[Suggestion] T.I. Alloys

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Feb 10, 2021.

1. RabidIBM

Ok, it has now happened, this base has been de-activated, and Indar has a giant eye sore in the middle of the continent. However, it shouldn't be gone forever. Surly at some point it will get reintroduced with modifications.

It should come as no surprise that among the things which were discussed on the platoon chatter last night were what could be done to improve the base before it gets re implemented. I'm sure my platoon wasn't alone in this.

So, let's open the floor here, good ideas, bad ideas, half finished ideas, bat **** insane ideas, bring 'em out and let's try to keep the discussion positive. What would improve T.I. Alloys?

1. Not my idea, someone else in platoon suggested it: Add 2 vehicle capture points to the land around T.I. Alloys. Similar to Ikanam Bio Lab on Amerish, where the infantry can force a long capture timer by holding the infantry only arena, but if they don't break out they eventually get sieged out. This would allow for the big fights that people loved, particularly off hours when the whole continent simply is not going to be used, but would eventually end the fight because if the defending faction can't control the land around the base, then the hard spawn is probably their only spawn, and losing it loses the fight completely.

2. This one is mine: Modify the building which has A point, and move the point. The building with A point has the two sets of stairs on either side of the building going to an upper floor. On the upper floor, between the two sets of stairs, and yet another set of stairs going up again to a 3rd floor. Put the control point up there (obviously add boxes and other clutter and extra entrances to make it interesting, but the exact layout of such details is not critical to the concept). The point is that this moves the control point just a bit farther away from everybody's spawn points. It's a small enough distance that it shouldn't mess up anyone's ops, but the likelihood of leaderless "trickle tactics" breaking through diminishes with every meter of ground which has to be gained. This would make the base a bit more like Sungrey West Gate on Amerish, which has interesting fights, but they don't last all day.
  2. JibbaJabba

Can we pause and back up first maybe?

Players always go to base A, instead of base X,Y and Z. Yes?

Happens at Ti Alloys. The Biolabs on Esamir. The old crown. Those bridges that used to exist between Scarred mesa and Regent Rock.

Players go to these "Base A" instead of the XYZ.

So what happens?

Everyone talks about A. At length. Dev takes note. Dev starts looking at A, maybe changes it. Maybe does something utterly stupid, maybe not.

Why is nobody talking about XYZ?
    Why in this case would we go F with A? It's the thing people like! Go F with XYZ! They are the bases we don't like. Make us choose between two A bases!

I was looking at video of all the awesome fights I had at the previous A. I had so much fun. Too much apparently so dev and their enablers took it away.

I hate this. I hate what's being done with Ti. It's going to be just more "remember when..." that makes me sad.
    • Up x 5
  3. Towie

A good post - people play where they want to play so to make that base 'unavailable' isn't really a great idea, despite the fact that some may moan that it's taking all of the focus and population. Well yeah maybe - but - they are having fun and if i'm not mistaken, that's what it's all about.

Oh remember the days of the old Crown ;)
    • Up x 2
  4. OneShadowWarrior

Yeah, nice job another one less base to fight. Might as well stick us all in VR training to all duke it out, like the shoebox Esamir was made into.
  5. Toppestofkeks

So they removed TI alloys huh? The single most popular hex in the entire game for which entire outfits have been formed, to fight ONLY on this hex? Holy....****. Well then, 2012-2021, it was good to know you planetside, I've poured many thousands of hours into this game but it seems its time to finally move on. At least you've satisfied the loud minority....
    • Up x 1
  6. MonnyMoony

All that will happen is that another base will become the nu-TI alloys.

I remember after launch, that base used to be the Crown. Fights used to get stuck there for hours. They gradually changed the base, hex layout, capture points etc - and eventually the fights migrated to Ti instead.

