Optimization

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KripTed, May 1, 2021.

1. KripTed

Can we get some? I mean even with new hardware this game has terrible frames during intense battles.
    • Up x 3
  2. KripTed

The game will get like 180 fps. Then all of a sudden drop down anywhere between the 60’s to 90’s. Depending on locations such as Bio Labs and etc it can even drop down to 57. The game needs better optimization.

i7-11700k
    RTX 2070 Super
    32GB of RAM (4000MHz)
  3. Demigan

We have some. Don't complain about "only" getting 57 FPS. Sounds more like you are boasting about your rig than truly complaining.

As for true optimization, its an old game engine. To truly optimize it any further you would need to build a new game engine and somehow port it all over. Its easier to build a new game on a new engine.

This is the practically the only game capable of having a reasonable 100v100v100 battle in one base while another large scale battle takes place somewhere else. Compare that to games that forcefully limit themselves at 64 player battles due to the exponential internet traffic for each player added unless you use something like the latency system.
  4. Liewec123

Last time they gave us 'optimisation', they gutted the graphics.
    I actually think we should be heading in the other direction and bringing back graphical options.
    My comp is only a little better than yours but I'd be more than willing to
    sacrifice some of my frames for something that looks closer to old planetside.
    • Up x 2
  5. KripTed

When you get 200+ frames when there's no battles, but when battles start it drops down to the 60 - 90's, that's not having some optimization. I understand frames won't be constantly consistent. This game runs better at 1080p than 1440p. Don't give me that bs about how they need to create a new engine. If they actually knew the engine, they'd be able to optimize it for current hardware and CPU's as well as resolutions. They just don't know the engine, so they come up with the lame excuse you're giving me right now. It's not easier to build a new game on a new engine. They just need to hire someone who knows the engine and can deliver optimization, since all the original creators/developers are gone.

Boasting about my rig? No. I want a steady 60 fps all around for everyone during intense battles. If the 100v100v100 is the reasoning for the terrible performance. Then I'd gladly go to 64 player limit. The player base is dying as we speak anyways. I also stated my specs in hopes maybe someone in this company might do something.

New hardware can barely run the game and old hardware can barely get 60 fps. We can add useless campaigns that server no purpose and a storm as well that literally is an eye sore, but we can't have a performance boost? We can have a confusing yet no reasoning for it, containment site, but yet no performance optimization? If they seriously don't know the engine, then hire someone who does and stop making lame excuses for it.

No way, the way PlanetSide 2 looks is amazing. At times this game looks beautiful, until you get a massive battle, then RIP frames. It's possible to have the visuals we have now and optimization. It's just these developers clearly don't know the engine. That's what it boils down to.
  6. JustGotSuspended

not to mention they broke so many things we could barely play for a week.
    • Up x 1
  7. Liewec123

it can look "ok" if you play on ultra, but still nothing like how it used to look.
    totally agree about the devs not knowing what they are doing though,
    i'm glad we got godrays back but i don't feel confident that these devs can do much more than that XD
  8. netBattler

Lol I agree that the game could use some optimizations, but my specs are:
    i9 10900KF
    RTX 2080
    DDR4 64GB @ 3600MHz

I get around 100 FPS in big fights. Your system isn't thaaaaat different from mine, so I'm wondering why the discrepancy.

Anyway, while I agree having things like engine optimizations and Nvidia Reflex would be reaaaallly nice - I just don't know if Daybreak has the manpower/skill to do it rn.
  9. Demigan

Wishful thinking does not make it true. You might as well ask for 1000v1000v1000 battles at 60FPS for everyone, claim you are wanting that for everybody and that the developers should know their engine well enough to "just" optimize it.

The problem is that many features of the game have to be removed and rebuild on top of the new changes or they can't handle it. This requires an amazing amount of knowledge of the engine and how a single line of code somewhere between the thousands upon thousands of other lines of code can affect some other lines of code that may not seem to be connected at first. This isn't just some developer trick or a convenient lie, this is literally how it is.
    For your convenience, think of a house of cards. You build several layers, and now you have to change a few cards near the bottom to another type of card. You can't just take the cards out and replace them, you need to take all the cards that rest on it away too. Worse is that this analogy doesn't even cover how when you replace those cards that were resting on it before might need to be altered to actually fit with the new cards you placed to optimize it.

