False Hackusations

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Dec 7, 2020.

1. pnkdth

I went looking for them threads and found Wrel active almost all of them trying to figure it out (with Drew looking over his shoulder). So I don't think you can honestly say they don't care. Can't really speak for the length of time but it also seems there were different exploits in different times resulting in them radically changing the implants which caused the exploit.
    • Up x 1
  2. Scurge

Yeah this is like the Biolab and other places you can get vehicles into. You know it's an exploit, they know it. Nothing ever happens no matter how much you report it. Same people same thing all the time.
  3. JustGotSuspended

exploiting and hacking are 2 different things. Don't report exploits in game, report through the CS website with screenshots and/or vids.

It's a more frequent occurrence than scripted cheaters, but again, not a significant number to even impact the game. Literally maybe like 1 genius tries doing this every blue moon, and everyone at the fight bullies him out.
  4. JustGotSuspended

it's likely why they removed the reload buff from survivalist. I'm guessing they tried a bit and then eventually went for the easiest option.

No idea why they didn't ban the dude immediately with all the evidence, but definitely a skilless moron I encountered and had fun tracking down and bullying on connery. He probably either quit from all the shaming and targeted bullying he got, or just got eventually banned.

He's just one bad apple in an orchard. Annoying, but he never played much and so few people exploited like him that it hardly made a difference outside the 1v1 vehicle fight.

Valid report, but not a hacker or something I'd over dramatize.
  5. Demigan

Actually they do. But sure I'll drop it.

I can't speak for others, but I used it as evidence that the guy should be more thouroughly investigated.
    On the other hand I've also shown pictures out of another video showing a literal miss turning into a headshot and the thing is that there's too many players that will instantly jump in to defend it with more often than not impossible solutions.

Which begs the question: How much evidence is required for these people to be convinced that subtle cheats exist and need to be caught? Even if a subtle cheater shot someone through a wall on their screen they would go "oh that's just some PS2 artifacts for sure".

How reports are handled are deliberately kept in the dark so players cannot say their personal reports are handled incorrectly.
    Yes there's players who assume the worst, there's also players who assume the best even when evidence is laid in front of them. Which is again why we need to find a middle ground: Cheaters exist. If you have a clear suspision you can report that player. In fact, a player that seems extraordinary lucky should also be reported. Not because you have to immediately believe that the player is cheating, but in case that player is using a subtle cheat that makes it look like luck or skill. If that player is a subtle cheat he'll be investigated faster as more reports will flow in. If it's a one-off then the player will likely never even pop up on RPG's radar, which is how it's supposed to go.

The problem is that people instantly try to polarize it: You either have to believe cheaters are almost mythical in how rare they are or they have to be everyone who ever killed you. That's just not the case.
    • Up x 1
  6. Liewec123

sure they tried fixing the bug, but they didn't ban people who were blatantly exploiting it for months on end.
    this guy was reported so many times, with multiple videos of him melting vehicles,
    he has over 4000 Rocklet kills, his most used weapon by a long way.

i wasn't talking about whether they are fixing the bug or not,
    i was only talking about them not banning this guy while he was being a menace for a year.
  7. MonnyMoony

I don't see why though - both are cheating.

Many times I have found myself clipped or deployed beneath terrain. It would be easy to go on a killing streak, immune to death - but instead I simply redeploy.

Whilst it's easy to inadvertently be advantaged by an exploit every now and again - somebody repeatedly and blatantly taking advantage of exploits (like killing from beneath terrain, instant rocket rifle reload exploit etc) should be treated in exactly the same way as a hacker and banned.
    • Up x 1
  8. DonkeyX

If you don't think certain, rather prevalent outfits aren't cheating then you are in complete denial or this is your first online FPS. It isn't rocket science when average players become god-like killers seemingly overnight when they join those outfits. This is an almost 9-year-old game with dozens of cheats available online. For every obvious cheat (guys sinking into walls or the floor and wiping out squads) there are scores of players using subtle cheats to improve aim or bandwidth limiters. This is the same with any client-side based FPS where transmitted packets can be manipulated.

