[Suggestion] New Flight Controls & Mouse Tethering

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HexJei, Feb 12, 2021.

1. HexJei

New Flight Controls
    I'm sure this has been brought up countless times by anyone and everyone who's ever piloted an aircraft in any other game, but this needs to be addressed. The flight controls are impractical and needlessly overcomplicate piloting aircraft (which greatly discourages pilots). This wouldn't be an issue if it were possible to rebind mouse controls, but unfortunately the mouse is permanently bound to Roll and Pitch (unorthodox for PC flight controls). This isn't to say aircraft are unflyable, it's just very discouraging to new players and even veteran pilots from other games.

I am suggesting they should add a second set of flight controls that we can select, where the mouse is bound to Yaw and Pitch rather than Roll and Pitch.

Current Control Template (Set 1):
    Throttle - W/S
    Yaw - A/D
    Roll - Mouse Left/Right
    Pitch - Mouse Up/Down

New Control Template (Set 2):
    Throttle - W/S
    Yaw - Mouse Left/Right
    Roll - A/D
    Pitch - Mouse Up/Down

Keep in mind, this is not a suggestion to replace the current flight controls. I am suggesting that a second template of mouse controls to be added that we can select (or give us the ability to change the mouse controls ourselves).

Mouse Tethering
    Mouse tethering is an option in other flight games where your mouse is not locked to the center of the screen, but is instead tethered to the center of the screen. The further you move your mouse from the center, the faster you will rotate on the relevant axis, essentially acting as a joystick. This would be highly beneficial to new pilots, or anyone who hates having to swipe their mousepad 15 times just rotate 180 degrees.

If anyone here has genuine contact to a developer, it would be much appreciated if you could relay this suggestion to them. Feel free to repost on other platforms if you wish, I just want this game to improve.
    • Up x 2
  2. OneShadowWarrior

The first Planetside had better flight mechanics, I even used a joystick.

PS2 Flight mechanics frustrating.
    • Up x 2
  3. HexJei

I can fly relatively well with the restrictions, it's just far from my preference, it makes flying not enjoyable (for most people). I can't imagine how many pilots this game has lost because of it.
  4. Bonemiser

I really do wonder why they changed flight controls so significantly in the sequel. It's unlike anything else in the game, and performs better than anything else in the game. Just seems like bad game design to have the most obtuse vehicle also be the most imbalanced one.
    • Up x 1
  5. BengalTiger

I'd actually like a control setup where the airplane follows the cursor, a la War Thunder.

Also, a Harasser has a tendency to oversteer in some conditions but will understeer in others.
    A Sundy has a bad understeer in some conditions but will be glued to the road in others.
    Tanks can use mass and momentum to get over obstacles, but cannot maneuver good when going very fast due to said mass and momentum...

But flight models don't really simulate any form of energy management or maneuverability vs speed characteristics at all.
    In other words airplane physics would need a little bit of an update, if only up to par with ground vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  6. iller

Actually, if you ever try A2G'ing with anything BUT hover, you totally notice the Momentum immediately. Especially if you pull out of dives at the last second like I do on my hit-and-run Racer loadout. The PROBLEM with all ESF fighting in this game and Dogfighting especially, is Hover frame3 and how it literally breaks the Physics. It breaks Newbie's Brains when trying to understand how to even aim at their ESF opponents. Not only that but it with heavy A.B. use it breaks simulated-projectile to Hitbox interactions, and it COULD be used in combination with certain packet spoofing methods to give an A.A. attacker "ghost hits" even when using a Skyguard or it at least used to for a long period of time in this game's previous patches. It breaks all balance standards when used by Banshee padders. And it will continue to Break the entire game far into the future for crap we haven't even been promised yet as new features.

ESF's if they ONLY had Racer or that clunky faster-turning one no one uses... would be a lot more straight-forward to deal with. But they're not and it's because everyone who wants the easy mode version of flying just runs the same Frame day in and day out (unless they're just using it as a taxi to get to the next base)
  7. Clone117

Just wants to put pitch and yaw on the same stick.
  8. TremadogMk2

I used to use aircraft to get around a bit in the first game but in PS2 I almost never use them. I see what veteran pilots can do in PS2 and just feel that I'm safer on the ground. I'm also far less likely to fly into a tree. :p
  9. InexoraVC

ESF in PS2 isn't a plane. It is a helicopter or "hoverplane".
    After a 1.5 yrs of flying everything I need is a 3d map with spotted enemies and a height/altitude indicator in 3rd person view.
    And my suggestion for further improvement of the physics is a "more gravity". Planes should fall faster and should have more speed/acceleration while pitch down. That would be nice for A2A and A2G fights.