Gunplay is lame and underwhelming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by netBattler, Apr 30, 2021.

1. netBattler

Cone of fire bloom is ridiculous sometimes on almost all guns, even when aimed down sights. I hate when my red dot is literally on a target and because the cone of fire bloom + RNG makes it so that my bullets leave my barrel at impossible angles and I miss my target.

Why can't gunplay be like Apex Legends and just let you hit what you aim at?

Don't even tell me to burst fire.
    • Up x 2
  2. JustGotSuspended

just burst fire?

it's nice to have a game that rewards skill. Horizontal recoil is a bit more annoying since it's random and can't be compensated, but the cof and all makes sense, and gives a possibility for people to react even when they are shot at first, and rewards people for mastering their weapon.
    • Up x 1
  3. TR5L4Y3R

go play apex then or adapt ... and burst fire
  4. Pikachu

Since I am ignorant of modern shooters I must ask... is blooming COF not the norm in games?
  5. Demigan

"It is lame and underwhelming... because I can't deal with more than point&click shooters".

PS2 isn't designed to be as point&click as most shooters (with the exception of a few weapons). Learn trigger discipline.
    • Up x 1
  6. Awal305

Not really. Some games these days have no bloom, but will either kick hard off target between shots or the recoil of the gun is crazy to control and can takes weeks of practice to learn to actually shot it strait. That is what kind of was throwing me off when I came back to this game. You actually need to let off, where as in some of the other games I play, I can put all 30 bullets on target after I've developed the muscle memory to correct for each of the 30 bullet pattern. Basically, if you can keep your crosshairs on target you hit full auto, where as in PS2 the longer you stay full auto, the bullets spread all over even if you have your hairs on target.
  7. netBattler

I would argue that it takes more skill to compensate for difficult recoil. The problem is that even if you theoretically perfectly compensate for recoil in planetside, there's still an RNG element in the cone of fire, and the cone of fire gets wider every shot. I'm not complaining about recoil at all. It's the RNG on a wide COF.

CoF actually doesn't make that much sense while aimed down sights. It only makes sense while hipfiring. IRL, a gun will hit reasonably close to whatever its sights are zeroed on because modern manufacturing processes are that precise. CoF while aimed down sights isn't a thing IRL. The tolerances on a gun are too tight.
  8. Somentine

That's deterministic recoil, like in CS; which I think is overall a better mechanic because you can both control bursts and spray, without RNG determining much of the outcome.

That being said, I wouldn't call PS2 lame at all. By far the most overall fun i've had in a FPS game, even if RNG sometimes bends you over.
    • Up x 2
  9. netBattler

Apex isn't point & click. There's a lot of recoil, both horizontal and vertical. But it rewards you for somewhat controlling it. And it also has high TTKs compared to other games like Planetside does.

What I am really asserting is that RNG+CoF is not very applicable to aiming down sights IRL. This is accurately portrayed in other titles. Especially with light based optics like reflex and holographic sights.

Now don't even tell me, "If you like real guns so much then just go join the Army." Lmao
  10. netBattler

Yes, CS has deterministic recoil. Apex does not. You can't memorize exact recoil patterns.
  11. Somentine

Yeah, was talking about Awal's post, just didn't quote it and you ended up posting a few mins before.
  12. netBattler

ah oops lol
  13. Demigan

Actually it's very applicable. While aiming down sights and firing it's very hard to keep your eye perfectly straight with the red dot. It's not as if your head jumps up and down with the recoil. Having a simultaneous COF+recoil system simulates that very well, on top of that it rewards players for both their actual aim+recoil compensation and their ability to make accurate guesstimates about how much it is worth to keep firing with your current accuracy and enemy health.
    COF with ADS makes perfect sense, more so than Apex's system.
  14. netBattler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

Actually, one of the biggest advantages of a red dot sight is that your eye doesn't have to be lined up perfectly with the housing of the sight for the reticle to remain on its zero from your perspective. Sure iron sights are different story.

Honestly, not trying to antagonize you, but I don't think you have a point there.
  15. OneShadowWarrior

Compared to games like COD and Apex the gunplay can be underwhelming, but the game is 8 years old.
  16. Gutseen

easily dealt with a macro. To the point that one can shoot a saw with a X6 scope with pinpoint accuracy
  17. gunnner10

This game Absolutely does NOT reward skill. Cone of fire doesn't even exist in the real world, and this game abuses it. Coming from an X-unreal tournament player, this game is the least Skill based of any FPS I've ever played
  18. JustGotSuspended

sure sounds like it
    • Up x 1
  19. DarkStarAnubis

PS2 rewards cheese tactics. that's for sure.

Those tactics may even require effort to be gained (e.g climbing over walls, reverse manoueuvre, ADADing and bunny hopping, peeking to exploit lagside, base knowledge to go in that specific corner opening a certain lane of fire, burst firing with or without a macro, ..) whether to equate that to skills is subjective however.
    • Up x 1
  20. Demigan

Games like UT mostly work with twitch gameplay and pinpoint-accuracy. PS2 has a mechanic on top of that by using COF, more mechanics to learn and master rather than less. COF does exist in the real world, as both the weapons we use won't have a perfect shot every time even if you aim them using mechanical implements and while handling the weapon your weapon will move constantly. COF is a simulation of handling a weapon. That is why COF is larger when you are walking over standing or in crouch, as the stability your character can give each shot is lower and they simulate that.

I understand that many players who prefer having to think of only one thing (like just having to aim) would think that having to deal with COF and the chance-calculations it involves while doing a fight is a bad thing. But you cannot pretend that it is less skillful or it does not reward skill. It does shift the reward for skill over a larger amount of skillsets to master since you can't survive on perfect aim alone (with most weapons).

I can't deny that the game has many wrong incentives and you do have cheese methods to murder people, but to say it's the least skill based of any FPS you've played (assuming you've played a few more than UT) is either lying or just plain hate towards a system you apparently fail to master.