Again at some point it's easier to simply build a new engine and new game rather than take the current one apart, make the necessary changes and still make sure that everything you had before is compatible with the new changes.
  10. KripTed

When playing at 1080p it's better. It's just when I get into 1440p, frames can take a massive dip during intense battles. I don't get it. I played Warzone and I was getting like 130 fps with DLSS on. Newer games run decent at 1440p. Tomb Raider gets decent FPS. GTA V gets in the 130's as well. This game will have 180-200 frames, and then bam, down to 90, then down to 70, then down to 60 and then 57, then back up to 100+ when it's just TR around. I guess I'll really know if I can ever get my hands on a 3070 or 3080. I heard a 2070 isn't the best at 1440p, a 2080 would be the better option.

Well. I'd prefer 144Hz and 144 frames for everyone. But I can't sit there and buy everyone a brand new computer now can I? Not to mention the fact you can literally tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps.

Exactly, this requires an amazing amount of knowledge that these developers don't posses. It's possible to put this game in DX12. But nope. It's possible to add better support for higher resolutions. It's possible to give us DLSS, etc etc. The game has been out for 10 years. If you don't know the code by now, you never will. There's such things as freelancers and the ability to outsource and work for hires. Sure. I understand code can be difficult, but I personally just believe they don't know how or just don't care.
  11. OneShadowWarrior

They do have lots of features they need to have streamlined with DX11. The Graphics settings are very much the same since release, same with audio.

A graphics fidelity update is definitely overdue.
    • Up x 1
  12. KripTed

Yea, something needs to be done here. I'd just like to see higher frames on higher resolutions. Even going to DX12 or having DX11 and 12 as an option and switch between the two? I mean the game is 10 years old. It shouldn't run bad on newer hardware.
  13. Demigan

Funny how you claim the developers dont have the knowledge, but you can claim that it is possible to "just" upgrade the code. If you have such in-depth knowledge about the game engine why don't you go and introduce yourself and join the developer team?

Hell just googling it I found claims that games need to be build from the ground up to support dx12 and that different .exe's need to be made for some games to allow running in either dx11 or 12. Its never as simple as "just optimize it".

Look sure everyone wants a potato computer to be able to run any game on max settings and 10.000fps. But there are limits, and wishful thinking like "but its out for some time now surely they can add it" does not suddenly make it possible.
  14. KripTed

I never claimed to have knowledge. That's not what I get paid for, that's not my job. If it was, I'd be doing it. I'm not running a potato though, that's the problem bud. This game runs like trash and soon enough, no one will be supporting this game. This company is lucky the die hard fans like me are willing to give them cash.

The game is already running in DX11. Clearly they can do that right? If they can't do DX12 then ffs, just remaster the game. There's other things they could give us, such as DLSS. That stuff increases frames on higher resolutions like crazy. The game has been out for 10 years and it still runs bad. Nothing has been done on making this game run better or remastering the game or introducing new features for current hardware. I suggested hiring a freelancer or a work-for-hire and try and get the job done. Since clearly the old people who made this game, are gone and the people we have now, don't have a clue about this engine. It's the Forgelight Engine and was created by SOE. Change the engine then, remaster the game, contact the old developers, hire someone, do something.

And for the record. At least I'm trying to propose solutions or ideas to make the game better. You rather sit there and disregard it. As well as support the fact nothing has been done for 10 years on the technical front.
  15. Demigan

I dont "just sit there and disregard it". I just don't propose wishful thinking as hard facts that the devs should be able to do more but are incapable.

Take DLSS, for starters this is purely an improvement for raytracing based games. That means they would have to rebuild much of the graphics engine and there's a good chance that current models and environmenrs can't be ported to the raytracing engine, requiring you to either redo every item and piece of technology in the game or alter each one to play nice. Unfortunately one of the things PS2 did was use a trick on those models for optimization purposes in order to allow 300 people to fight in one base. Oops, your optimization idea might just have broken the game.
    But is this even useful? its a Nvidea only graphics card with raytracing ability, the first cards coming out only 3 years ago. This means you are doing this for a small costumer base and none of the average pc consumerbase will actually have one. The average consumer pc in America in for up to 2019 was about 630 dollars, the cheapest RTX card right now is 350+. Paying half the computers worth in just the graphics card isnt worth it and not something most would do (and if you do your pc wont be using it to its full potential).
    So you would be upgrading the game for a small playerbase who dont really need it as they reach 60+FPS anyway and any problems they have is a luxury problem.

Your idea's are extremely likely to just break the game rather than improve it. The game started out as DX10 and is now on DX11. Upgrading it further is likely not easy because it's an old game.