Daybreak has zero commitment to fighting these cheats, nor do they have the resources to do so. If they patched many of these cheat exploits those same outfits would leave the game entirely and DB revenue would decline. To them it is an acceptable level of cheating to keep the money coming in. The cheating hasn't hit critical mass so they won't do anything about it.
  9. OldSchoolD

Something that wouldn't take money or much time from the devs would be to change the useless, annoying death cam we have now for a spectator mode after death that follows the killer. Many cheating suspicions could be appeased (or confirmed?) that way.

As a downside the dead player could rely info on the killer's movements to allies, but I think in this hectic game it would be of little importance, even cost-benefit worth it.
  10. JustGotSuspended

There's no difference between carbon monoxide and air - both are transparent.

Yes, while exploiting and hacking are forms of cheating just as bad as the other, there is a significant problem in the nature of exploiting. Hacking is done by manipulating files you shouldn't, or running third party programs that do so for you. It would be like competing in the 100m dash with a motorcycle. No matter the model you use, it's going to be noticed.

Exploiting however takes advantage of known/unknown issues in the game. It's much harder to notice from a backend perspective - if not impossible to notice at all. Alluding to the 100m dash example, it would be like choosing a lane that's slightly shorter or has some unseen advantage(s) over the others.

While both are cheating, the end result is obtained through a different method. Exploiting leaves no trace, so from a dev's perspective they would have to rely on multiple reports containing picture/video evidence to prove something fishy is actually going on. That's not to say exploiting shouldn't be punished like hacking, but please be careful intertwining the two as one is significantly harder to deal with than the other.
  11. JustGotSuspended

Ah yes, the conspiracy theorists telling others they're in denial lol

stay woke
  12. JustGotSuspended

so...like it does now?!!???!?!

the way it's implemented I can understand how ignorant trigger-happy accusers see cheaters everywhere.
  13. JustGotSuspended

so...like it does now?!!???!?!

the way it's implemented I can understand how ignorant trigger-happy accusers see cheaters everywhere.
  14. OldSchoolD

No, like it's implemented in other games, where you go back to about 2 seconds before the player killed you, always seeing the action from his 1st person perspective, and continue following the killer in 1st person view, always from his perspective, for up to a minute. You cannot start redeploy until you exit spectator mode.

In a game where outcomes are determined by the player's pc seems logical that that info should be public. It would also help newer players understand the flawed mechanics of the game and stop being served in silver platter to those who learned to abuse them. And it would provide evidence to the public, to help catching those who do cheat.
    • Up x 3
  15. JustGotSuspended

I guess. Although how many ppl would actually watch this stuff instead of skipping it like the tutorial? Besides, keep in mind most skilled players have their own youtube already anyways.

But if it doesn't bother anyone and is feasible, I see no harm in adding that I guess.
  16. MonnyMoony

Seeing the kill from the killers perspective would likely help - since your perspective and theirs often differ due to client side.

There are times when you feel cheated when killed - but if you could see it from the killers perspective it would look totally reasonable (e.g. you were behind cover on your screen, but not on theirs).
    • Up x 3
  17. pnkdth

It is has been mentioned before but apparently this ruins the game for people who flank (and camp strange positions). Which is kind of strange since it would cut both ways and force everyone to evolve their style of play. It would also be a positive aspect for new and inexperienced players to actually see what's up on the other end. Indeed, it would reduce the number of feelbad-moments where players get dunked on from angles they don't even knew existed.

A net positive effects really. If I could like your post twice over, I would. Like MonnyMoony mentioned, it would also clear up any clientside derpiness.
    • Up x 1
  18. pnkdth

Take a few steps back and what you're claiming is that all these outfits and SOE to RPG have managed to keep this conspiracy under wraps for 9 years without a single slip up. We're talking script kiddies and people who buy cheats not intelligence operatives. All it would take is one disgruntled player, outfit drama, or anyone to react for this to blow up in their faces. Just one time, just one person, and *boom* the lid would be blown open.
  19. JustGotSuspended

you're just not woke enough you silly cheater apologetic!

Aliens exist, they arrived long ago from a planet unknown to mankind using technology they vaporized after their arrival on earth. They've secretly morphed into a form identical to humans, to avoid being detected. They taught humans how to build and helped us become the civilization we are today. The few real humans who know about this let it happen because they don't want to jeopardize technological progress.

I'm actually an alien myself although you'll never be able to prove it because I've adopted an identical human form.

.....yeah all jokes aside if people can believe and spread such foolish conspiracies then turn on others for ridiculing them, they seriously should have 0 ability to judge others.