With the removal of Ti, I reckon fights will move back to the Crown or perhaps move to Ceres or Crossroads. Removing Ti won't solve the problem of fights getting stuck in one place, because that problem is not caused by the base itself, it's caused by the underlying game mechanics, objective system, reward system etc.
    • Up x 2
  7. PinkHurtsMyEyes

You know with the "disabling" of TI alloys. That base is not the problem with indar, and it never was. AND maybe if they didnt remove the bridge it wouldnt be so hard to push back and fort from the crown. The fact devs think this is ok is crazy... this isn't test.

And if they don't like "the indar-T" it's easy to fix, but they won't.

Bet next try is rebalancing the Orion cause they "feel" vanu takes ti alloy "too fast" with the gun performing 0.0000132% above expected ideal... You know, just like they "felt" HESH tanks should not be at an disadvantage vs AP tanks cause nobody could predict what that would lead to...
  8. JibbaJabba

Yep each time they do this the fight moves to another base. And each time that new fight is not quite as fun as the old one.

I mean for those of you thinking Ti was fun... whoa you should have seen the classic crown. VERY tough base, named so for a reason. Fights were epic, all day at times, and FUN.

Do people fight now at Ti Because it was made better? Nope. They fight there because the better fight was removed.

Who knows... maybe people will go back to the Crown now. But not because it's better again but because it's the best of what's left over.
    • Up x 1
  9. Scurge

So yeah... All we did was move to Crown.
  10. Peebuddy

I liked the old crown too, and Ti alloys for that fact. But they were seriously going against the eb-and-flow that a 3 faction latice system map is supposed to offer.

As a faction pushes another they suddenly have more territory to defend and would then be pushed back by the other two factions, in theory at least. But old crown and Ti-alloys that wouldn't happen, 80% of the faction would stay at those bases and just capitulate the rest of their territory. The old crown was notorious for that.

You're probably not going to agree with me on this but bases need to be capturable with 50/50 pop, may the best team win. But with the crown and ti-alloys (or biolabs for that matter) I see 50/50 and say to myself "well that's not gonna happen", if I go there I'm just going to get farmed by enemies in superior firing positions.
    • Up x 3
  11. Demigan

As I've said before and will say again, removing or modifying bases that have 24/7 fights is not the way to go. Players wont suddenly enjoy the gameplay they've been avoiding by removing what they did like. The way to get them out is by making it more fun to actually play the game's goals and objectives

As for TI Alloys the idea's presented by OP are the classic "lets make sure that every base falls at some point to force movement on the map" idea's. Attackers are almost guaranteed to have vehicle advantage, placing vehicle points outside and letting the defenders try to defeat the vehicles with infantry is basically just asking for a timed farmfest in favor of the attackers.

Lets just make the base nice to defend and nice to attack:

Add buildings to the west cliffside where players from the north can place Sunderers and fight uphill between buildings. It has a few tunnels passing beneath the vehicle spawnpoint so you dont have to cross that. The spawnpoint would need moving so you dont have to fight passed the spawn. You could place it underground and have several exits and teleporters.
    The east side you could re-instate the bridge, it was useful for both TI Alloys and the Crown to assault each other. Beneath the bridge you could place another sunderer garage and a tunnel system into TI Alloys (you could do a similar thing at the Crown).
    You can place a shielded teleporter room right into the path of several routes, making defending easy. However you could link each room to an individual SCU that is placed close to the teleporter room. That creates a stragetic thing to destroy and limit the defender's abilities while the defenders get a stragetic place to defend or repair. The SCU could have a short timer if its hard to get and hold the objective, or even allow them to be destroyed by small-arms fire similar to how it was proposed around the beta.

Place a few turrets near the road so infantry has a chance to fend off vehicles, place some especially to oversee the bend where vehicles are spawned. Also maybe add a second subterranean vehicle spawn facing southwest with some space to safely gather vehicles so they get a chance to use vehicles to defend themselves.
  12. Rooster128

THIS. ALL OF THIS. TI Alloys is awesome, it's fun. That's why everyone goes there. The Crown / TI Alloys have been a staple of Indar since Beta. It doesn't need a change. Other bases on Indar might however.
  13. OldSchoolD

The end result of destroying 3-way and big fights is that many of us get tired of pressing instant action every 2 minutes and constantly be looking at the map scrambling for a balanced fight. I am not interested in getting bored in a rolling zergfit to win a meaningless prize. People should be able to casually log in and right away start pointing and shooting at things until they log out. They've been making it harder and harder to have fun in this game, is the sunk cost the only thing that keeps us here?
  14. JibbaJabba

So why don't they stop looking at A and go with XYZ.

