Repost: Misuse of Observer cam LIVE

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JustGotSuspended, Apr 19, 2021.

1. DarkStarAnubis

1) you can do anything you want there is freedom of speech here, thanks God neither Russia nor China
    2) you opinion is that someone else opinion is ridiculous but in your own words, it doesn't make you right, correct?

Think about it a little bit...

One more time you do not get it. Higby wouldn't have allowed that b.s. in the first place...
  2. OldSchoolD

I don't see the commotion here, Cyrious has been using the observer cam in his live streams several times before to pass info to his buddies, Wrel probably gave it to him personally. Those 2 guys, like them or not, may be the only reason this game is still afloat.

More so, Cyrious did not cheat, he only used certain privileges to ensure a publicity stunt, which is in our interest, went on undisturbed.

Now don't get me wrong, the guy is mental, and I am very critical of how Wrel has spent resources on this game lately, but I cannot understand how people can get all pent up about such a petty thing.

There's abhorrent bugs and feats like invisible guys with 1 shot-knife weapons and hordes of non-rendering high ping players abusing the code weaknesses right now that are much more problematic. There's no way to retain new players, they cannot get A7, implants, certs, you name it.

The game is choppy, the server latency is all over the place lately. two out of four continents are still defaced, and this is suddenly the big issue? o_O
    • Up x 1
  3. Somentine

I'm not playing with your trash rhetoric; the questions I asked were very direct, and you've pointedly avoiding answering them:

1. What are the significant implications, exactly?
    2. Would it be fine if it was Higby? No, I don't care whether you think it would or wouldn't happen under Higby, it may have, it may not have, the entire event may not have happened at all; it is irrelevant to what i'm asking.
    3. What ongoing problems in game has this caused that need to be fixed?
  4. csvfr

Cyrious has access to the observer cam for content creation purposes. This is by itself beneficial for our interests. Ideally he would be using the cam for this specific purpose only and in a responsible way, but apparently this is not the case. Any 96+ harasser race across the fronts will naturally draw some attention on a live server and some confrontations are to be expected. It seems like Cyrious was disinterested in the streamer role then and rather felt the need to intervene. In doing so acting more like a biased rogue GM, making up rules on the go as well as accusing unrelated others of violating these rules. This last part is hardly in our common interests.

While this particular event did not affect too many negatively, it does highlight the topic of streamer privilege, and if that is something we as a community want in the game. If the answer is no then sanctions are justified against Cyrious, especially if caught misusing the observer cam repeatedly.
    • Up x 2
  5. DarkStarAnubis

Mate,

You can't communicate without insulting: the opinions of others are ridiculous and trash... So this will be my last answer to you:

1. We have now a game in which normal players may be helped (or the opposite) by privileged players using an observer cam. And that is fine for whoever manages the game. Hint: look at the dictionary to understand what "observer" and "fairness" mean

2.i stated my opinion on this and it may be a shocking surprise but... I don't care what you care or not :D

3. See 1.
  6. RabidIBM

How is this thread still going? Some griefers got spanked, move on.

My lack of concern comes from the fact that I know that I will never be on the receiving end of this. How do I know that? Because after 8 hours of this he finally started using some extreme measures on the absolutely most blatant griefers. I know that I would never do what they were doing, therefore I will never get the response they got.
  7. JustGotSuspended

I'd say after so many years of those things being an issue and ignored, the community just got used to that and brings it up once in a while but doesn't push to much because it's visibly not cared about.
    • Up x 4
  8. Somentine

I can, I just choose not to:

I was fine with you at first, but the more you started spouting nonsense that showed just how little you can validate your reasoning with anything objective and factual, the less I cared about what you actually had to say.

1. Slippery slope for starters.

Second, i'd argue the exact opposite will happen, that anyone even remotely abusing their powers will be made an example of because of this incident.

