Thanks, PlanetSide 2.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThanksPS2, Jan 25, 2021.

1. ThanksPS2

Note: this has been copied over from a post I made on Reddit. I at least wanted to make my point known here for those who don't wish to use Reddit and because I have the relevant posting privileges for this forum.

Edit from OP: sometime after I've originally posted this, I've decided PlanetSide 2 seems to be no longer for me - it may take a lot of cajoling on my part and maybe others' for me to get back to it. I'll miss the community (compared to that of other shooters at the very least) and what it's meant to me, and I'll hope that PlanetSide 3 will start to be more my taste with regards to gameplay. If PlanetSide 3 won't be a thing, I at least hope there will be a game out there for me that I can sink some time into.
    • Up x 4
  2. ZDarkShadowsZ

Posts like this make me sad. Mostly because so much of it is true. A lot of older players end up suffering burn out and we just end up leaving the game. Some people finally come back after 5 years and there's a ton of new content for them to explore, but then ultimately discover it's still the same game they left.

I suffer terrible burn out with this game. I rarely play for more than an hour to an hour and a half. Last night I played for 3 hours because it was one of the rare occasions that I actually had fun. Spent the majority of it flying my Valkyrie or tanking with a friend. Those moments however, are so few and far between.

I understand the issue with not wanting to be in an outfit or join squads. This is why I play with just 1 friend. We make our own fun and contribute to the fight in our own way. I wouldn't say my K/D is amazing, but it's reasonable enough for me to say I'm not the worst player in the world. I would be lying if I said I didn't always care about it. This game makes me feel forced to care about it. Sometimes when I play alone it can be an incredibly boring experience because I end up doing the same usual things over and over. I started making my own fun by trying to aurax knives and joke around with gimmick weapons like the candy cannon. The fun and enjoyment only lasts so long though.
    • Up x 4
  3. netBattler

I've played individually a lot and my overall KDR is 1.9. Not godly, but not terrible. Certainly not struggling with what you're struggling with. To my credit, some days, my daily KDR is as high as 14, strictly playing infantry. But I play nonchalantly enough, often enough, so that my overall KDR doesn't reflect that. If you check my killboard, you will in fact see that I go on 20+ kill rampages sometimes. (ign: netBattl3r)

One of the biggest differences between my playstyle and yours is probably game sense. You can't put yourself in situations you're not equipped for. That is a very meaningful statement that makes more sense as you think longer about it. Don't just run in and die.

The more you position yourself in winning situations, the more you win.
    • Up x 3
  4. ThanksPS2

I admit it's tempting to rush in, but also because I just feel like there's almost no point in me trying to come out of a battle alive so I just rush anyway. I'm going to get sniped by an infiltrator or a tank if I'm not careful enough even if I keep my distance, or somehow my aim will be off and tackling heavies for me in particular remains quite an annoying challenge (I don't have a particularly good setup for gaming at the moment and just want to play games as a time sink and to distract myself from personal issues in my downtime).

I'm quite disappointed with myself because I once got like 60 kills and 10 deaths in a session, although this was when the devs decided to create separate lobbies for beginner players (started a new character again I think).

I could just need more sleep and improve my setup (gaming laptop with Ryzen 7 3750H, mobile RTX 2060). The latter I can't sort out immediately as I have more pressing concerns than improving my gaming experience, but gaming is one of the few things I enjoy in my spare time. I'm trying to get back into other games and/or other hobbies for downtime.
    • Up x 1
  5. ThanksPS2

They should do either what Rising Storm 2: Vietnam or Titanfall 2 do:
    - The former hides someone's death count in main gameplay and buries the KDR statistic in menus.
    - The latter just doesn't record it for the player to see. At all. Even though Titanfall 2 players only play Attrition (TDM) these days.

I'm glad that the devs care enough about trying to cater to a diverse array of play styles (a lot of tactical military shooters feel too serious for me too, for reasons related to targeting certain play styles and otherwise), but it's quite frustrating for those who enjoy the team play aspect of it to have others who play individually only for KDR and have those lone wolves be gratified for it sometimes to the detriment of team players, or less skilled lone wolves be disappointed by how relatively difficult it is to have fun. I do hope PlanetSide 3 or at least future updates to the game will get closer and closer to making the best for both worlds.

