful players in this game play with teams who know who's doing what. Whatever you throw at them, they have a guy for that, whenever you think you're head to head with one of them, they have an extra guy at your flank.

Tldr, stop whining. This is a team game with a variety of rolls. Find friends to roll with whose roles complement your role. Learn to play more than one role. Read the play, and play the role that is needed when it's needed, even if it isn't your favorite.
    • Up x 1
  16. MonnyMoony

Banshee is a ridiculous weapon and could do with a nerf. Even a full heath Max with top rank ordnance or kinetic armour can be one clipped - especially if the ESF leads or follows with a LOLpod volley.

Also, why do we have AI weapons that can deal both direct and indirect damage - yet there is no composite armour option on infantry or maxes that allows you to partially mitigate both damage types.
    • Up x 1
  17. OneShadowWarrior

They’ve nerfed it to many times already.

You know if anti air weapons actually worked the problem would be solved.
    • Up x 2
  18. adamts01

Double direct damage, back to pre CAI levels, and halve splash radius. Ground will be happy, and as a pilot I'd happily sacrifice anti-infantry ability to he able to use it for A2A again.
    • Up x 1
  19. Somentine

This is the exact same rhetoric used back when the Zephyr could one clip an entire squad.

tl;dr - it's a garbage argument.
    • Up x 3
  20. Tr34

I didn't mean there's no counter, I think there's no good counter because look at banshee, It's so easy to delete an infantry or max with it. But we can't counter them as easy like that. One shotting banshees with slow-reloading ap cannons is a lot harder than using a prowler. Or trying to lock on a mossie that hides and peeks very often. Striker-like weapon would be better in that situation but other factions don't have access to it. AA weapons have very low TTK to burst-damage them before they hide and come back. Engineer's AV turret was a good counter back then against all ESFs but they got their range nerfed. Reducing Banshee's TTK would solve this balance issue.
    • Up x 2