Third, are you actually suggesting that there was anything 'normal' about that event? I don't know about you, but if I saw Bastions being spawned in, players temp banned, RPG cash and certs handed out, multiple big streamers, Wrelstorms being deleted, Cyrius hosting a number of events (not only the Harasser races), and on and on, I wouldn't call that 'normal'. If the event wasn't 'normal', then any incident within it isn't 'normal' gameplay. But maybe that's just too big brain thinking.

Fourth, and once again, because Cyrius was asked to facilitate the event by RPG, he is no longer just a normal player with Obs cam; if you had any doubt, then Wrel sanctioning his actions ends ALL discussion on that topic.

2. Extreme bias and chocked full of cognitive distortions.

3. It not the same question. I asked for a list of actual problems, not assumptions. What are the actual problems caused (read: happening) by this? Bonus points for solutions to those problems.
  9. DarkQuark

At first I was shocked this struck such a cord with some folks. And out of curiosity I began to dig into this and read many statements and a lot of comments.

It seems to me that there is a precedent for folks abusing such systems as what Cyrious did. And often times those situations ended with a person being fired or banned. This occurred with PS2 and other games.

Unless we want to get into "the ends justifies the means" territory or that only certain people should get special privileges you can only conclude this should not have happened and it was wrong that it did.

Sure the guy does some good for the game but without some sort of integrity the game is dead in the water.
    • Up x 2
  10. Somentine

Sums this up pretty well:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Connery/co...m?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
  11. DarkQuark

• Up x 1
  12. Somentine

Is it really?

He was asked to facilitate an event.
    It was an event; not normal gameplay.
    His actions were monitored by Wrel/RPG.
    Wrel/RPG sanctioned his actions.

The mental gymnastics comes from the people who think anything about this was normal and apply normal rules to it.
  13. DarkQuark

I can see you are very well acquainted with mental gymnastics.
  14. Somentine

I can see you are very well acquainted with mental gymnastics.
  15. Alkasirn

I don't see these things as mutually exclusive. It's all related to: DBG refusing to do anything remotely difficult. There are thousands of really difficult bugs, oh well here's a new gun you can buy. Hossin isn't finished, oh well here are new bases on esamir. A lot of people are participating in a fun event and we know there's "trolls", oh well let's just let this random dude go full vigilante with the observer cam.

The rhetoric everyone seems to have settled on to defend this behavior is "the event could have brought new players into PS2!" (which it didn't, judging by fisu's population graphs.) I wonder if seeing a dude teleport out of thin air and gun down a bunch of people by shooting them in the back made people feel like sticking around.

If DBG wanted to attract new players, they could have tried something to attract new players. Instead, they simply let everyone logged in do whatever they want. Wow. What a great job.

In any game with a trusted developer, the story would've been "Streamer jumped out of observer cam to shoot people in the back - they've now permanently lost the ability to use observer cam" But around here, the thought that DBG should have done something doesn't even cross our minds! We're just so used to the idea that DBG will put the absolute bare minimum effort into everything it does...
    • Up x 3
  16. DarkQuark

This is a great take on it and maybe gets at the heart of the situation.

The bottom line though ,I believe, is the game looses a lot of integrity over this and the attempted rationalization to try to make it seem right just makes it that much worse.
  17. JustGotSuspended

Yeah it's weird logic. They give special treatment to a group of players, under the pretext of advertising the game. Yet they can't advertise the game because they are given an extraordinary experience. Even if players are attracted to the game by that bizarre stream, they won't have realistic expectations of the game.

And even if they know they aren't going to get the experience advertised in the stream, well they'd leave because of the countless outstanding issues that make the game seem unfinished and scary to new players. Many of the issues are know, solutions have been discussed even by the lead dev in his videos back when he did youtube, and yet have never been addressed.

Pretty hypocritical to act like a few dudes tryna kill other dudes in an FPS game is what's driving new players away. Borderline delusional. But whatever I guess.

Thing is apparently they have done that to select people before. "Select" being the key word. Also they ban/rename over weird things, but not blatant cheating? Lol they do put effort, I truly believe they do their best to ruin the game!