I'm considering getting back into other games and/or hobbies to pass my spare time. I do hope that if I wish to come back to this game it starts being fun for me and continues to be fun for everyone else.
    • Up x 2
  6. ican'taim

Two words: Stalker Infiltrator
    • Up x 1
  7. ThanksPS2

I love how persuasive this sounds, but I just don't feel very confident with playing more specialized roles, such as Infiltrator and Engineer. I'd also need to know how to counter the freakin' Heavy Assaults when I only have the Emissary machine pistol unlocked across all factions and characters. I've spent enough money on the game, I'll have to think about whether I want to spend time to unlocking revolvers.

What appeals to me about shooters is being like an action hero or at least being exceptionally talented as someone who is assigned to be an average Joe. Infiltrators to me aren't average Joes because their role would require some pretty specialized tactics in-universe. Then again, I quite like stealth gameplay too although I'm annoyed with myself how bad I am with it in multiplayer.

Playing Stalker Infiltrator to me is kind of like a more annoying version of Prop Hunt, annoying because of PS2's gunplay. I'll see what I can achieve though with just this should I choose to get back into this game. I enjoyed playing Recon in BF4 but mostly as an incredibly selfish and somewhat stealthier version of Assault who can deploy spawn points.
    • Up x 1
  8. JustGotSuspended

I would suggest playing light assault or medic. Medic can become even tankier than a heavy when played right, and when played wrong you can at least say you contributed to your faction through heals/revives. Not to mention they have access to some of the best weapons in game.

Light assaults are super fun to play, and they provide a lot of action and crazy streaks. It is a class that while can be difficult to master, it's very quick to learn and will likely provide more fun as a beginner then trying to learn a difficult class like engineer or heavy, or a boring infil/vehicle playstyle.

As for your comment about pistols, I would ditch the revolvers and go with the pilot. From what I understand, I don't think you'd be able to make the most out of revolvers. The pilot offers faster ttk anyways, and is a bit more forgiving. Obviously just practice movement, positioning and aiming for the head. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube for this.

If you want to hop on Connery and ping me in game I can offer to help you, or put you in relation with outfits/squads that could help you as well. I'm below average, I have a very aggressive playstyle and focus on directives as well. That said I was able to revive a character with at least 50k deaths and a less than 0.6 KDR with little/no directives to one with nearly every infantry/weapons directive completed with an overall 1.05 KDR, that keeps rising 0.001 each session.

Stats don't really mean much to me, but if they do to you I can put you in contact with these types of people in game, because I like making friends/acquaintances and trying to kill good players. Those players would not mind assisting and mentoring you, I'm sure.
    • Up x 1
  9. ican'taim

Short guide/tips:
    1. Equip Stalker cloak, and upgrade it a bit.
    2. (Optinal, but recommended) Buy a power knife, they OHK when activated. If you want some range get the Ameratisu, but it requires 3 hits to kill.
    3. Play a defensive playstile. Always assume that you're one misstep away from death.
    4. Sneak behind the front line. Kill people who are idle or unaware, and once they're gone slip back into the shadows.
    5. Revolvers are optional, but they'll put you on the minimap. You have been warned.
    6. Equip medkits/restoration kits in your slot. If it is nighttime, you CAN equip infradine kits instead (A7 unlock), but be aware that you cannot heal.
    7. This is the only time you don't constantly spot enemies. If you call out a hostile, you're dead. Recon darts are okay though, just be careful.
    Keep in mind this playstyle will take practice. You won't magically become a killing machine, you'll need to learn when to uncloak, which enemy to attack, what fights to choose, etc.
    • Up x 1
  10. ThanksPS2

I have mained light assault although I seem to be quite sloppy these days. I don't focus on directives.
  11. ThanksPS2

I deliberately avoid revolvers because I can't use suppressors with them. I'll see if I will still want to come back to this although I'm still quite persuaded.
    • Up x 1