[Suggestion] Please rename the Harasser.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bonemiser, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Bonemiser

Harassment is offensive and has no place in PlanetSide 2.
    • Up x 1
  2. Demigan

This is one of the biggest problems with all people trying to solve things like homofobia, misogony, racism etc. They try to forbid words.

Harassment isn't offensive by itself. And having non-offensive uses is the best way to make a word less powerful. However if you ban the word you are essentially telling the very people you are trying to stop "I don't like this, so next time you want to hurt me just use these words".
    Furthermore you are only convincing people who already think like you do. People who are neutral towards it will get insulted or even mobbed in social media attacks that can have far reaching consequences like losing jobs. This just adds animosity and increases the amount of racists, homofobes etc as they have a genuine bad experience related to them. Yes you are increasing the problem, not reducing it by forbidding words. Which is why this type of activities has to stop.
    The most hypocritical example in my country is a man who got beat up for dressing like a black man by people who tried to stop the "racism" that the man was doing (dressing up for a children's festivity to give them candy and make them happy to see black people, so racist /s).

If you want to solve your problem you need to teach. Most of these problems stem from ignorance and fear. Teach them so they aren't ignorant and don't have reason to have fears. Stop trying to make the problem worse by forbidding words.
    • Up x 3
  3. DarkQuark

I am REALLY hoping the OP was just trying to be funny.

In either case your reply was excellent.

My summation of this type of thing is this. Are their racists in the world? Sure, and they come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religions. You are NOT going to stop anyone from thinking racist by trying to ban everything deemed racist in the least. In fact that only becomes a weapon utilized by bad people because all you have to do is point and say "look a racist" and it drives that stuff underground where it becomes more extreme.

At the end of the day words (not actions) only have the power you assign to them. This roughly translates into offense is taken and not given. Just don't empower hateful people that way, they will always exist and the world will NEVER be free of hateful folks. Hell, just look at Twitter. They should rename it to hate.com and they ban people there if they look at each other funny.

I am not saying hatred (and that's really what we are talking about here) should be celebrated or spread intentionally but you cannot remove people's freedom based on words (unless calls to violence are involved and that is already illegal) or their thoughts. Because then we get into some TRULY scary territory.

True tolerance is based on a mixture of understanding and a "live and let live" mentality. Tolerating only those you agree with but casting everyone else aside is not tolerance. But for many this is what happens because mentally it takes no work.

And the thing everyone needs to understand is bad people who have a self only agenda, will hijack ideas/groups/agendas because they are fine with sowing division/hate/hurt so long as it attains them money and or power. This has gone on since the beginning of time.

To bring this all the way back to the OP. Banning a word that has no hateful connotation because it is a dictionary word that means something bad is beyond ridiculous.

Everything above is simply my opinion.
  4. pnkdth

Honestly thought this was going to be about the harasser being too tough. Hecking bamboozled.
    • Up x 5
  5. Badman76

Should name it Vulcan platform
    • Up x 1
  6. DarkQuark

True dat. The harasser is silly. I understand the firepower and quickness but the armor/health is ridiculous. I am sure it will get cloak next.
  7. JustGotSuspended

takes 2 ppl to get offended.

One who tries to provoke a response (willingly or unwillingly) and the other who feels they have time to waste associating a certain value to the person/words being said - and decide to respond.
  8. ZDarkShadowsZ

Let's change it to the Botherer. Then people can take that word out of context too.
    • Up x 2
  9. Efraim

just because YOU think its "offensive" does not mean we all have to change.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

can we rename the liberator then? it´s such a missleading name for what a tyrant that thing truely is ..
    • Up x 2
  11. DarkQuark

I find the class name "heavy assault" to be offensive. That's not a very body positive name.

Also, why does an engineer have to fix things? I mean what if he feels like he is a medic and wants to heal people? How oppressive is that?

Clearly this whole game is a product of the cis normative power structure designed from the ground up to push down and oppress those whom are different!

Not to mention the game is deeply racist! I don't know how I just know it is!

We must rise up and and force changes to me made so that it's so unfun no one will play it!

"PS2 WE ARE COMING FOR YOU!"

----This was of course hyperbolic sarcasm----
    The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.
  12. Exileant

:confused: There are 15 MILLION things wrong with this planet, and THIS is what you chose to try to stand up for? Stand up for people being murdered for no reason; being imprisoned for less. Police are P.I.T. maneuvering people at 120 miles an hour because kids stole 5 hour energy drinks and GUM!!! Harassers is the name of the car because that is exactly what it does, it harasses other vehicles and then gets killed for it... This is true justice now that I am thinking about it. However I need to say, the way you are looking at it never even crossed my mind until you pointed it out.
    o_O
    If you feel that bad about the name, then take up killing them for all the evil that is done by their supposed namesake.... :D But seriously, make your stand for something more meaningful than this. :p I am sure people victims of ACTUAL Harassment would beat the life out of you if you walked up to them and said: :cool: "Hey, everything is going to be okay, I stood up for you by getting the name of a virtual car changed for you in a 15 year old game."
  13. DarkQuark

You left out the absolute stone cold irony of complaining about the name of a vehicle in a game where you literally shoot each other in the face.

Virtual car name bad, virtual slaughter A OK .
    • Up x 1