Now I might not suggest optimization ideas but theres a reason for that: I know that it is hard to "just" optimize a game. There are no guarantees that any work on optimization even pay off due to how old the engine is and the fact that not even the original devs know how it works anymore due to how much it has already been changed and optimized. If there is an optimization possible I dont know how it would be done so I'm not going to name modern optimizations I heard about and blame the devs for not doing their job without researching what they do or if they are compatible with older technologies that PS2 is build on.
  16. InexoraVC

what can be done right now to minimize fps jitter:
    1. use Smoothing. Turn it on in useroptions.ini:
    Smoothing=1
    SmoothingMaxFrameRate=144
    SmoothingMinFrameRate=20
    Where
    144 - is your display refresh rate in Hz
    20 - minimum FPS to turn smoothing on. If you have fps below 20, smoothing will turn off
    2. increase the amount of prerendered frames in your GPU settings. Set it at least to 2

3. turn off the vsync or set it to adaptive.

4. turn on shader caching

5. lower your resolution. Lowering resolution mostly affects large fights performance, e.g. 1440p -> 1080p = +20fps in biolabs

Gtx 1060 6gb + Xeon1660v2 @4.1Ghz + 32 gb RAM = 85..87 fps in large biolabs fights.
  17. KripTed

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

Look. All they need to do is remaster the game or change engines. And all the nonsense you're spewing about it being difficult and not working or breaking things would be practically non-existent. If nothing gets done eventually soon, I'm sure I'll be unsubscribing. Unlike you and other people, I tend to speak with my wallet. The rest of you people should do the same. I guarantee you things would change if we all stopped giving them money.
  18. Demigan

I know of games in development that switched from one Unreal Engine to the next for the advantages it would give them. It also meant they had to redo almost every asset, physics, interaction and model either from the ground up or alter much of their core coding to make them compatible. And that is for the Unreal Engines, which are designed to be open and accessible plus build with knowledge of the previous engine. This is a process of months and sometimes years. And again that was for games that weren't even finished yet.

This isn't easy, and you've shown a complete lack of knowledge on the subject but keep claiming that everything is easy and quick. Take your DLSS claim which you proposed as solution for everyone's framerates. Its actually only for newer PC's and only the ones who bought a specific graphicscard line from a specific manufacturer. On top of that its only for games that can even run a technology that didn't even exist in PS2's time and that most games today still dont get when they come out.

Your expectations are based on ignorance and with the way you are acting I'm going to have to add stupidity to that as well. Do some research. For example look into DX11 and DX12 and you may find that its not as easy to switch because they work on different technologies and libraries. But you don't know that because you see "DX12 is basically DX11+1 so they must be compatible and close technologies!" And then stop looking any further.

If you stop paying with your wallet the only thing the devs can do is an informational campaign to cure your ignorance. Unfortunately it then hits your stupidity which says "its just an excuse and I know better!".
  19. JibbaJabba

Only way this will get better is if Planetside 3 is run in say Azure and the client side computations done in the cloud then video streamed. Input lag from hell but you'll get pegged framerates. :p

Folks need to come to grips with what this game does.

The network compensation and optimization cannot be done server side with this many players. So your client has to do it.

The graphics and rendering engine are fine. They don't break a sweat. That is why you get 150-200fps at max settings in the warpgate. DX11 / 12 doesn't have **** to do with it.

The framerate dips when your client has to deal with 200 other players. The server will try to cull network objects but when it all gets on your screen your CPU is gonna eat it.

You can potato.ini for another 20-50fps. Beyond that it's gonna be all CPU. High IPC and clockspeed.

I'm running:
    Intel 8086k (4-5ghz)
    2070 oc
    4ghz memory

No idea what my framerate is.. It works so I stopped looking. I think it dips close to 100 in 96+/96+ but never below.
    • Up x 2
  20. KripTed

Well. I seem to have managed to get it to never dip below 90 fps so far. This is by grabbing MSI Afterburner and overclocking my core clock just to 50-100MHz and Memory to 50-100MHz and enabling adaptive vsync. I didn't test it out that long though so, who knows.

Funny how when I overclock my GPU a tad, the game doesn't dip below 90 now. I know the game can be CPU intensive, but if you press ALT F or whatever, you see it uses both GPU and CPU. If it were truly just a CPU problem, then why do newer CPUs have a hard time handling it? There's only two games that run this bad. That's Guild Wars 2 and PlanetSide 2. Made roughly around the same time/year. Funny how that is.

The game is just bad even on newer CPUs and GPUs. It's just poor coding and the fact they aren't adding the game to recognize multiple CPUs, threads, cores, and clock speeds. Probably with GPUs as well. Afterburner shows the game literally being roughly around the same usage for the GPU and CPU. I understand the CPU "eating" it when the game first came out back in the day. But CPUs nowadays, should have no problem handling it. This boils down to poor coding, nothing more. Try again please.