5 Tips for Tanks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BengalTiger, Nov 20, 2012.

1. BengalTiger

It used to be, now all tank shells fly out of the camera- the visible tracer will fly through walls if it has to, and will merge with the real (invisible) shell after some distance.

The only things that changed are some tank specific details, the fact remains that tanks are more armored on the front, the P has good mobility, the L has the smallest turret, and the M has a hull mounted main gun- all with the same inherent advantages and disadvantages they had in Beta.
    • Up x 1
  2. Phrygen

i meant its harder to aim because you have to re calibrate for the second shot.
  3. KlyptoK

Sorry, I accidentally quoted the wrong post when I was at work, but I guess you could do that too xD
  4. BengalTiger

You don't anymore. All projectiles, including rockets from lolpods, now originate in the player's viewpoint. The shells/bullets/rockets that are visible are only visuals, and not the collision models.

To check this from a tank:
    -Put the gun barrel of a tank into a wall/boulder/building while being able to see beyond it and shoot. The shell will fly through the building and keep going.
    -Put the gun barrel clear of any obstacle, but have the camera aimed at something really close. The shell will disappear as soon as it flies past the obstacle, and there will be an explosion on it.
    -Fire the gun at a long range target and look at the shell closely. It'll fly a bit to the side for some time and then change direction to go straight away from the tank- it does this to merge with the real (collision) shell, and then both become one and follow the collision shell's trajectory.

From a airplane:
    Hover with a Liberator so that the crosshair is just above an obstruction, while the nose gun is blocked. Enjoy hitting the target, with bullets flying through whatever is blocking the gun.
  5. KlyptoK

He's talking about the shot recoil that is an inherit flaw of firing a double barrel cannon asynchronously.

Also, as a Vanguard driver I feel that the shots coming from the camera was a flat nerf. It is now difficult to eyeball ranges of 100+m because the shot will curveball to line up with the invisible projectile (stupid). It has also become slightly more difficult to hit aircraft.
    • Up x 1
  6. Phrygen

thank you.

And yes, i'm not gonna act like the camera change didn't help my prowler, but for the life of me i miss so many shots on ESFs now... i used to be a menace with the offset barrel... no idea why.
  7. BengalTiger

It was possible to see how much off the shell was back then.
  8. KlyptoK

Yeah, a number of people in my outfit have said that it was harder to shoot aircraft after the camera change. It took us a while to realize it was because of the curveball effect that was doing it.

When looking up at the sky with no real terrain or points of reference (I mean really, those tick marks aren't going to help you hit aircraft unless they are hovering) the psychological effect of the shot curving can really throw off your aim.
  9. BengalTiger

Tip # n+1:
    Don't watch the tracer until it curves its flight path. It may give a headache, but it works.
  10. Phrygen

omg yes...

/facepalm...
  11. Dead soldier

bump cause I like old threads.
    • Up x 1
  12. Saool

Very useful thread. Appologies though, I simply must indulge myself. :p

1. play TR
    2. play TR
    3. play TR
    4. For the *%{|$* %#*~€+ love of god don't play VS
    5. Play TR
  13. Trooper4211

Magrider, easier...
    You just went full ******, never go full ******.
  14. NC_agent00kevin

Something to note: One Python AP round from a Lightning sets a full HP ESF on fire. Only if they immediately land and repair or run fire suppression will they survive it. Usually its hurt so bad that if I cant land another shot they land it too hard and blow up anyway. So yes - its takes two to outright destroy it but the majority of the time one hit does the trick.
    • Up x 1
  15. BengalTiger

It's been a while, but whatever...

Rise ye, necro thread.
    Rise ye!!!

All y'all,
    I'll revive this thread rather than creating a new one - I just re-read the whole thing and by far most of the tips and tricks are very valid to this day. I think there's a lot of newer players who would benefit from spending a bit of time reading through it.
    Not only my own tutorial posts are worth reading, others made good comments so skip them at your own risk.

I will focus on the very advanced setups this time around as everything else is already covered.

I'll start out with the Lightning...
    Or actually, one needs an ANT before getting the Lighting, lemme explain why.
    The player needs to build a base consisting of a silo, a spawn point and a vehicle pad - that's it, nothing more. Set it up somewhere behind a friendly base, where it's very unlikely to be discovered. Then fill up the silo. All this should take some 5-10 minutes.

Well over 100 Lightnings can be spawned for cortium in a full silo. This makes the Lightning (and Sundy, and Harasser) incredibly cost effective, and such a base can support a full squad for a full evening.

Bonus points: Landing pad
    Why not have planes for cortium as well?

So...

Setup # 1: The Imposter
    The Lightning does not make a very good head on slugging match vehicle. We'll have to work around this a bit.

Go with the L100 AP and engage ONLY those who are open for a rear shot to win battles before they even start. The shootout is just the last chapter of the engagement. Go with zoom optics to keep a safer distance from the targets. This decreases the chance they figure out what's going on at all.

When proficient one can actually find a lone enemy, ram them from behind, honk the horn and destroy them before taking much damage. This is my preferred way of bounty hunting.

Upgrade 1: Stealth
    Vehicle stealth makes the tank not show up on the map for enemies, if they only hear it drive by they will not consider it dangerous - it's a Lightning in their friendly territory, they drive around all the time.
    Upgrade 2: Speeeeed.
    Racer chassis is a must. Flanking around the enemy often requires a drive.
    Upgrade 3: Fire suppression.
    Emergency repairs on the go are very useful. There is no time to get out and repair safely until back behind friendly lines.

Bonus points: Cosmetics
    Do not put any faction specific symbols on it - no decals, no holographic logo hood ornament. Use camo that fits the terrain you'll be hiding in. Even if enemies see your tank, they will often still not consider it dangerous, especially if it's far away enough to not show its true colors.

More coming soon.
    That's all, y'all.
  16. BengalTiger

Double post, SORRY!
    • Up x 1
  17. ican'taim

bruh this thread is 8 years old