Pick base Y - some nondescript 1 point base somewhere in the wastelands of northwest or southeast in Indar and just revamp that sucker.

Pick a base nobody fights at, nobody gives a crap about and fix that one.

Just overhault it, give it sustainable locations for both offense and defense and let players have at it.
  15. BengalTiger

People flock to some bases for some reason...
    Bases such as the old Crown, Ti Alloys, the Ascent, Biolabs obviously, The Octagon (although it's not called The Octagon anymore - who knows which base I'm talking about?), what else... Eisa Tech and Indar Comm have amazing combined arms battles in and around them... Mao comes to mind as well, and so does Auraxis Firearms and Heyoka Chemical.

What do these have in common? Well, some are on the high ground, others are fortified or hard to reach due to terrain.

They're easy to defend. The reason there are long @$$ battles with millions of players over some bases but not others is that they are easy to defend.

Nobody cares about a base they can't hold on to, and nobody cares about a base that's a ghost cap.
    People want a good battle, that's what the game should be about.
    Removing one of the best bases in the game makes it worse, how 'bout updating other bases so they're harder to cap?

That said - not impossible to cap, because at some point the battle gets lopsided for defenders (remember biolabs in the early days and how it took forever to take control of the entrance from the landing pads - the only ways in?).
  16. csvfr

The downside of TI alloys is it's lack of strategic value and it can't really be compared to off-centre bases like Biolabs and Indar Comm. Simply because after capturing e.g. Heyoka Chemical it adds a score to the empire strength, it is clear where to proceed, and all effort put into an offense/defense needs to be countered by one opposing faction. These bases are nice targets when it is desirable to target one of the two other factions, e.g. if it is leading an alert or is the closest runner up.

With TI Alloys, from the North WG, after capturing it, a prime fighting area between the other two factions has just been ruined and the 100+ enemy players will need to be countered. Also where to next? It is not really possible to take both TI and the Crown unless it is off-peak hours/reduced lattice alert with major population imbalances. That makes the south-west route toward Allatum the only possible one, but any progress is likely to be nullified fast by the Southeast warpgate as they retake TI whilst the Allatum fighting occurs. If the Southeast faction captures TI, the option of going north towards ceres is available, but many times an uncoordinated force will keep pressing towards Seabed instead of going east towards Galaxy Solar. Thus they too fall into the same trap of forcing a double-team when they disturb fighting near Dahaka and any territory gained cut off as Ceres is recaptured.

Indar without TI alloys is a better Indar, and promotes fighting at bases that until now rarely saw any action.
  17. BengalTiger

So the supply lines need to change. Delete the connection to Ceres Hydroponics from Ti.
    Then there used to be a land bridge between Crown and Ti, model it's remains to block the canyon (so the map will actually tell a story over time, which would be really cool in my book - there used to be a crossing from Ti to Ceres, but the land bridge collapsed and now the road is blocked).

Now only the Crown would be in the center of all attention (which it is by design), but Ti itself is still available for gameplay and only a West - East issue, and not a 3-way anymore.

If we don't want a big North/South divide on Indar then perhaps a new road should be built near Snake Ravine up to Allatum Botany (perhaps make the sharp curve West of the bridge into an intersection, y'know, the place that all Vanguards and Sundies refuse to take and crash into the rocks when going downhill at full speed).
    Then the number of N-S paths is the same, but they are better spread out over the continent.

Also, while you see the RTS side of Planetside, most players only look at it as a shooter, and don't think about the big picture.