[Suggestion] Connery Emerald Merge

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JustGotSuspended, Apr 13, 2021.

1. JustGotSuspended

As the title suggests, I think it's time to merge Emerald and Connery, potentially cobalt and miller together as well.

There's just not enough fights to produce a fun experience, even with the new map restrictions.

Many players I know have already started new characters on other servers or quit completely for that reason. Since most people are just migrating through new alts, might as well be time to officialize the merge so people can have their mains transferred.
    • Up x 8
  2. melioa

I agree, they need to merge them, so we can transfer our main characters, as starting a new character may be fun to some people, but gets annoying the Grind that you have to do with your stats. Even with boost's, it is still a slow Grind to get to where your main character is at. That will put people off and to quit the game for good. So they should merge the servers.
    • Up x 3
  3. CarlAdam

I agree with this, and maybe with some better servers since they'll need less of them, bigger and better experience.
    • Up x 5
  4. Bonemiser

My first (and honestly only) thought:
    How will this affect Australian and Chinese players that are currently playing on Connery? Would the merged server be located on the East Coast or West Coast? If East, how much harder would these players lag? Would the merge have a negative influence on the player culture of ConnEmerald?
    Just a discussion point to consider.
  5. JustGotSuspended

Since a majority of playerbase is from emerald, the connery players would transfer. As for culture and lag, ofc there would be some negative effects. However as I specified connery players are/have already migrated there, so it's something we'll find out anyways. Too late to reflect on the consequences I guess.

Overall it would be a positive merge because it would create more/larger fights, which should help most players stick around longer. Better to have a half decent server than to have 2 dead ones.
    • Up x 2
  6. RabidIBM

Nope, I'll go to bat for my Aussie and Kiwi friends and say that this would be terrible because it would force some players out of the game entirely. I'm ok with playing under-certed alts when Connery is having quiet hours.

I'd say that the incremental continent unlock would solve the problem if done right. It just needs the numbers and times that each stage unlocks at to be tuned, and it needs the right mid size. The pretzel is bad because the lanes can't interact with each other. All we needed was the fat center lane that was used for 45 minute alerts.
  7. adamts01

Things are bad. Early Sunday evening and Connery can barely keep a continent open. Meanwhile Emerald had to open a 2nd. It might be time for players to force this merge. Connery is dead. It's a shame to leave my 3 well certed Connery characters behind, but I've had more fun on emerald as a BR1 on my new alts simply because there are people to shoot. Multiple good fights going on at a time. What's Connery like? On a weekend no less? 1 good fight on the map, and a 30% chance your faction isn't involved in it.
    • Up x 4
  8. JustGotSuspended

yeah it's annoying because I started on emerald, but had to move to connery later on. Once I started maining on connery I lost track of a lot of my accounts, and now I'm left with a half complete character on only one faction on emerald. The fights are much better there, and as much as I hate not having my kraken and shiny armors, I play for fights, and connery just can't provide those anymore. Most of the connery playerbase has migrated to other servers as well, I don't think I'll be playing on connery anytime soon because of how dead it is. It's a shame because I had a lot of progress on some characters.

It's frustrating there hasn't been a merge yet.
  9. SteelMantis

I'll probably stop playing if they merge Connery. My ping to Connery is at an acceptable level but Emerald is too far off to enjoy playing on.
  10. adamts01

Know what's better than playing in Connery at 7pm on a weekday? Anything, even posting on these worthless forums. We can't even get a single continent to unlock reliably aside from Friday and Saturday. Pathetic.
    • Up x 4
  11. MichaelMoen

That might not be a bad thing for NC, after all CASL plays on Emerald and they actually get **** done.
  12. Zathial

I would agree we need a merge and transfer servers to a central place in the states just like other games such as League of Legends have done.
    • Up x 2
  13. Atorum

Yes, merge it, let all Asian and Australian laggers come to Emerald, let it be a ****storm. You guys are next level dumb....
  14. LordAnnihilator

According to more than a few people in this thread, its probably needed, as the population apparently isn't enough to sustain fights on Connery. As a perfectly content Miller player, I don't have much opinion on this, but evidently something has to happen soon.
  15. Bonemiser

Leaving Connery players to die as some sort of hacker-magnetic buffer is a real **** long-term plan.
  16. Ravenous Travis

Connery is dying anyways so those who rely on that server for reasonable ping are going to be left in an empty world soon enough. People are moving to Emerald whether they're able to keep their characters or not, but I think for a lot of folks losing your character would be the final push towards quitting ps2. Personally, I canceled my sub and haven't really played recently because of this. No sense paying a monthly sub for a game that feels almost entirely empty during the hours I'm able to play. I'd renew my sub if they'd allow me to migrate my characters to Emerald, but I'm just not willing to start over.
    • Up x 1
  17. Shadowhawk668

My VS and NC characters are on Connery, and every time I play them there's barely anyone around. Most of the time we're locked to Koltyr. I think a merge is what's needed for the server at this point.
  18. ican'taim

ehh... i don't want to be stuck with PaleTiger again so no.
    • Up x 1
  19. VV4LL3

I hope not. That's literally two availability zones, two coasts, 3500 miles apart (~150-300ms away in TCP/ low band IP terms). You'd literally give half of the customers 300ms lag, or both 150ms. Not a good idea. Considering DBG isn't hiring network, database engineers, architects, and has merged a Program Manager's responsibility into a Technical Lead role "Technical Director" I'm fairly certain the executive staff is trying to save too much money on staffing, the single most important asset to any company, and will not entertain a system architecture revamp that would not increase revenue stream. The ROI typically isn't worth it unless it opens up more customers/ markets/ increases revenue. I'd file it under a bad business move. Unhappy customers =/= bad business model.
    • Up x 1
  20. JustGotSuspended

The reason we have to merge is because they made everyone unhappy and driven to leave the game lol.

File it with the infinite other poor business moves they made. Doesn't matter at this point we just need stuff to shoot.